Motivated...but not.

Options
2»

Replies

• kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Motivation is short lived. It's like a pep talk that will get you through the next week.

What you need to develop is self discipline. Self discipline stays with you day in and day out. If you can learn to practice self discipline the mental obstacles will diminish and become far less of a roadblock to reaching your goals.

Agreed!!!

My motivation comes and then goes. Motivation and determination/persistence are very different. I am totally unmotivated at times, but I'm determined to keep going, whether I feel like it or not.
  • shebunkin
    Options
    [/quote]

Random people on a forum can't fix your melon. You already know the problem, and the solution.

Good luck!

:drinker:
    [/quote]

Actually, that's not true, or we wouldn't all be here. This reply was neither helpful or necessary.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Random people on a forum can't fix your melon. You already know the problem, and the solution.

Good luck!

:drinker:

Actually, that's not true, or we wouldn't all be here. This reply was neither helpful or necessary.

The fact that "we" are all here is, in fact, a demonstration that it IS true.

Cheers.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If you take the advice if people who say weigh and record everything, then the reason its needed is becayse it educates you into what you are putting into your body, how much of each food you get for your calories as a true reflection of how many your body needs for the work it is doing. The idea that you are getting annoyed with restricting calories just soynds like an excuse against what we all have to face up to, which is we probably all need to eat less becayse we have been burning a lot less than we eat. If you eat more then you get the side effect of putting on weight. Its as simple as that.

So what does MFP say? Creat a deficit so you burn more than you eat and that gets rid of some of the weight.

Do you need to restrict food types? Not really becayse you just eat smaller portions. Go to restaurants, but choose wisely or have smaller portions. Recording what you eat is the only way of getting a good idea what you consume. Its important you have that knowledge.

I said i wouldnt calorie count but then when I saw the benefits i.e understanding your diet, getting into a good habit, getting info on portion size, feeling more in control , then it took me 3 days to realise I was a chump if I did not. I just use it as a guide and top it up with exercise. I dont restrict what I eat, although I try and make healthier choices. Its about lifestyle change. If you want to fit into your clothes again, then it would make sense to know what it is you are attempting and how it will all work.

Btw swimming and walking are excellent forms of exercise. talk to your gp about weight loss and maybe seeing a nutritionist or a physio , the latter to suggest routines you cna do taking your back into account.

Oh and I hope there isnt anything too tough in there because , it wasnt meant to be,

Get some ood mfp friends who have direction if you need motivating, but it will still come down to you doing it for you or your loved ones.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I think you do need to be properly ready to commit to doing it, but also if you force yourself to get into a healthy eating and exercise routine for a month or so, it will start to become habit.

I'm a teacher too (also French :smile: ) so I know about the demands of marking, planning, parents' evenings etc, but I find time for exercise. I'm on maternity leave now but before I stopped work, I was going to the gym whilst pregnant, doing all the teacher stuff, and looking after a 2 and 4 year old. I go to the gym 5/6 times a week now and have 3 kids. There's always a way!

Pack your gym/swimming stuff in your car and go straight from work. The good thing about teaching is the earlier finish, and you can go do some exercise, and sit at home later and do your planning and marking.

If you're eating out, get a small portion, or share one, and go for healthier options.

As someone else said, logging is important. I have to admit I was never good at weighing stuff, except for things like porridge oats, and I did lose 66lbs after my 2nd baby, but now I'm back after my 3rd, I'm weighing everything and it's good to know I'm being totally accurate.

Set yourself small goals then have a little reward like a haircut, new make-up etc when you meet your goal.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Well it seems you have identified the main problem...making excuses.

Now that you admit that to yourself, it's time to stop them and get on with achieving your goals!
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    If you take the advice if people who say weigh and record everything, then the reason its needed is because it educates you into what you are putting into your body, how much of each food you get for your calories as a true reflection of how many your body needs for the work it is doing.
    Exactly. Cause and effect.

Cause: You are tracking your intake and know what you're eating.
    Effect: You naturally, almost effortlessly, start to make more educated choices.
  • WendyMarieVan
    Options
    Baby steps are key! You need to pick one thing that you feel like you can change (and make it a small thing). Change that one thing the first week (or two...whatever you need), then when that small change has become habit, work on something else. I am finding that, with 2 kids, I have to either work out in the mornings, or I might not get in a work out at all, so I made a goal to get up once a week. When I accomplished that a couple weeks in a row, I moved it up to 2 mornings a week. You get the drift.
    Motivation will wax and wane. You're human. Self-discipline will wax and wane. The point is, TRY. That's all you can do at this point. As long as you have it in your head to make a change in yourself, you've taken that first step. That's the hardest one! Keep going, girl! You can do it!!
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Well, there were several points in your 8 paragraph reply that were not helpful....at all.

