Boosting Metabolism

hottottie11
hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello!

First time poster! but I've been on here for a few months. I was wondering if anyone had tips for boosting metabolism. I've been on a reduced calorie meal plan for a while now and I'm afraid that my metabolism have slown down, thus slowing down my wieght loss. I have 20 more lbs to my goal and I want to reach it by March, but I'm not loosing more than 1 lb per week....(my calorie allowance is 1250 per day net).

If anyone has diet tips also...add me so you can see my food diary.

Thanks!

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Once you start getting down to those last pounds you can't really lose more than 1 pound per week.

And the poster above is right, you need exercise.
  • Exercise, multi vitamen if your not currently taking one. I also use DHEA which is a supplement but is not for everyone. Definetly research any supplement before putting them into your body.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    1 pound a week is a very good weight loss. If you're still looking to speed up your metabolism though, I would eat more protein and less carbs, and try strength training if you're not already doing it. Adding muscle is the best way to speed up your metabolism. I couldn't see your diary so I couldn't tell if you were already doing these things, but that is what I would try.
  • hottottie11
    I exercise. 4 to 5 times a week with a mix of running, elliptical and strength training. I"m starting a new plan next week, with kick boxing running and yoga. You think the change up will help?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Kick boxing is a great exercise to work into your routine. Programs like Tae Bo, Turbo Jam, or Turbo Fire have been very helpful for many people. Keep in mind to not restrict your calories too much. If you're exercising up to five days a week, then you actually should be eating more than 1200 calories.
  • hottottie11
    1200 is net calories...I always eat back my calories because my allowance is so low. I guess the closer you are to your goal the harder it is to lose.
  • edorice
    It is harder to lose when you get closer to goal, your net may need to be higher.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Yes i think your net should still be higher... check this site out to get your BMR the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day....

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

You should at the very least be taking this in!!! ;-)
  • hottottie11
    Thanks for the advice!

My BMR is about 1500, but I feel if I net this these calories I won't be even losing a lb per week! Its hard to see my friends losing 2+ per week while I'm only losing 1...womp womp lol
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    If it says 1500 then you really should be eating that.... You will be surprised to see that when eating a little more you will lose weight!!! 1lb a week is a very healthy weight loss and you will be more likely to keep it off at that rate!!! You will still have a big deficient in calories because you dont stay in bed all day!!! ;-) Dont up it to 1500 all at once for now just add about 100 calories every 2 weeks till you reach around 1400-1500 calories!! Trust me you will lose the weight and you will be building muscle at the same time (and lets not forget muscle burns fat)!!!:flowerforyou:
  • edorice
    Thanks for the advice!

My BMR is about 1500, but I feel if I net this these calories I won't be even losing a lb per week! Its hard to see my friends losing 2+ per week while I'm only losing 1...womp womp lol

Your friends are probably not killing it in their workouts like you. You gotta just do you and feed.
  • hottottie11
    You're right. We had a weight loss competition and I think I'm becoming more obsessive over what I lose a week. I'm more than half way to my goal so I must have been doing something right. I will alter eating habits and exercises to change it up and see what happens.
  • rore1
    rore1 Posts: 110 Member
    everyone had great info!thank you and good luck!
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Yes i think your net should still be higher... check this site out to get your BMR the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day....

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

You should at the very least be taking this in!!! ;-)

Damn mines is 1900 cals and Ive only been eating 1400....hmmmm
  • juliana1977
    juliana1977 Posts: 153 Member
    Very interesting post. That website says that my BMR is 1645, so I should be eating at least 1645 calories a day?
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    The change in exercise routine will definitely help. It's amazing how your body will adapt and results will taper off. I try to change my weight and cardio routines every 6-12 wks depending on how my body is responding. Sometimes even changes in workout days will catch your body off guard and cause it to respond.

Start keeping really good track of your food intact, rest etc. It may not be so much an issue of calories versus where your calories are coming from. Those last few pounds are always a devil to lose.

Good luck!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    I'd like to also add in a little tidbit ... I find high protein breakfast (basically eggs, chicken, veggies, V-8, etc.), can help pump up the metabolism, or at least my energy (I always lose a smidge more when I do it that way, and I guess it's a chicken/egg question).

Good luck!!
  • My advice: Stay the course and be patient.

We all want to get rid of our unwanted pounds right away, but to truly lose it and KEEP it off, you have to do it the right way and this takes time. Eat right. Exercise. Get your rest. Repeat.

You're doing all the right things, so just remember: Anything worthwhile in life doesn't come easy, so keep on keepin' on!
  • HEATHERB500
    HEATHERB500 Posts: 78 Member
    :happy: My sister was having the same issue. She took her trainers advice and started eating 500 -600 more calories than she was eating previously, and she did not change her workout routine for three weeks after that. The first week she saw no difference the second week she showed a 3 lb weight loss then 4 lbs the 3rd week. Then she changed her workout routine again and she is finally at her goal weight. She had been in standstill mode for 3 weeks and I mean she was killing herself in her workouts. She still works out hard but she eats it back and has maintained her goal weight for 2 months now. Inspired me hope it helps.
This discussion has been closed.