In Ketosis, but I didn't intend to be...

Options

Replies

• andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    This really isn't fun any more with the OP having gone MIA....

ALt38gv.jpg
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYsMWwZOkmIznQzgrZ42cQm8l5YTY4zC0rxcENjyp8rqfGyzy5
  • trinatrina1984
    Options
    Oh man, yall are bad.

Ketones are visible oil bodies in the urine. You don't need to test for something you can see. But go ahead and take that pregnancy test for funsies.

You can't see ketones in your pee, sorry.

/he says to a chemist, lol
    I would rather not send a picture. But, there's oil floating around in my pee. If it's not ketones, what, pray tell, would they be?

Ketones are generated from fat, but are not fats. They are water soluble so you would not see them as an oil in your urine.

One might imagine that this pearl of knowledge might have been posted prior to page 18.
    One or two times.
    Maybe.

It is true. I was more than a little late to the party. ????

That's ok, we have popcorn and martinis.

Thank goodness we do. :wink:
    giphy.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfCxzRyc5fxoJzBfuga2CSSBDAzmYkEDsXXRtOxVIGtyMNqOKl0A
  • Mirabai77
    Options
    If you're not very sensitive to carbs, you can be in ketosis at pretty high levels of carbohydrate intake. If you are eating 1200 calories, and 30 percent of those calories come from carbs, that's 90 net carbs, and it's definitely possible to be in ketosis. You also did not say how high your ketone levels are. From what I've read, it's normal for people to have some level of ketones even on a moderately carb intake. It's levels from .5-3.5 that reflect nutritional ketosis. Ketone sticks that measure ketones in urine are nutoriously inaccurate, so if you're really wanting to have a good sense of where you are, you need to invest in a ketone blood meter, and the strips are pricey $2-4 a pop. I've recently learned that the novamax meter may not be very reliable either, which is a bummer because it has the cheapest strips. Lastly, I am similarly curious where the question is coming from. Are you trying NOT to be in nutritional ketosis or are you wondering if it's possible that you are despite the fact that you're eating a fairly high amount of carbs? Either way, as long at your ketones are below 4 mmol., you're fine and don't need to see a doctor.

I've read a few books recently that you might be interested in depending on what your aim is here. Dr.s Phinney and Volek have written 3 good ones: the New Atkins Diet for a New You, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, and the Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance. The one I'm currently working my way through, which is definitely my favorite, is Good Calories, Bad Calories, by Gary Taubes.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I know this has been posted several times already, but I'm going to add as well. See, I'm a type 1 diabetic. So unlike the OP and most of the rest of you, I actually have the ability to go into DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis, which is not the same as ketosis). I have, in fact, had such high levels of ketones that I was at risk of a heart attack as a result (much more than the OP could possibly have). I still could not see any ketones in my urine - they had to be tested.

And another thing: Maybe the OP has gone MIA because whatever was actually wrong with her killed her?
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    "Ketone bodies are elevated in the blood (ketosis) after fasting, including a night of sleep; in both blood and urine in starvation;"

Copied from wikipedia - found this in 2 minutes.

But where does it say they're visible in urine? That's the burning issue.

I don't seem to trust a phrase that isn't even a complete sentence. There is no context to it. And it is on Wikipedia. I mean, you have to absolutely believe everything you read on Wikipedia because everyone knows what they are talking about. In fact, it is so legit that the most prestigious schools allow you to use it as a source.

is meaningless without context; purple cats and horse manure; electron dot configuration;
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

And another thing: Maybe the OP has gone MIA because whatever was actually wrong with her killed her?

Can't believe this thread is still going strong...unlike the OP. RIP
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    In on last page!
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    How. Much. Longer.

??????????
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    or2ets.png

Have there been any pee induced pile ups in your town over the last couple of days?

And because dancing kidneys are still funny

izqi43.gif
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    "Ketone bodies are elevated in the blood (ketosis) after fasting, including a night of sleep; in both blood and urine in starvation;"

I don't seem to trust a phrase that isn't even a complete sentence. There is no context to it. And it is on Wikipedia. I mean, you have to absolutely believe everything you read on Wikipedia because everyone knows what they are talking about. In fact, it is so legit that the most prestigious schools allow you to use it as a source.

is meaningless without context; purple cats and horse manure; electron dot configuration;

Purple monkey dishwasher...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    or2ets.png

Have there been any pee induced pile ups in your town over the last couple of days?

izqi43.gif

Is this a left kidney or a right kidney? I am trying to figure out which organ he sassed off and was stabbed by... I am trying to explain the suture line across his butt. Are the green things in his hand money from the court settlement post-stabbing?

Does he excrete an oily film?

I need more answers. :grumble:
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    or2ets.png

izqi43.gif

Is this a left kidney or a right kidney? I am trying to figure out which organ he sassed off and was stabbed by... I am trying to explain the suture line across his butt. Are the green things in his hand money from the court settlement post-stabbing?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Myxalplyx
    Myxalplyx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Oh man, yall are bad.

Ketones are visible oil bodies in the urine. You don't need to test for something you can see. But go ahead and take that pregnancy test for funsies.

Visible oil bodies in the urine. You need to see an auto mechanic.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    or2ets.png

izqi43.gif

He sold his kidneys!

Both!

What a dumb way to die!

So this is a post mortem money dance? Was he trying to put his adrenal gland through college?

Still so much unanswered.. :frown:
  • trinatrina1984
    Options
    200.gif
  • trinatrina1984
    Options

Purple monkey dishwasher...

200.gif
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    What are we going to do when this thread ends? Where will we go?

I don't think I can adjust to life on the outside.