WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY

Options

Replies

• juliectr
    juliectr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I thought that as I got "more mature" I would get a handle on my cravings, grow up...but they seem to have gotten worse. I feel out of control. I start every day with new resolve, breakfast is easy, lunch is ok, then by afternoon I loose it completely.Then go to bed discouraged. I went to Chili's today, thinking that a soup and salad would be a good choice....then topped it off with a paradise pie.( More calories than I should have in a day! )
    I see that many of you have lost wight successfully, and was wondering what is the magic ingredient that I am missing? What makes you stick with it day after day without loosing your resolve over the first treat that comes along?

becoming a little gloomy
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Darlis sending positive thoughts out for you and your hubby.

so I am off to the wedding!

I hope you all have a great day.
  • valerian101
    valerian101 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP but I did lose 5 lbs in the week before I joined. I also was once upon a time a Vitaline weight loss trainer. (Those were the days, my friend!).

The keys to losing weight are diet, excercise and motivation. This site gives lots of motivation. :smile:

When you are tempted to eat something not compatible with your diet plan ask yourself, "What is more important to me, losing weight and getting fit or eating this".

Also in your quieter moments ask yourself very gently as to why you are punishing yourself because that is what you are doing. Sometimes when someone feels down, they comfort themselves by eating. This gives a feeling of fullness and satisfaction but afterwards the regret and depression sink in.

I don't know how you are managing with any exercise but if you can do something it increases not only one's metabolism but also a chemical which gives a 'feel good' factor. As you get fitter and more toned you feel better about yourself.

When you feel down, let us know and we will cheer you up one way or another!
    :heart:
    valerie
  • valerian101
    valerian101 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Especially for Darlis. Thinking of you and you hubby. I know how terrible it can be...

:heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • snugglepuss123
    Options
    hi i hope you don't mind me joining in. my name is val i live in the uk and need to lose at least 20lbs and hopefully will do it this time !!!!! am hoping ur inspirational stories will keep me motivated good luck to all of u
  • snugglepuss123
    Options
    hi i hope you don't mind me joining in. my name is val i live in the uk and need to lose at least 20lbs and hopefully will do it this time !!!!! am hoping ur inspirational stories will keep me motivated good luck to all of u
  • mrsanderson404
    Options
    Welcome Val...they seem to like everyone here so join us!!!

I was just filling out my food diary and searched for "butter"....the serving size that came up was "1 cup".....I laughed out loud...ahhhh....they know me sooo well..

.LOL....(not really, but sometimes I think that must have been my serving size just by looking at these hips!)
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to newbies!:smile: Darlis, I will be praying for your husband and for you as you wait.:smile: Lynn, good to get acquainted with you through your profile. This is an encouraging place to be able to come every day!
    I have forgotten how to change my goals under my ticker. They are from last August, I need to update. Anyone know how I do this? Thanks:embarassed:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Darlis--Many, many prayers for you and your husband--for healing and for peace.:heart::heart:

Julie--I've been struggling lately, too. Stress and lack of sleep are my current problems. :grumble: I find I just do not make good choices when I don't get enough sleep.
    One thing I do try to do, though, is just not eat out very often! I have SO much more control in my own home!

Robin--Have a wonderful time at the wedding!:happy:

Welcome, Val!:flowerforyou: These women WILL motivate you!

Doobie--Click on 'Signature' (on the 'Community' page) and you will be able to update your goals.

I am going outside for a walk today. We have a bit of sunshine! YAY!:happy:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP but I did lose 5 lbs in the week before I joined. I also was once upon a time a Vitaline weight loss trainer. (Those were the days, my friend!).

The keys to losing weight are diet, excercise and motivation. This site gives lots of motivation. :smile:

When you are tempted to eat something not compatible with your diet plan ask yourself, "What is more important to me, losing weight and getting fit or eating this".

Also in your quieter moments ask yourself very gently as to why you are punishing yourself because that is what you are doing. Sometimes when someone feels down, they comfort themselves by eating. This gives a feeling of fullness and satisfaction but afterwards the regret and depression sink in.

