Confused and frustrated at the gym, where to start?

Options
First, a little about me. After losing 80lbs in the last 5 months, I'm currently 262lbs at 5'4", so I'm still a pretty big girl. Most of the weight loss has been from diet alone. I have only started incorporating exercise the last month or so with a treadmill at home and hiking on the weekends. I feel like I'm a pretty fit obese person if there is such a thing. I can't jog on the treadmill (yet!) but I can do a very fast walk (speed of 3 to 3.5) and maintain an incline of 4-6 for 30-40 minutes. I vary it upwards as much as I can and even did 3 minutes at full incline of 10 just this morning. Only 3 minutes... but its a good start right? I can't hike uphill in the sun for 8 miles, but I can do a 2-3 mile hike in rugged terrain. I'm sore and sweaty and usually have some bruises.. but its fun and I think that's not too bad for someone who weighed nearly 350lbs 6 months ago. Anyway, I'm pushing the 6 month mark and I'm ready to step it up a notch and concentrate more on exercise, so I joined a gym.

I get to the gym and immediately signed up for the consult with their trainer to get on a program, thinking I'm being smart and determined to do this the right way. Get a customized workout plan for me, learn how to use the machines properly, etc. My family went with me, they are older, but all thin and fairly fit. He put us all on the same program, which threw up red flags for me right from the start. Something just seemed wrong with a 160lb active person doing the same exercises as a 260lb semi-inactive person. Anyway, I decided to check out the machines, see what I thought would work best for me then do my own research and make my own plan. I

I found some machines I liked, that I felt gave me a good workout with the requisite soreness without killing me and making me hurt for days. (Though I found those too) So I got online and started looking up opinions on which ones were best/safest for me. Turns out every single machine I looked up had warnings that they shouldn't be used. Not just the ones I liked, but every machine I could think of! So now I'm sitting here getting frustrated, wondering who to listen to.

Do I go with the original plan from the trainer? (maybe body style/weight don't really matter that much when it comes to these types of exercises with weight machines?) Do I listen to the research I'm reading online from many contradicting sources and just go home and go back to bed because every single one of these things is going to either kill me or damage me irreparably? Do I work only one body section at a time (arms one day, then back, then back, then abs, etc) or do I do a little of everything each time until I get in better shape? Do I use lower weights and more reps and use the machines to basically extend my cardio and add resistance? Or do I use heavy weights to start building muscle? Do I concentrate on low impact lightweight activity since I'm obese so I don't hurt myself or am I OK to do more intense exercise because I think I can handle it?

I just have so many questions and it seems everywhere I turn, everyone has not just different answers but completely opposite answers! Has anyone else been through this and found a satisfying solution? Yes, I want to lose weight and burn fat, first and foremost, but I also want some shape once it all comes off. I'm 40 years old and don't want to waste a single day doing just the minimum when I could be doing so much more!

I'm tired of bodybuilders saying "lose the weight first, then hit the gym. The gym is more for people to do body-sculpting, not weight loss". I'm also tired of beefy trainers telling me to use these complicated machines in this specific way to build obliques and this machine to help strengthen the deltoid.. etc, etc etc. (really? Tell me sir, are you positive I have a deltoid? Can you even find my damn obliques with a magnifying glass?)

I'm tired of doctors saying "just do crunches and squats! Those machines will damage your neck and spine" (like crunches and squats don't already damage my knees, my neck, my back, etc) or worse yet "you're too obese for those types of exercises, start easy with water aerobics or swimming" (I'm not an invalid who can barely stand and needs water to support myself or an 80 year old woman who can barely move, so who needs easy? I want to kick some *kitten*! I might not kick very high or very hard, but dammit, I want to try! )

I'm fairly positive I'm overthinking this. I just want to find a good routine where I feel like I'm getting a good workout. I want to feel like I'm not only losing weight but actually starting to build a better body so that when the weight comes off, I'll be that much ahead. Does anyone have any advice? I know I will continue with cardio. Treadmills, bikes, whatever. I can figure that much out. What about the rest? Did I waste money on a gym membership? Are all these machines as dangerous as they say? What is the most important thing when starting out... if I'm not a COMPLETE beginner, but not in good shape either?

