What exactly is "Clean Eating"?

Options

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    My doctor defines it as avoiding anything with a label.
    thats a great explanation :-)

No cheese for you. No yogurt from the store.
    No dairy for the most part.
    Oh, no eggs.
    No rice or pasta.
    No organic anything.
    No nuts unless bought in bulk.

Yeah, kinda sucks.

I make my own cheese and butter from raw milk. No labels and don't even have to go to a store to buy it. Eggs are plentiful from local sources and don't require labels. Many people make their own pasta and why wouldn't you buy nuts in bulk ?
    Eating whole foods as a way of life is easy if you choose to do it. choosing to adopt a local farm to table food approach is more popular then you might guess. Drop the I can't attitude and think outside the box.

pffft.

So your raw milk cheese is somehow better than the cheese I buy from my cheese shop because his has a label. Laughably ridiculous.

Either you are being a troll or lack reading comprehension. I never suggested my homemade cheese or butter was better . I simply countered the point that you can't eat these things because they come in a package. People have been eating butter and cheese long before plastic packaging became the norm and it is fairly easy to make your own if you wanted to avoid buying packaged foods. I could care less where you get your food or how you choose to eat.

Okay, Mother Superior.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Oh, no eggs.
    No rice or pasta.
    No organic anything.

Yeah, kinda sucks.

I make my own cheese and butter from raw milk. No labels and don't even have to go to a store to buy it. Eggs are plentiful from local sources and don't require labels. Many people make their own pasta and why wouldn't you buy nuts in bulk ?
    Eating whole foods as a way of life is easy if you choose to do it. choosing to adopt a local farm to table food approach is more popular then you might guess. Drop the I can't attitude and think outside the box.

pffft.

So your raw milk cheese is somehow better than the cheese I buy from my cheese shop because his has a label. Laughably ridiculous.

Either you are being a troll or lack reading comprehension. I never suggested my homemade cheese or butter was better . I simply countered the point that you can't eat these things because they come in a package. People have been eating butter and cheese long before plastic packaging became the norm and it is fairly easy to make your own if you wanted to avoid buying packaged foods. I could care less where you get your food or how you choose to eat.

Okay, Mother Superior.

Wouldn't father fatty be more appropriate ? :rolleyes:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Oh, no eggs.
    No rice or pasta.
    No organic anything.

Yeah, kinda sucks.

pffft.

Ah, yeah "reading comprehension" gambit - you've missed the entire thread yourself and the point that some are trying to make that "eating clean" is necessary or healthier than a mixed approach.

The vast majority of people do not have the inclination, need or opportunity to make their own butter/cheese. Going by that logic I could grow my own vegetables, raise pigs, goats, chickens and what nots. It's great if this is your choice - I keep that to a minimum (living in or near cities) as my lifestyle choice and I still hold the opinion that within that it would be ridiculous to give up labels. The vast majority of the US does not use raw milk - (from an old milk thread I think the number was <2%). So the "make your own butter/cheese" movement is rather small - despite what your own experience/lifestyle bias might suggest (and is obviously less than 50-60 years ago).

How you get your own food or what you choose to to eat? Couldn't care either. That's not the point of the thread.

Btw, cheese doesn't need to be wrapped in plastic to have a label. And if you wanted to follow those clean concepts of label-less shopping - fine - then that does mean, even if you make your own cheese, you are giving up on tome, bleu d'auvergne, brebis, bries, camemberts, chevretons, etc, etc. Almost all of them sold under a label - not home made. No way for me.

Totally unnecessary to cut that out to stay healthy or lose weight.
  • xael1234
    xael1234 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I consider clean eating no preservatives. Cereal would not be clean eating while fresh fruit would be so I guess anything with minimal to no preservatives. It seems overwhelming at first but it actually is much easier than I thought and the food from home cooked meals lasts longer. That's just my opinion though , for what it's worth
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I consider clean eating no preservatives. Cereal would not be clean eating while fresh fruit would be so I guess anything with minimal to no preservatives. It seems overwhelming at first but it actually is much easier than I thought and the food from home cooked meals lasts longer. That's just my opinion though , for what it's worth

No beer or wine or vinegar for you.
    No salt, no jams or fruit preserves.

