In Ketosis, but I didn't intend to be...

Options
Hi

I'm looking for educated advice or perhaps links to send me to some further reading on the subject. If you jump in with the dogmatic "eat more carbs" nonsense, I'll boot you from the thread. I have internet, I know how to use it, and I'm looking for more advanced input than what I can get from Yahoo Answers.

Okay, so last week I discovered that my body is in a state of ketosis. I know this because I have ketones in my urine; it's not a guess. I do not eat a keto-diet! While I stay Paleo, my macros are generally 50, 30, 20 for fat, carb, protein, respectively, give or take 10% on any of those. This isn't a ketogenic diet! So what the heck could be going on?

I'm NOT diabetic, nor do I have blood sugar/kidney problems that could cause ketogenesis.

So.... what do ya'll think?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    you probably should see a doctor though
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    If you have keystones in your urine and shouldn't (eat enough carbs to stay out of ketosis) you need to be checked by a Dr!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    How does one boot someone from a thread?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    That is exactly the kind of "input" that I explicitly said I don't need. I have the internet, I'm not stupid. READ before replying, thanks.

You have the internet so that replaces a valid point about seeing a doctor is probably what you need to do?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned seeing a doctor yet?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    How does one boot someone from a thread?

You can't, lol.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Also, why on earth were you doing a test for ketones when you're not trying to eat low carb? Did they have a special on random irrelevant tests at the local drugstore? If so, what other tests did you pick up?
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I know you have internet because you posted this thread on the INTERNET--I would probably see a doctor
  • markrichtsspraytan
    Options
    Also, why on earth were you doing a test for ketones when you're not trying to eat low carb? Did they have a special on random irrelevant tests at the local drugstore? If so, what other tests did you pick up?

I'm curious too... makes me feel like randomly taking a pregnancy test just for funsies.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    That sounds very strange and unusual. Has anyone suggested a doctor visit, perhaps?
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    30 carbs for a few days will put you in ketosis.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm looking for educated advice or perhaps links to send me to some further reading on the subject. If you jump in with the dogmatic "eat more carbs" nonsense, I'll boot you from the thread. I have internet, I know how to use it, and I'm looking for more advanced input than what I can get from Yahoo Answers.

Okay, so last week I discovered that my body is in a state of ketosis. I know this because I have ketones in my urine; it's not a guess. I do not eat a keto-diet! While I stay Paleo, my macros are generally 50, 30, 20 for fat, carb, protein, respectively, give or take 10% on any of those. This isn't a ketogenic diet! So what the heck could be going on?

I'm NOT diabetic, nor do I have blood sugar/kidney problems that could cause ketogenesis.

So.... what do ya'll think?
  • Mcbummers
    Mcbummers Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    you gave us the macro breakdown but haven't said what kind of quantities you're eating.

If you're eating 1200kals a day and doing exercise then you may well be depleting glycogen stores.

We need much more info from you with regards your diet and lifestyle to give a better answer
  • noelboquet
    noelboquet Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    your carbs are low u don't have to be doing atkins inductions at 20 carbs to be in ketosis you just have to be burning out all the fuel in your liver( glycogen) and then pulling from your body ...30 carbs if I am reading what you said correctly is a healthy ketogenic level for a day...30 carbs and u don't blow out your thyroid...anyway u are in ketosis because your liver has no glycogen in it and its putting out ketones ...

Try being nicer to people who are commenting on your thread...so people feel more inclined to help you...
  • thecheesybrie
    thecheesybrie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Oh man, yall are bad.

Ketones are visible oil bodies in the urine. You don't need to test for something you can see. But go ahead and take that pregnancy test for funsies.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    30 carbs for a few days will put you in ketosis.
    I believe that is her macro breakdown in % not actual grams. If it is in grams she is way under eating!