In Ketosis, but I didn't intend to be...

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I can't be bothered reading the whole thread but i can see there are a few idiots on it.

I know why the OP has ketones in her wee. And she doesn't need to see a doctor. It is to be completely expected. Has she been eating more carbs, she would not have them but her diet must be fairly low carb.

And even if its not that low, after a while of eating lowish carbs and high fat, your body will produce them since it will turn to fat for its energy source. I also wonder if i've got ketones in my pee though i'm not even doing paleo so i probably do eat more carbs than the OP.

She probably thinks that ketogenic has to be as low as 30 or under 50 but its not the case.

You totally get that OP may be in ketosis, and may have ketones in her wee, but the whole point is, you can't SEE ketones in wee, right?
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Did anyone get booted yet? I can't tell, there's no kaboom or anything.

Sometimes it pays off to arrive very late to the party, this one's one of them. It's like the Christmas gift that keeps on giving when the thread has reached star status on page 4, yet there's four more pages to read. Thanks for all the contributions.

Somewhere the OP is pleased as punch that she's booted us all out of this thread with her mad internet skillz. She'll be disappointed when she hits that power button again.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I can't be bothered reading the whole thread but i can see there are a few idiots on it.

I know why the OP has ketones in her wee. And she doesn't need to see a doctor. It is to be completely expected. Has she been eating more carbs, she would not have them but her diet must be fairly low carb.

And even if its not that low, after a while of eating lowish carbs and high fat, your body will produce them since it will turn to fat for its energy source. I also wonder if i've got ketones in my pee though i'm not even doing paleo so i probably do eat more carbs than the OP.

She probably thinks that ketogenic has to be as low as 30 or under 50 but its not the case.

OP- - -calling people stupid may not be the best approach to having a question answered.

@Pattience saying people are idiots may not be the best response, but it is a response. OP since you have oil in your urine, and you do not want to go to a doctor why not test your ketone level at home? You'll know what it is, have a baseline, and be to tell if it climbs or drops. I believe many 'low carb' dieters have provided you with 'you cannot see ketones' so again just test it. And if you continue to produce an oily discharge going to a doctor isn't the worst suggestion and it certainly isn't idiotic. Best of luck.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm looking for educated advice or perhaps links to send me to some further reading on the subject. If you jump in with the dogmatic "eat more carbs" nonsense, I'll boot you from the thread. I have internet, I know how to use it, and I'm looking for more advanced input than what I can get from Yahoo Answers.

Okay, so last week I discovered that my body is in a state of ketosis. I know this because I have ketones in my urine; it's not a guess. I do not eat a keto-diet! While I stay Paleo, my macros are generally 50, 30, 20 for fat, carb, protein, respectively, give or take 10% on any of those. This isn't a ketogenic diet! So what the heck could be going on?

I'm NOT diabetic, nor do I have blood sugar/kidney problems that could cause ketogenesis.

So.... what do ya'll think?

What do I think? I think you should seek professional help
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Oh man, yall are bad.

Ketones are visible oil bodies in the urine. You don't need to test for something you can see. But go ahead and take that pregnancy test for funsies.
    If you are eating enough carbs to stay out of ketosis but have keystones in your urine you need to see a Dr. There may be serous medical issues going on, and prolonging the visit isn't gonna help you get the answers or help you need!

Edit to add you may have a UTI if you see something in your urine. Go see a Dr, maybe your OBGYN?!?

no, no uti. or anything. I thought I made it pretty clear that I'm HEALTHY and aware of my body. It's ketones, 100% sure of it. I just want to know if 50% fat macros are enough to bump me into ketogenesis, since most people go, like, 90%.

:huh: Who goes 90% fat??? That would be the Crisco diet I guess...
  • thisgirlhere
    thisgirlhere Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    By page 4, I was laughing so hard my 3 year old brought me a roll of toilet paper to dry my eyes.

God bless this thread.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm not stupid.

Lol
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Oh man, yall are bad.

Ketones are visible oil bodies in the urine. You don't need to test for something you can see. But go ahead and take that pregnancy test for funsies.

WTH? You are ignorant.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options

She is eating 30% carbs, not 30 grams. I don't think she is in ketosis.

Regardless of that fact, YOU CANNOT SEE KETONES IN URINE
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

I know why the OP has ketones in her wee And she doesn't need to see a doctor. It is to be completely expected. Has she been eating more carbs, she would not have them but her diet must be fairly low carb.

We would have to see OP's diary to know if she is eating low enough carbs (equal or less than 50g) to enter ketosis. It's extremely easy to mislog your food and eat over that amount. It's hard to just be in ketosis by mistake.

I'm down for round 2.
    She did say she was eating 1550 cals so that's around 75g of carbs. Unless she is extremely active she has plenty of cabs to stay out of ketosis.
  • dreamtoBthin
    Options
    I was so waiting for someone else to say this. I want to know what "special" power she has to be able to "see" ketones in her urine. And, if this is able to be done without a test could you please teach the Dr's I work for how to do this?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    This thread was a wonderful morning treat. Keep up the good work, all of you!
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    This thread was a wonderful morning treat. Keep up the good work, all of you!

+1
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

But you can't see ketones in your pee so how are "we" the idiots again?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    That is exactly the kind of "input" that I explicitly said I don't need. I have the internet, I'm not stupid. READ before replying, thanks.
    Lol. I made it 3 post before hitting gold.

I wonder how many people got the BOOT.

ETA: Maybe someone already mentioned it, maybe, but you should see a doctor.

Also, am I to late for the party? You know what I'm bringing.

tumblr_lxph7r9iJH1qj1kr3o1_250.gif
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Just had a thought.... I know when I'm extremely dehydrated and have an infection I can see an "oily film" when I pee.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    That is exactly the kind of "input" that I explicitly said I don't need. I have the internet, I'm not stupid. READ before replying, thanks.

Since you are so smart, do whatever you like, especially since you know better than anyone else.....and of course because you have the internet....:o).
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're eating a lot of extra fiber and your net carbs are putting you into ketosis. Ketosis happens at a different stage for everyone depending on their weight, height, etc. Being Paleo it's really not that crazy to think you are in ketosis...