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    What machines had you planned on using, and what are their supposed dangers?

In my experience, machines are usually a safer option because they allow resistance while keeping the weight controlled for you.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm going blind since I didn't see the plan your trainer gave or ask about the reasoning.

If you're trying to build up your biceps, for example, it doesn't matter if you weigh 400 pounds or 100 pounds - the exercises are the same. Why would weight matter for strength training? The exercises are the same. The only time weight comes into play with exercises is that truthfully, some body sizes won't be able to do certain things because of the size - either due to just getting in your own way, or just flat out not being strong enough, or it just hurting.

Pretty much every meal plan or exercise will have someone that says it's horrible and not to use it. Plus...it's the internet. Not everyone that puts up a page knows what they're talking about.

I think you should stick with the trainer's plan because it's more likely to be well rounded. If there's particular exercises you don't like, you can swap those out for other exercises that target the same areas.

Because you're newish to it, it's going to be a lot of trial and error for a while. Take it easy, don't push too hard (if something feels bad...stop!).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    *snipped for brevity*
    Do I go with the original plan from the trainer? (maybe body style/weight don't really matter that much when it comes to these types of exercises with weight machines?)

From my understanding of what my trainer told me, it doesn't matter what your body type is, everyone can benefit from the resistance band machines (assuming those are the kind of machines you are talking about). The difference is in how much weight you put on them, and how you progress to higher weights. She also told me to work out all of the muscle groups, but move from the bigger muscle groups to the smaller. I do things like the lat pull and the seated row and finish with the biceps and triceps when I do the upper body.

Congrats on your progress so far! You have done really well and are taking the right approach: do what you can when you can do it and keep looking for more.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy...

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

I started with free weights. I have a knee and ankle that hate me, weight still to lose, and sometimes my neck also hates me. Everything has been better since I started with the above program.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    STOP!!!! Stop researching on the internet and reading the horror stories!!! The personal trainer knows you and your situation and is not going to lead you astray. the machines are fit for ppl of all shapes and sizes, adjust the weight according to your own strength. If something hurts you in a 'painful' way, stop. if it's a 'good hurt' as in you are working your muscles and pushing them - sore - then good! you'll learn to know the difference. As another poster said the machines are safer to begin with than the free weights. after a while you'll want to move to the free weights.

as Nike says: Just Do It!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Do what you like to do, whatever those machines are. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about them. Whatever gets you exercising in a way that you'll stick with, that's what you should be doing.
  • hippalottame
    Options
    Oh! OH! (raising my hand..pick me..pick me....) I know the answer to this one!!! LOL
    I went from couch potato to dedicated gym rat. It can be VERY overwhelming. Free weights, aerobics, hydraulics, assorted weird machines.

First I'd suggest u subscribe to a hardcore fitness magazine (I used to love Weider publications).
    Work out with other people on free passes and you'll learn from them.
    Hint: Don't trust every trainer you run across - listen to your own body.
    On your own? Just do the simple stuff (treadmill for instance) and learn one machine at a time. Ideally you should get in your aerobics and work out your upper body one day and lower body the next.
    Don't be shy about asking how the equipment works. You''re paying for that information.

The first time I used the stepper? Disastrous.
    A year later my legs were looking foward to my 45 min workouts.
    Ah, those were the days.
    You'll find the "compound" exercises are the ones that give you the fastest results starting out. Good luck!!!!! HAVE FUN!!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly positive I'm overthinking this

well...at the very least you're overwriting this. google stronglifts and just go work out.
  • OriginalKatie
    OriginalKatie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you want to avoid injury, get the trainer to show you the proper techniques when using the various machines. There's no need to be scared of them. Don't be disheartened - you haven't wasted your gym membership. You just need to get some instruction, and give it a go. It will be worth it!
  • Koot468
    Options
    Your intuition is correct. You went to the trainer for a personal training plan and you got given a cookie-cutter plan instead. Some so-called "trainers" don't have a clue - looks like you found one.

