In Ketosis, but I didn't intend to be...

Options

Replies

• northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Ketosis is the abnormal accumulation of ketones in the body as a result of excessive breakdown of fats caused by a deficiency or inadequate use of carbohydrates. Fatty acids are metabolized instead, and the end products, ketones, begin to accumulate. This condition is seen in starvation, occasionally in pregnancy if the intake of protein and carbohydrates is inadequate, and most frequently in diabetes mellitus. It is characterized by ketonuria, loss of potassium in the urine, and a fruity odor of acetone on the breath. Untreated, ketosis may progress to ketoacidosis, coma, and death.
    I would assume, if you are not pregnant or diabetic you are in starvation mode...maybe increase your caloric intake; once your body goes into starvation mode it will store anything you eat as fat as a way to protect itself. This isn't a mode you want to be in...it will make weight loss very difficult.

ABSOLUTELY FALSE.

I don't even know where to begin.
  • northbanu
    Options
    Ketosis is the abnormal accumulation of ketones in the body as a result of excessive breakdown of fats caused by a deficiency or inadequate use of carbohydrates. Fatty acids are metabolized instead, and the end products, ketones, begin to accumulate. This condition is seen in starvation, occasionally in pregnancy if the intake of protein and carbohydrates is inadequate, and most frequently in diabetes mellitus. It is characterized by ketonuria, loss of potassium in the urine, and a fruity odor of acetone on the breath. Untreated, ketosis may progress to ketoacidosis, coma, and death.
    I would assume, if you are not pregnant or diabetic you are in starvation mode...maybe increase your caloric intake; once your body goes into starvation mode it will store anything you eat as fat as a way to protect itself. This isn't a mode you want to be in...it will make weight loss very difficult.

Worse than OP.

Where does this crap come from?
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me of the chicken fat pee thread. Ahhh memories...
  • northbanu
    Options

Please, enlighten me. :happy:
  • northbanu
    Options

Enjoy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/438315-when-is-a-pound-lost-and-where-does-it-go?hl=chicken+fat+pee&page=1

Fan-freaking-tastic! :bigsmile:
  • northbanu
    Options

I think I'm going to post this on all the keto boards. As an honest post, warning everyone that they really should seek treament, and that they are probably starving.
  • cdastouri
    cdastouri Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    30 grams of carbs is low enough to be in Ketosis - I know people who are in it at 40 grams. Maybe see a doctor if it is something else.
  • northbanu
    Options
    Nope, her macro breakdown is 30% carbs, not 30 grams carbs.
  • Rain203
    Rain203 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Any diet that is excessively carb restricted for an extended period of time will produce an accumulation of ketone bodies in blood and urine. Usually diets that are high fat and high protein can cause this. It sounds to me that is the type of diet you are eating. Just check with a doctor to make sure your blood pH doesn't become to low and you have no underlying medical condition.

Not that it matters anymore, as the OP has bailed, BUT......

Ketones are produced when there is a restriction of carbs AND a minimum of protein. Protein must be maintained at reasonable levels because EXCESS protein will be converted to to glucose. Someone wishing to build muscle will be able to eat more protein because the protein will be used to increase/repair muscle, thus limiting the amount of extra protein.

Ketosis is not a result of a high fat diet, it is the result of a low carb diet and proper amounts of protein.

It is not a high protein diet.

I also take umbrage at "excessive carb restriction". The body does not NEED carbs

Yes the body can "make do" without carbs, since as you earlier said ketone bodies are water soluble and are readily taken up by many body tissues including the brain to make ATP. However, during extended fasting or starvation (yes, unlike the girl who posted this thread) the amount of ketone bodies are indeed a major fuel for the brain and heart but is only about one third of the amount the brain usually uses in glucose. Moreover, ketoacidosis can occur (although rare due to body tissues taking in ketone bodies) it is still dangerous and can depress the nervous system. Thus, carbs are not needed, but they are a better fuel for our bodies.
  • northbanu
    Options
    Any diet that is excessively carb restricted for an extended period of time will produce an accumulation of ketone bodies in blood and urine. Usually diets that are high fat and high protein can cause this. It sounds to me that is the type of diet you are eating. Just check with a doctor to make sure your blood pH doesn't become to low and you have no underlying medical condition.

Ketones are produced when there is a restriction of carbs AND a minimum of protein. Protein must be maintained at reasonable levels because EXCESS protein will be converted to to glucose. Someone wishing to build muscle will be able to eat more protein because the protein will be used to increase/repair muscle, thus limiting the amount of extra protein.

Ketosis is not a result of a high fat diet, it is the result of a low carb diet and proper amounts of protein.

I also take umbrage at "excessive carb restriction". The body does not NEED carbs

Yes the body can "make do" without carbs, since as you earlier said ketone bodies are water soluble and are readily taken up by many body tissues including the brain to make ATP. However, during extended fasting or starvation (yes, unlike the girl who posted this thread) the amount of ketone bodies are indeed a major fuel for the brain and heart but is only about one third of the amount the brain usually uses in glucose. Moreover, ketoacidosis can occur (although rare due to body tissues taking in ketone bodies) it is still dangerous and can depress the nervous system. Thus, carbs are not needed, but they are a better fuel for our bodies.

