You can eat whatever you want :)

Options
I never narrow down my meal selection by seeking "healthy", "low-carb/calorie", "raw", etc. I decide what I want to eat and find a way to eat it, period. For example: pizza, Thai, Mexican, salad, chocolatey peanut buttery whatever. You can find or make them all in a way that works for your diet. And if you're on a diet, any version of what you crave will work, haha.

Like pizza, I'll make one with FF cheese, sugar-free sauce, low-carb tortilla, a protein. Once it's all together, you don't notice a difference between thin pizza crust and a 50-calorie wrap. Chinese: no breading or rice, eat the whole thing. Chocolatey or PB things: Cocoa powder, stevia (I am comfortable with this despite whatever), PB II. Or delicious PB itself in moderation.

If you have a leptin issue, use it to your advantage. If you can't get full, why does it matter if you have 1 plate or 10? Feels the same! Easy to opt for the lesser volume and not blow your stomach out.

If you want ideas, please reach out! I feel like I eat whatever I want and consume 1300-1800/day.

Also:

-if you like spicy, just drown bland foods with seeds or hot sauce and you'll never know the difference
-WATCH the sugar: 36g/day is like 4 tsp..watch those "low-fat" labels :)

Don't stress salt too much if you are free of illness; counter it with a banana and it's like it never happened ;):flowerforyou:

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Is that true about the salt? I don't use a salt shaker often, but some foods have more salt than I expect.
  • thin2win777
    thin2win777 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and surely your personal doctors know best, but it doesn't affect me. If I have a hot date I'll eat a banana or spinach to get rid of it. Rumor is potassium counters sodium per mg.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Is that true about the salt? I don't use a salt shaker often, but some foods have more salt than I expect.
    No, it's not true about the salt.

Around here, it is very popular to say that you shouldn't give a thought to the sodium until it causes you to have cardiovascular problems. Once you actually have the problems, then worry about it.

But it is healthier to watch your sodium ad not develop cardiovascular problems.

As far as the rest, cookies and pizza and such can be eaten and still allow weight loss. It isn't the healthiest diet, but if you stay under your calories goal, you can eat absolutely any food and still lose weight.
  • thin2win777
    Options
    Yes, hence the "too" much. I see people starving themselves of salt or counting it as meticulously as they do calories, and it's not quite as permanent. You also need some salt. Don't forget the water and potassium and you'll be better with consumption.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    to me, that is not eating what i want. chinese food, i want the rice. if i want chocolate, i don't want unsweet cocoa. i think eating what you want means eating literally what you want but keeping it in your calorie goal.
  • thin2win777
    Options
    It's [subjectively] a better sacrifice than cutting it completely. People are miserable on diets because they naturally want what they "can't" have. I wanted to share the information with others after 20 years of developing a plan that always makes me happy, and I'm a hungry-*kitten* person.
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    to me, that is not eating what i want. chinese food, i want the rice. if i want chocolate, i don't want unsweet cocoa. i think eating what you want means eating literally what you want but keeping it in your calorie goal.

^this.
  • thin2win777
    Options

Surely that can work for non-volume seekers. I prefer larger...why eat 1 tbs. of mayo when you can slam a whole bag of broccoli? :)
  • thin2win777
    Options
    I'd prefer support over debate so that some people can benefit! I've been through it all and I think the 1st sentence of this post has the potential to be strong to some crowd; if I can help even 1 person, I'm happy.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options

Surely that can work for non-volume seekers. I prefer larger...why eat 1 tbs. of mayo when you can slam a whole bag of broccoli? :)

i guess what i think is this: if i want a grilledcheese sandwich, i would rather have 1 smaller sandwich, with REAL butter and REAL cheese REAL mayo, than eat 10 sandwiches with fake ingredients with equal calories. everyone is different :smile:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer support over debate so that some people can benefit! I've been through it all and I think the 1st sentence of this post has the potential to be strong to some crowd; if I can help even 1 person, I'm happy.