Your plan should be for YOU! It should start you off with a routine that varies a bit but targets your goals each visit. It should be adaptable depending on progress and should push your limits but keep you coming back. Most of all it should make you feel good and (maybe not right away but eventually) it should be FUN! You need to consider weight, reps and target muscle groups and you should incorporate some cardio and stretching for each visit. A gym routine is not all about weight machines. There is a lot you can do without any machine.

I'm not a trainer so I'm not going to say more but what I do suggest is that you find yourself a good trainer. Search them out, do your homework and then interview some good ones. If you get a red flag, like you did with this one, drop 'em and find someone that you trust and knows what they are doing. Don't join a gym until you find the right trainer otherwise you limit your options. Personally I would stay away from the kind of gym that hires a trainer like the one you described. A lot of gyms are more focused on selling memberships than servicing their clients. Pay the extra money for a good trainer and a good gym - it will pay off.

A good trainer is a pro. Find a pro. Stay away from con-artists - they will only mess you up and they might even hurt you.

Oh and p.s. - 80lbs in 5 months?? Wow !! Good for you that is awesome.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly positive I'm overthinking this

well...at the very least you're overwriting this. google stronglifts and just go work out.

Do this.

ETA: Squats and deadlifts.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    First, a little about me. After losing 80lbs in the last 5 months, I'm currently 262lbs at 5'4", so I'm still a pretty big girl. Most of the weight loss has been from diet alone. I have only started incorporating exercise the last month or so with a treadmill at home and hiking on the weekends. I feel like I'm a pretty fit obese person if there is such a thing. I can't jog on the treadmill (yet!) but I can do a very fast walk (speed of 3 to 3.5) and maintain an incline of 4-6 for 30-40 minutes. I vary it upwards as much as I can and even did 3 minutes at full incline of 10 just this morning. Only 3 minutes... but its a good start right? I can't hike uphill in the sun for 8 miles, but I can do a 2-3 mile hike in rugged terrain. I'm sore and sweaty and usually have some bruises.. but its fun and I think that's not too bad for someone who weighed nearly 350lbs 6 months ago. Anyway, I'm pushing the 6 month mark and I'm ready to step it up a notch and concentrate more on exercise, so I joined a gym.

I get to the gym and immediately signed up for the consult with their trainer to get on a program, thinking I'm being smart and determined to do this the right way. Get a customized workout plan for me, learn how to use the machines properly, etc. My family went with me, they are older, but all thin and fairly fit. He put us all on the same program, which threw up red flags for me right from the start. Something just seemed wrong with a 160lb active person doing the same exercises as a 260lb semi-inactive person. Anyway, I decided to check out the machines, see what I thought would work best for me then do my own research and make my own plan.

I found some machines I liked, that I felt gave me a good workout with the requisite soreness without killing me and making me hurt for days. (Though I found those too) So I got online and started looking up opinions on which ones were best/safest for me. Turns out every single machine I looked up had warnings that they shouldn't be used. Not just the ones I liked, but every machine I could think of! So now I'm sitting here getting frustrated, wondering who to listen to.

Do I go with the original plan from the trainer? (maybe body style/weight don't really matter that much when it comes to these types of exercises with weight machines?) Do I listen to the research I'm reading online from many contradicting sources and just go home and go back to bed because every single one of these things is going to either kill me or damage me irreparably? Do I work only one body section at a time (arms one day, then back, then back, then abs, etc) or do I do a little of everything each time until I get in better shape? Do I use lower weights and more reps and use the machines to basically extend my cardio and add resistance? Or do I use heavy weights to start building muscle? Do I concentrate on low impact lightweight activity since I'm obese so I don't hurt myself or am I OK to do more intense exercise because I think I can handle it?

