No more tennis

Options
I am so upset, I have been playing tennis for the last 15 years or so, but the last 6 summers I have taken lessons. I loved the coach, he taught me so much more than what I had learned in high school, and I got to be really good friends with some of the people. I was all excited about it again this summer and went to sign up and I see that it has been discontinued (the lessons were offered through the city). I am so sad, I couldn't wait for it, paying for lessons twice a week was a great motivator to get out there and play and I am so going to miss my friends. Unfortunately I do not have a way to get in touch with them since they were sort of my "summer friends" that I only saw during lessons.

I am trying to find lessons elswhere, but most everyplace is too far, and/or requires a membership to the club on top of the costly lessons, which I just cannot afford to do. Just needed to rant about my beloved tennis lessons :cry:

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I am so upset, I have been playing tennis for the last 15 years or so, but the last 6 summers I have taken lessons. I loved the coach, he taught me so much more than what I had learned in high school, and I got to be really good friends with some of the people. I was all excited about it again this summer and went to sign up and I see that it has been discontinued (the lessons were offered through the city). I am so sad, I couldn't wait for it, paying for lessons twice a week was a great motivator to get out there and play and I am so going to miss my friends. Unfortunately I do not have a way to get in touch with them since they were sort of my "summer friends" that I only saw during lessons.

I am trying to find lessons elswhere, but most everyplace is too far, and/or requires a membership to the club on top of the costly lessons, which I just cannot afford to do. Just needed to rant about my beloved tennis lessons :cry:
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Maybe YOU could start a tennis group near you? Try www.meetup.com, or something like that. :flowerforyou:
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I LOVE tennis too..and that SOO sucks that you won't be able to play as much. Maybe you can get your boyfriend out there with you. Me and my old boyfriend used to play...it was a lot of fun!
  • sitarami
    sitarami Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    this week marks my 4th week since i started playing tennis here in the Virgin Islands. I am addicted and the tennis players are a great deal of fun to be around. Besides the shin splints and the knee issues, i do feel your pain.
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    Yeah I plan on getting him out there and teaching him, but right now his skill level is such that the only exercise I would get is chasing the balls that he rockets out of the court:laugh:

But men tend to learn faster than women, so maybe by the end of the summer he'll be up to my 15 year skill level, haha. Strength wise sometimes they can be and that's so unfair. I can be a better player and use placement more, but if men can hit it hard enough and it goes in, they'll 9 times out of 10 win the point even if they don't know what they are doing. :grumble:
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    Thanks, I will look into that :smile:
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I started hitting with our High School tennis team this year. (I'm not a coach, just another teacher at the school). There is almost certainly a group around that would love to have you working with their kids.