I don't know how you are managing with any exercise but if you can do something it increases not only one's metabolism but also a chemical which gives a 'feel good' factor. As you get fitter and more toned you feel better about yourself.

When you feel down, let us know and we will cheer you up one way or another!
    :heart:
    valerie

What she said!
  • msh0530
    Options
    Glad to hear most of you are doing fine today. Just to let you get to know me better - I spend most of my day helping high school students with math. So far today, I have explained proportions, setting up inequalities from story problems, the converse of the fundamental theorem of variations, how to solve quadratic inequalities, and how to find the last two digits of 4 to the 2001st power.
    I am doing fine - still plugging away at getting back on track. Really good day yesterday staying focused. Hope for another one today. Here's to smart choices! (Now back to my synthetic division before I help some students with perpendicular lines . . . )
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

Sorry I'm not going to be able to reply individually, but I would just like to let Darlis know that I will be saying prayers for your husband. Big hugs.

Robin, have a fantastic time at the wedding and make sure you take lots of photos. I know you are going to wow everyone!

To all you newbies, welcome - you have joined a group of loving, caring, vital women who will be there for you on every step of your journey.

I am maintaining well and feeling better health wise. On Monday I babysat my sister's two youngest children. My nephew (and favourite godson) has just turned 11 and my darling niece is 5. We played a game of 'Tibbles', which is basically skittles but with soft, squishy skittles and balls. It turned into a game of baseball with my nephew pitching the ball at me and me hitting it with the skittle. Great fun and we caused minimal damage! After that we did some dancing. My niecphews were fascinated that I could do high kicks and almost the splits. Much hilarity enjoyed by us all. I'm looking forward to being able to do the same sort of thing with my grandtwins. Think back a year, when I was barely able to walk more than a few yards without my walking stick.

My cycling lessons are coming along nicely, although I still get a very sore behind after every ride! Lack of padding! From next Tuesday I will be going to an extra aqua fit class each week. I'm loving them! Still can't swim very well, but I'm managing to do about 20 half widths (as I can only swim underwater and I can only manage half a width before I need to take a breath) each session - it all helps!

Still no home internet and now we have no satellite television either. At least it means I have more time in my home gym.

Well, my friends, I hope you are all doing the right thing in the right way and that you are coping well with everything life is throwing at you.

My love to you all.

Amanda x
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    There are just too too many posts for me to go thru, so I apologize. My sympathies to all who lost someone, congrats to all the losers, please let me know if there's something really important that I may have missed.

Well, I flew up to Washington, my daughter met me and I spent the night at her place. The next day we drove up to the memorial service. After the service we drove back to Washington. I was scheduled to fly out of Washington Tuesday, but mother nature had other plans. You have no idea how many flights I was booked on that were cancelled. Then, Wed. I was booked on the first flight of the day, but that one was cancelled. I finally got the last seat on the next flight. It did take off -- 1-1/2 hrs late. I got back to NC around 1. Fortunately, I had put the clothes I wanted to take to Europe in a basket so alls I really needed to do was to pack. Then Thurs we drove back up to Washington to fly out of Dulles (it was cheaper than flying out of Charlotte).

London -- it's a nice place to visit. If it were up to me, I really wouldn't have any desire to go back. One thing that did impress me, tho, was that even for the "continental" breakfast, there weren't paper plates but you ate off china. I just have this thing about paper plates, I'd rather use my Correlleware than paper plates.

Then we took the Eurostar over to Paris. Bryan met us there since he's on break. One thing I found was that I really really need to know more French. The food there is outstanding!!! I thought for sure I'd gain lots of weight, but I don't feel like I did. I took a pair of jeans with me that were a 4P and I thought for sure they'd be tight by the end of the trip, but they weren't. We did do a lot of walking. Vince hurt his knee before we left and all the walking in London and Paris just exasberated it. Unfortunately, he was pickpocketed on the Metro in Paris. The one and only credit card we could use, I didn't call to tell them that we were going to be in Europe. Fortunately, my credit card was accepted to pay for the hotel, the train tickets to Switzerland were in Vince's carryon bag. We took the TGV to Switzerland.