I just have so many questions and it seems everywhere I turn, everyone has not just different answers but completely opposite answers! Has anyone else been through this and found a satisfying solution? Yes, I want to lose weight and burn fat, first and foremost, but I also want some shape once it all comes off. I'm 40 years old and don't want to waste a single day doing just the minimum when I could be doing so much more!

I'm tired of bodybuilders saying "lose the weight first, then hit the gym. The gym is more for people to do body-sculpting, not weight loss". I'm also tired of beefy trainers telling me to use these complicated machines in this specific way to build obliques and this machine to help strengthen the deltoid.. etc, etc etc. (really? Tell me sir, are you positive I have a deltoid? Can you even find my damn obliques with a magnifying glass?)

I'm tired of doctors saying "just do crunches and squats! Those machines will damage your neck and spine" (like crunches and squats don't already damage my knees, my neck, my back, etc) or worse yet "you're too obese for those types of exercises, start easy with water aerobics or swimming" (I'm not an invalid who can barely stand and needs water to support myself or an 80 year old woman who can barely move, so who needs easy? I want to kick some *kitten*! I might not kick very high or very hard, but dammit, I want to try! )

I'm fairly positive I'm overthinking this. I just want to find a good routine where I feel like I'm getting a good workout. I want to feel like I'm not only losing weight but actually starting to build a better body so that when the weight comes off, I'll be that much ahead. Does anyone have any advice? I know I will continue with cardio. Treadmills, bikes, whatever. I can figure that much out. What about the rest? Did I waste money on a gym membership? Are all these machines as dangerous as they say? What is the most important thing when starting out... if I'm not a COMPLETE beginner, but not in good shape either?

hi,
    i totally get where you coming from as a recently obese person joining a gym forthe first time and being overwhelmed and bewildered.
    have just made myself another coffee to type this response as initial post lengthy.

having read your post and flicked thru your profile, you seem to be a strong woman with fixed goals tthat will help you on this journey.
    your 80 llb weight loss already in 5 months from diet alone is phenomenal !

i am male ,52, a nd was 235 llbs when i joined my first ever gym on july 1. took a temporary 6 week membership to see how it went,judge the environment and assess myself and the staff.
    had no full on induction and no thought of paying a personal trainer, just got trainers to show me how to use 3 machines SAFELY for my weight/ age including monitoring heart rate.

i now regularly use treadmill and recumbant bike.both of these have inbuilt fitness tests so i can QUANTIFY my progress/ increase in fitness levels.this takes away doubts and lets me see my upward curve.

other gym goers offer tips and advice once they see you making EFFORT.as does the staff.
    my gym has 2 filing cabinets full of client cards for exercises,progress etc.all individual to the user.

your question 1. isit a good start? answer. yes. any exercise that gets you burning happily is v good.

i assume you have contracted in to gym membership?
    use that resource as you would any other that you have paid your hard earned for.you have paid for a service,get what you expect from it,not just the minimum they think they can get away with.eg cookie cutter exercise plan.

Q2. do you go with plan from original trainer?
    i personally would have that plan checked over by a senior trainer or manager.
    communicate your concerns,explain your needs and see what improvement suggestions they make.
    plans always have to be adaptable in practice to work.

q3 do i listen to random people on the internet.

HELL NO ( but you knew that already)
    mfp is an excellent resource with plenty of like- minded people with similar goals and experiences of what your going thru.
    filter the advice to suit you.

q4 weight lifting
    i am not the person to help on this question as i dislike activity intensely.
    i did try some machines but they hurt next day and stopped me from swimming which is not an option for me.
    however, i fully accept now that i have lost almost 40llbs i NEED strength training next.i will take expert advice from staff on that.
    now that they have seen me work hard over 3 months,the earned respect will be reciprocated.

q5 bodybuilders saying lose the weight first?
    these are experienced fitness people.i agree with advice.add strength training later maybe.

q6A doctors advice re squats/ crunches and avoiding machines?

again, ANY fully qualified doctor should be listened too.they know you,your stats,history etc and are the best people to give advice.
    that said. what actual advice did YOUR doctor give? i am curious as i would be staggered if it was as stated.