No chocolate. Ever.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Oh, no eggs.
    No rice or pasta.
    No organic anything.

Yeah, kinda sucks.

pffft.

Ah, yeah "reading comprehension" gambit - you've missed the entire thread yourself and the point that some are trying to make that "eating clean" is necessary or healthier than a mixed approach.

The vast majority of people do not have the inclination, need or opportunity to make their own butter/cheese. Going by that logic I could grow my own vegetables, raise pigs, goats, chickens and what nots. It's great if this is your choice - I keep that to a minimum (living in or near cities) as my lifestyle choice and I still hold the opinion that within that it would be ridiculous to give up labels. The vast majority of the US does not use raw milk - (from an old milk thread I think the number was <2%). So the "make your own butter/cheese" movement is rather small - despite what your own experience/lifestyle bias might suggest (and is obviously less than 50-60 years ago).

How you get your own food or what you choose to to eat? Couldn't care either. That's not the point of the thread.

Btw, cheese doesn't need to be wrapped in plastic to have a label. And if you wanted to follow those clean concepts of label-less shopping - fine - then that does mean, even if you make your own cheese, you are giving up on tome, bleu d'auvergne, brebis, bries, camemberts, chevretons, etc, etc. Almost all of them sold under a label - not home made. No way for me.

Nope didn't miss the point of the thread at all as evidence by my reply on the second page. Just responding to a comment that you couldn't eat cheese or butter because they had labels, I provided a counter point that you can.

Fwiw, I don't label myself a "clean" eater even if I don't buy packaged foods. I don't really see the point. I eat what I like and don't judge others for what they eat.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Oh, no eggs.
    No rice or pasta.
    No organic anything.

Yeah, kinda sucks.

pffft.

Nope didn't miss the point of the thread at all as evidence by my reply on the second page. Just responding to a comment that you couldn't eat cheese or butter because they had labels, I provided a counter point that you can.

Fwiw, I don't label myself a "clean" eater even if I don't buy packaged foods. I don't really see the point. I eat what I like and don't judge others for what they eat.

We probably agree more than disagree - sure, one can produce their own cheese - but one really can't reasonably produce the variety one has the opportunity enjoy without significant energy and mental outlay.

I guess I should have written cheese in the plural. :wink:
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    My donuts from the store around the corner don't have a label. Clean?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Maybe, do they have a TV commercial, more than one ingredient and are they on the perimeter of the store?
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

Maybe, do they have a TV commercial, more than one ingredient and are they on the perimeter of the store?

Nope, probably, the whole store is a donut shop so...yes.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How many ingredients does a banana have?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

19cthsq3h02qrpng.jpg

It's a fructose bomb, kinda like a Snickers
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Edit: drat, someone beat me to it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Well look at that....it contains all nine essential amino acids...it's a complete protein!

:drinker:
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Edit: drat, someone beat me to it.

Yeah, and he hit that setup pitch right out of the park. :)

"Don't worry, we'll make more."

• EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Well look at that....it contains all nine essential amino acids...it's a complete protein!

Just like a Snickers bar!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Just like a Snickers bar!

I sense Snickers are become trendy around here.

(Also, if you want a Snickers, don't eat the Marathon bars. You'll wish you'd eaten a regular Snickers instead.)
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Following this sub-meme further...a typical gorilla is over 250 pounds, of which 150-200 is lean body mass. I read somewhere a silverback can benchpress somewhere around 1000 pounds(!) so these are seriously muscular beasts.

Their diet is about 65% fruit - ie, very high carb. Amazing how they can build all that bone and muscle on "bananas"!

Don't humans have a strong genetic link to gorillas?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Indeed my comment was spice specific simply because it was a response to a filler in spice comment. Nothing more intended.

Nope not a locolvore but I dig the term. ( never heard it before ). I am just a fat guy who cooks as a hobby and likes to buy as much stuff as I can from small local farmers which are abundant around here.

Okay. I probably lost track of the thread in question at some point.

I like a lot of that stuff as a hobby too. For me one of the benefits is that it makes eating healthy fun.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's what you do if you follow the 10-second rule.