Then you're probably not going to like it here. It's a public discussion so people are going to add their two cents whether you like it or not and since we're a diverse group of people, so some are going to disagree with you.
  • thin2win777
    Options
    It's a preference to motivate those struggling with dieting. My statements are positive and others-focused and I wish for a healthy country.
  • thin2win777
    Options
    i guess what i think is this: if i want a grilledcheese sandwich, i would rather have 1 smaller sandwich, with REAL butter and REAL cheese REAL mayo, than eat 10 sandwiches with fake ingredients with equal calories. everyone is different :smile:

Very true for many! :) this post is for those that feel restricted and seek daily satisfaction in a similar way to me; I assume some are out there.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    It's a preference to motivate those struggling with dieting. My statements are positive and others-focused and I wish for a healthy country.

i re-read your OP and i see what you meant. if you want pizza, you are going to find a way to make it healthy for you. i see your point. there are alot of people who want "the real thing" and would rather not have anything at all than eat a substitute for their fav food. but i do see where you are coming from and i think you are going to help some people. :smile:

that being said, what i am trying to do is to find a healthy way of life. i have been paleo for a while, just starting keto, but with paleo, the focus is a lifestyle change, not a "diet" so-to-speak. my goal isn't to recreate foods that i cannot have anymore, it's to completely change the way i live my life. so instead of finding a "paleo recipe" for pancakes, i just won't eat them anymore and eat something else instead. i am experimenting with a keto pizza tonight, but it really only has no crust, everything else is actual pizza toppings, etc. when researching gluten-free for my daughter (she cannot have gluten) i found someone who said, "eat gluten-free but don't eat gluten-free" meaning: eat a banana because it's gluten-free, but don't eat gluten-free cookies because you are not really changing your lifestyle. it's kind of hard to explain but basically, i am going for long-term, and i know long-term, i will never be happy with non-melty cheese and chinese food with no fried rice.

:wink:
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    or you could eat a slice of real pizza and then cut out one meal or cut your other meals by say 100 calories each to make up for extra calories. i eat potato chips, although they are lower in fat/sodium than some, i actually eat them because they're my favorites. i also eat cereal, chipotle (although one bowl is now 3 servings instead of 1), and my favorite meal at the sizzler, although i eat a lot less of it, then skip my next meal and it works out perfectly. yes, i eat smaller servings of my potato chips, tortilla chips, cereal, etc, and weigh every bite, but i still get to eat my favorite foods every freakin' day. that makes it all so much easier.

i do some food substitutions - i like trader joe's and sargento low fat cheddar a lot, so am happy to eat them instead of full fat cheese. i use this lower fat butter from trader joe's which is very tasty. daisy lower fat sour cream, which my husband says is the yummiest sour cream he's ever tasted. and on the very rare occasions that i have ice cream, i have dryer's no sugar added slow churned moose tracks ice cream, which is lower in calories and fat, but is sooo good i can't keep it in the house.

or you can sometimes walk/exercise the extra calories off. my favorite pasta meal is at disneyland in the california adventure - nowadays i eat half instead of a whole serving, which is still quite large. because there's so much walking at disneyland, my scale and glucose monitor tells me this works just fine.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Your opening sentence, and your recipe for pizza seem contradictory to me personally.
    If I want pizza, I have a real slice of pizza and make it fit into my day.
    I understand that you said your just trying to help dieters, but sometimes it's just as simple as eat less and enjoy the foods you love in moderation. With that said, what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for everyone. So maybe your way will help others out here.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Yes, hence the "too" much. I see people starving themselves of salt or counting it as meticulously as they do calories, and it's not quite as permanent. You also need some salt. Don't forget the water and potassium and you'll be better with consumption.
    I don't use table salt at all. I get plenty of unintended sodium so there is no deficiency. I don't even like salt all that much. It desensitizes my taste buds to more subtle foods.
  • thin2win777
    Options
    or you could eat a slice of real pizza and then cut out one meal or cut your other meals by say 100 calories each to make up for extra calories. i eat potato chips, although they are lower in fat/sodium than some, i actually eat them because they're my favorites. i also eat cereal, chipotle (although one bowl is now 3 servings instead of 1), and my favorite meal at the sizzler, although i eat a lot less of it, then skip my next meal and it works out perfectly. yes, i eat smaller servings of my potato chips, tortilla chips, cereal, etc, and weigh every bite, but i still get to eat my favorite foods every freakin' day. that makes it all so much easier.

i do some food substitutions - i like trader joe's and sargento low fat cheddar a lot, so am happy to eat them instead of full fat cheese. i use this lower fat butter from trader joe's which is very tasty. daisy lower fat sour cream, which my husband says is the yummiest sour cream he's ever tasted. and on the very rare occasions that i have ice cream, i have dryer's no sugar added slow churned moose tracks ice cream, which is lower in calories and fat, but is sooo good i can't keep it in the house.

or you can sometimes walk/exercise the extra calories off. my favorite pasta meal is at disneyland in the california adventure - nowadays i eat half instead of a whole serving, which is still quite large. because there's so much walking at disneyland, my scale and glucose monitor tells me this works just fine.

Sweeeeet!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It's called if it fits your macros.
    And mine includes normal chocolate and not ersatz anything. Stevia tastes like sadness and dirty socks.