Q6B start easy with water aerobics and swimming?

not sure why you take exception to such simple yet excellent advice.your doc surely didnt suggest you are an invalid, did they?
    guess what.i took aqua aerobics and aqua zumba initially.not for long,but it got in me in the pool and exercising.

swimming is my MAIN exercise.i built up drom 500 metres daily to being able to do between 2miles and 4kilometres daily.
    i credit this exercise with being my main weight loss tool.
    try it and see (and it is referenced in your own profile).

Q7 am i overthinking this?
    i dont actually think you are, hence my lengthy response.
    maybe slightly over-analytical, but gyms can be scary places for us beginners.
    take a deep breath, apply your skills to the. move more mantra as you already have done brilliantly on the. eat less mantra.

q8 did you waste gym membership money?

HELL NO.
    for thousands of us on here, best money we INVESTED in years.

q9 what is the most important thing when starting out?

in summary,
    setting realistic goals and targets and setting out to achieve them.
    your goals ( as i see them)

1 weight loss. scoreA+
    2 joining a gym Score A+
    3 posting detailed questions to your peers .A+

hope this helped, many many others on here have helped me and i wish you happy exercising.
    regards
    cw106kg ( now cw88kg from swimming!!)

eta. my first go on treadmill i covered 400 m( 1 lap ) in 7 mins and was fully out of breath.
    i can now do 5k in a fast walk/ jog in about 45 mins.
    last night i played squash for 2 hours against my fit,weightlifting nephew and thrashed him 10-0.yes i am sore today, but now going to pool to swim out the kinks with a continuous 2k swim.
    just thought i would add these 2 progress pointers to show how far it is possible to go with mental strength and comittment to the cause.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Do NOT put off strength training. When losing weight you will lose both fat and muscle. You want to retain as much muscle as you can while losing weight. This is why strength training is important. It is hard for women to build muscle, you won't build muscle in a deficit other than newbie gains. It can prevent you from losing a lot more muscle than you want.

Start strength training now...
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Was the meeting with the trainer an actual training session or an orientation on how to use the machines? My gym offers an orientation on how to use the machines and a free 30 minute training session (based on your current health restrictions and your goals). You can try another trainer, use the machines, use hand weights, or resistance bands. Congrats on the weight loss and Good luck! :)
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Yes I've read certain machines like the thigh ones don't work and can cause you to hurt yourself too. I also know since I started using one I see a difference . Just be sensible when starting on the machines. Start off with a lower weight then add slowly to the weights and reps. Start with the trainers advice. I haven't used a trainer but tend to watch them at my gym. I've even had one give me a free tip about the rotary machine I was using. I started out around 25 lbs. on most of the machines 3 reps of 10. If some-things way to easy bump up the weight a little. I know my arms are my weakest still around 40 lbs. on them but up to 70-85 on other things.
    I usually use between 7-10 machine exercise then go do my cardio. Usually the elliptical though I have tried the bikes and the Jacob's ladder thing recently. Good luck
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have started Stronglifts 5 by 5 it is a good novice weight training program fairly easy to follow has a nice app for it also that combined with cardio would give you a nice start. Just google it. Or Ice Cream FItness it is basically Stong Lifts with a few more excercises. Just start with Stronglifts give it 3 or 6 months.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do do it with purpose and a plan! Figure out exactly what it is that you want to accomplish and then plan how you will accomplish it. If you are afraid of the machines, research there proper use and know what you are doing before you use it. Goggle is your friend! Or just ask the trainers at the gym.
    You can go to the web site for the equipment that you are interested in trying or go to "bodybuilding.com" and use the search engine in the upper right hand side, type in the type of exercise i.e. "lat pull down" it will return several links including videos of the exercise.
    Fear can be good when controlled but it will keep you from accomplishing anything if you let it, so don't let it! Control it!
    You can do this just don't let fear stand in your way.
    V/r,
    DW.

