What kind of butter/margarine/oil do you use?

Options
13»

Replies

• myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Depends what I'm making.

On toast/potatoes - real butter (lightly salted).

In Mediterannean dishes or for roasting vegetables - olive oil.

Stirfries - vegetable or sunflower oil, sometimes dressed with sesame oil.

Baking - sometimes buy margarine (eg: stork for cakes) as it's cheaper if I'm making a lot. But haven't baked much since starting MFP anyway.
  • StevieB13
    StevieB13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Butter & Virgin Olive Oil.

Margarine is evil stuff - won't rot or go mouldy because it is pretty much plastic. Do your research & it will put you off for life !!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Real butter (both salted and unsalted) and Melt Spread (I have the regular one and honey one). Coconut Oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, vegetable oil, peanut oil ... also depends on what I'm using it for.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Actual butter, olive oil (extra virgin & regular), and coconut oil. I try to avoid anything hydrogenated, even if its the only thing that passes for butter in my parents house, and I also try to avoid most seed and vegetable oils which seem to have too much omega-6 or else turn nasty when heated beyond a certain level. I tend to pan fry a lot, so butter and olive oil get used for that, while coconut oil tends to get added to things.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Land o Lakes, or Kerrigold.
  • synostosis
    synostosis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    organic grassfed butter and virgin organic coconut oil
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

Margarine is evil stuff - won't rot or go mouldy because it is pretty much plastic. Do your research & it will put you off for life !!

I've done my research and found that this "margarine is one molecule away from plastic" is a myth. Adding one molecule to margarine doesn't make it into plastic. Both plastic and margarine are indeed both long-chain molecules but that is where the similarities end.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

I've done my research and found that this "margarine is one molecule away from plastic" is a myth. Adding one molecule to margarine doesn't make it into plastic. Both plastic and margarine are indeed both long-chain molecules but that is where the similarities end.

^^ YUP. Not only that, but 'margarine' isn't made the way it use to be back say, in the 80's. It use to be made differently and I am so tired, I can't remember what they did to it but it had something to do with the way they processed the oil to make it stable. Anyways, they no longer do that (or most don't) and now most 'margarine' is truly a butter blend, I believe. The oil allows it to be spread easier when cold and that's about it. There may be some that are still made by the one process, but since I really like real butter and only use the blend for toast, I haven't really looked. And the one I use, as I mentioned before, is a high butter to oil ratio.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    The full fat and full calorie store brand.
    I personally never mess with butter!
  • ThatBearsFan
    ThatBearsFan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Butter - Kerry Gold grass fed salted Irish cream butter
    Coconut Oil - Organic extra virgin pressed from GNC
    Olive Oil - Extra virgin