Mr.Knight's response was the truth.
  • RachelInSpace
    RachelInSpace Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I know a lot of people say that you have to wait until you are TRULY ready. But I don't know that everybody has an epiphany moment like that. I think some people have to simply decide that they want to be healthy more than they want to eat junk all the time.

This really hits home, for me. I spent years telling myself I'd get around to it, it'll happen someday, I'll have that moment that just pushes me over the edge into a blissfully happy and healthy lifestyle.

Fast forward to now. I'm 32 years old and I'm so ashamed and embarrassed by the shape I'm in. I didn't have an epiphany; nothing happened to jolt me into my awareness. But, I did realize that if I keep waiting for "that moment", I'm gonna waste the life I'm living NOW.

I'm still new to this. Well, that's not true. I've been through this many times and gave up. This time, I feel like it might be different. I don't want to go do the doctor and learn I'm diabetic and THEN decide I need to change my life. I want to avoid that day. So I'm working on it, one day at a time.

It's a tough road and I know it won't be fast or easy but the alternative is unacceptable. If I do nothing, in five years I'll be 37, severely overweight and probably sick. If I keep working, I'll feel better about myself, mentally and physically, I'll be able to run 5k's or more with my nieces and nephews, I'll have something to be proud of.

I realized that nothing and no one can change my mind but me.

Good luck to you! I believe in you and I also believe that, if you keep working on it, soon you'll believe in yourself, too!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I get overwhelmed when I don't break stuff down properly. By that I mean identify exactly every factor of your personal equation to a lifestyle change, define them and notice what the sequential steps of each are. Then start plugging away on one at a time, possibly in parallel. In most cases it is very simple; to lose 10 kg/lbs you need to start with the first one. How do you lose the first one? What do you need to learn? Change? Keep doing as you are doing? Read up to fix what you don't know yet, change what you need to do differently (plug all the holes of your leaking boat). By sequential I of course mean that if you need to start at step 1, you really need to get it done before you can move on to step 2. So in reality there is only a single step you can take. Take that step. Then move on. Don't make it more complicated that it needs to be. Dedication, commitment, focus, clarity, honesty, and reasonable expectations will help you along the way.
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Wow! I just got to reading this thread after a nice night out (we saw the Lion King). I'm very moved by the outpouring of good advice and support. I suppose I agree with the person who said that people on a forum are not what is going to change me...but it's nice to see that there are folks out there who have been there.

I also appreciate those who suggested that approaching my relationship with food with self-love rather than punishment is a good way to avoid backsliding.

I will be reading your suggestions more carefully throughout the day and replying accordingly.

As much as I dislike Mondays as the start of a new work week, they always feel like a fresh shot. I suppose every day should feel that way. In fact, every meal and opportunity to exercise should feel that way because this is not an all or nothing deal.

I have so much going on over the next two weeks with big travel plans two weekends in a row. But if I take it one meal at a time, I know that I don't have to let stress or travel deter me.

You all have been quite supportive. Thank you.
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I also appreciate the comments by a few of you about how calorie counting doesn't have to be tedious or obsessive with meticulous planning.

It's not the counting itself that bothers me. I actually kind of like it - it becomes almost a mini-hobby (that's weird, I know). The bigger thing I dislike is that when I'm truly in the throes of weight loss, it's all I can seem to talk about, and I annoy everybody who crosses my path.

I guess it seems like it's important to find that balance of making a healthy lifestyle important, but maintaining your focus on the things that matter most, like enjoying your favorite TV programs or going for a nice walk with a loved one, or what you will be teaching your freshmen tomorrow.

I don't resent the restriction or the counting per se. I resent the way it takes over my mind. But I have control of my mind, and I guess I believe that I can say to myself: "Hey, Danielle! Stop obsessing! Just pick something to eat you can live with and move on!" Maybe I'll make myself a little card that says just that and put it in my wallet :tongue:

Anyway, I know I will reread this thread more than once because several of you made excellent points!