P.s. Those that fail to plan, should plan to fail! ~ Some famous guy.
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Just saving post!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Not sure why someone would say you need to lose more weight before doing strength training? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! You want to start NOW! Since you are just starting out I would go with the trainers plan. It is most likely a well rounded workout that gives you a full-body workout which is very good. Doing strength training while working out will help you build muscle which helps burn calories when you aren't exercising. If you do a slow weight loss and lift it will also help you with the loose skin issue. It won't prevent it but it will help lessen the situation.

There are TONS of theories about how to work out......upper body one workout, lower body the next, or full body. My trainer has me doing all of them. Some days we do a full-body workout that hits just about every area....legs, arms, back, chest and then some sessions it's more lower body and less upper body but we always hit at least a little of both upper and lower even if we are more concentrated on one of them. I think for you since you are just starting out a well rounded full-body workout is a good idea. It sounds like you are similar to a friend of mine. She is very large. I can't really guess what her starting weight was....I think well over 300lbs, close to 400 and she has lost about 85lbs. She is probably stronger than many thinner people. She busts *kitten* with the weights and runs. She is still very large....towards 300 I'd guess and she is about to run her first 5K race this weekend. She is by no means fast but she does it. I wouldn't even think of doing that and I'm about 167. So size is not an issue and DO NOT let that keep you from lfiting.

There are only a handful of machines that my trainer has me doing.....lat pulldown, leg press, leg curl and leg extention. The rest of what we do is free weights and cross-fit. The machines are good to start with but I would transition to a majority of free weights as soon as you can. The one thing that I did prior to getting a trainer that helped me ease into the whole lifting thing was the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" It gives you great background on the do's and don'ts of lifting and it is a full workout plan that you can work through. My trainer and the owner of my gym(and practically everyone you do research on) say that a couple of the best exercises to do are squats and dead lifts. Learn those and do them often, but make sure you get someone to show you proper form......that is key for success and to avoid injury.

With everything you do start out with lower weight to see what you can do. If you get to 15 - 20reps and you feel you can keep going without any problems then increase the weight a tiny bit. You want to get to the point where you hit about 15 and you are struggling at the end but not completely fatigued. You should feel that you could do 1 or 2 more(in good form). That's when you stop. You don't go all the way to muscle exhaustion. The whole low weight high rep vs. high weight and low rep is also something that can be switched up. My trainer has me doing both. I do higher weight,lower reps with him so he is there to spot me and help if I need it and then when I work out on my own I do lower weight with higher reps. Good luck !
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy...

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

I started with free weights. I have a knee and ankle that hate me, weight still to lose, and sometimes my neck also hates me. Everything has been better since I started with the above program.

This!

If you want to lifts weights at the gym, start off with a lifting program like Stronglifts 5x5 (linked above), New Rules of Lifting, or something similar, and definitely start now! You don't have to wait until you're to your goal weight. If you look through various forums, there are a lot of success stories and before and after threads for women who have been at the gym performing compound lifts and changing the way their bodies look. You have zero idea if your trainer's program works. Do you know anyone else he's trained who has had good results? If you do, by all means, trust him, but if you don't, who knows?

The reason people usually say that machines are "bad" is because they isolate individual muscles while not giving your body any reason to use other stabilizing muscles, and some (not all) of them can emphasize incorrect form. It doesn't translate to the real world as well as free-weight lifting (balance, being able to use all of the muscles together to lift and carry things), so it doesn't technically do you as much good if that's all you're doing. However, lifting on the machines is better than not lifting at all!

A free-weights program like Stronglifts or NROL will help you get stronger and keep your muscles while you lose weight. Stronglifts, at least, has a very comprehensive website that includes examples of how to do the exercises, as well as a lifting program that gets progressively more difficult over a few months. They also have an app for iPhones and Android phones to make it simpler at the gym. Try out one of those, or if you'd prefer bodyweight stuff, there's Convict Conditioning, You Are Your Own Gym, nerdfitness.com, and a bunch of other sites that have exercises you can do at home that are very effective.

Good luck!