The brain and heart do quite well with carb restricted diets, and are quite happy breaking down fats for fuel. Nutritional ketosis has been used since the 1920's to treat epilepsy when drugs did not / do not work. And there is no indication that ketosis is dangerous in otherwise healthy people, though one study has found shot term memory may slightly suffer, but even that study had some methodology flaws.

I'm NOT saying that ketosis is a super fantastic magic dieting bullet. I'm just saying that carbs aren't required, despite what the USDA food pyramid suggests.

AND.... If one wished to make glucose available to the body, but did not want to consume carbs (for whatever reason) one can do so by simply eating more protein.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Enjoy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/438315-when-is-a-pound-lost-and-where-does-it-go?hl=chicken+fat+pee&page=1

MFP mods need to keep an archived forum for all the classic threads like this. That is just....beautiful.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Oh man, yall are bad.

Ketones are visible oil bodies in the urine. You don't need to test for something you can see. But go ahead and take that pregnancy test for funsies.
    If you are eating enough carbs to stay out of ketosis but have keystones in your urine you need to see a Dr. There may be serous medical issues going on, and prolonging the visit isn't gonna help you get the answers or help you need!

Edit to add you may have a UTI if you see something in your urine. Go see a Dr, maybe your OBGYN?!?

no, no uti. or anything. I thought I made it pretty clear that I'm HEALTHY and aware of my body. It's ketones, 100% sure of it. I just want to know if 50% fat macros are enough to bump me into ketogenesis, since most people go, like, 90%.

It's not. It's possibly chyluria or lipiduria. Ketones are water soluble. See a doctor.
  • Rain203
    Rain203 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

The brain and heart do quite well with carb restricted diets, and are quite happy breaking down fats for fuel. Nutritional ketosis has been used since the 1920's to treat epilepsy when drugs did not / do not work. And there is no indication that ketosis is dangerous in otherwise healthy people, though one study has found shot term memory may slightly suffer, but even that study had some methodology flaws.

I'm NOT saying that ketosis is a super fantastic magic dieting bullet. I'm just saying that carbs aren't required, despite what the USDA food pyramid suggests.

AND.... If one wished to make glucose available to the body, but did not want to consume carbs (for whatever reason) one can do so by simply eating more protein.

From personal experience, which might bias my opinion, I agree that low carb diets cause short term memory problems and in my experience, fatigue. A few years back when I was on a highly carbohydrate restrictive diet with high protein I felt as though my mind was in a constant haze or fog. I truly believe that my brain during that time was not functioning at its optimum potential.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Oh man, yall are bad.

Ketones are visible oil bodies in the urine. You don't need to test for something you can see. But go ahead and take that pregnancy test for funsies.
    If you are eating enough carbs to stay out of ketosis but have keystones in your urine you need to see a Dr. There may be serous medical issues going on, and prolonging the visit isn't gonna help you get the answers or help you need!

Edit to add you may have a UTI if you see something in your urine. Go see a Dr, maybe your OBGYN?!?

no, no uti. or anything. I thought I made it pretty clear that I'm HEALTHY and aware of my body. It's ketones, 100% sure of it. I just want to know if 50% fat macros are enough to bump me into ketogenesis, since most people go, like, 90%.

It's not ketones. It's possibly chyluria or lipiduria. Ketones are water soluble. See a doctor.
  • northbanu
    Options
    From personal experience, which might bias my opinion, I agree that low carb diets cause short term memory problems and in my experience, fatigue. A few years back when I was on a highly carbohydrate restrictive diet with high protein I felt as though my mind was in a constant haze or fog. I truly believe that my brain during that time was not functioning at its optimum potential.

That is a common complaint, and I was hazy for about 2 weeks when I first started a keto diet. Now, though, not at all.
    It is important to note that a keto diet cannot be a high protein diet unless you are building muscle. Ideally you would only eat enough protein maintain muscle, because any extra protein is converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis.

So it's not likely one would be in ketosis and eat a high protein diet.

Currently, protein accounts for 18% of my caloric needs. If I remember correctly, the standard recommendation is 30%. So I'm definitely not eating a high protein diet.

And please don't take any of this to mean that I think you or anyone else should change what they are doing and start eating a low carb, high fat diet. I just wanted to dispel some misconceptions.
  • Joe74403
    Options
    Oh man, yall are bad.

You can't see ketones in your pee, sorry.

Sorry to call you on this, but the most common cause of oily urine is ketones in urine. These appear in individuals with uncontrolled diabetes and also during periods of starvation or a stringent dietary regimen. Now why they appear in someone like the original poster who claims to be consuming enough carbohydrates is another thing all together.