Switzerland in a beautiful country. Yes, we were there while it was cloudy (we never did see the Alps), but the views! It was really different because we stayed with my girlfriend and her husband so we saw Switzerland not as a tourist but more as a countryman. In London and Paris we took a tour bus, but in Switzerland it was very different. I did bring back some Swiss chocolate, but to me it wasn't enough. One gal said "look at it this way, that's less for you to eat". My way of looking at it is "guess that just means that I have to go back to get more chocolate".

When we got back, we spent the night in Washington and then on Sun we drove back to NC.

We still have our Christmas tree up. After Christmas it was a mad dash to get the outside decorations in (there's still an extension cord that needs to come in), then I had to go to the service, then Europe.

Vince went to the MD today about his knee, the MD said it could be his miniscus or it could be that he's used a ligament too much. Since it doesn't feel the way it felt when he had the torn miniscus on his other knee, he's just going to rest the knee. He did get a cortosone shot today.

Boy, there just seems to be so much to do. I have to do shopping for the Gala for our Newcomers group. This Sat. some people are having a surprise btdy party for one gal. I told Vince last year never to give me a surprise party. I remember that I felt that I had to buy her something. This time it's different, they've decided on a gift, bought it. Alls I need to do is give them money towards the food and gift. but I still would never want a surprise party. I would feel like I was putting someone out.

Haven't been courageous enough to step on the scale, yet. Am getting back to exercising. Mon I took an extreme pump class, Tues did incline intervals on the treadmill, today did yoga and deep water, tomorrow I'm thinking that I'll take a body sculpting class (mainly because I need to go to that branch)

It's a friend's birthday today so I'm thinking that I'll go buy a card and take it to her.

Will get back to you all later.

Welcome all new people.

Michele
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Just to let you get to know me better - I spend most of my day helping high school students with math. So far today, I have explained proportions, setting up inequalities from story problems, the converse of the fundamental theorem of variations, how to solve quadratic inequalities, and how to find the last two digits of 4 to the 2001st power.
    :noway: :huh: mmmm....

:flowerforyou: Here's to you :drinker: Mary! Whatever it is you said. I was never good at Math. English, Literature, History and Arts ...that is the side of the brain I use. My sons are whizs and DH, which is a good thing..I know basics and very limited geometry , when it comes to Algebra, calculus(don't even know if I can spell it :D) I am lost.
    I worked in banking, teller, bookeeping, data entry and worked with numbers but not the ones you are talking about:laugh:

Go Mary!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,228 Member
    Options
    Hello all -
    It is almost not January any more, but I have just spent some time reading your posts. You sound like a wonderful bunch of women, and I'd like to join in at least from time to time.

I just turned 57 (my Heinz Variety birthday, according to my kids!) and have a crazy job in a university in Montreal. My kids are fairly young - had the first at 38 and adopted a 2-year-old 6 years later -- and I generally have a great time. I'm working on a very annoying 25 pounds or so, and it sounds like this is a good group to exercise my annoyances with!

Great advice about the logging, the thinking, and the moving - thanks!
  • chicletgirl21
    chicletgirl21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!:flowerforyou:

I am so sorry that I have not been able to keep up on the posts. (Mom is monopolizing all of my time lately). I have gotten so behind on reading them and when I finally did there was just too much to comment on. I can't possibly comment on everything but there are a few that stood out.

Mimi

IZZY IS ADORABLE!!:love: What a cutie and it sounds like she is really keeping you busy. I think it is something how these lovely pets of ours end up becoming a major part of our lives, family even. I can so totally relate to the Pet Smart spending spree. I easily can spend $80 there on toys and scooby snacks! Don't even ask how much Christmas or birthdays cost me for Boo.:noway:
    I know what you mean about the hawks and keeping Izzy on a leash. She is little enough to be a nice meal for them. Boo was buzzed by a seagull the other day. She literally ducked and was scared to death. (Nothing quite so ferocious as a hawk but I guess in Boo's eyes a bird is a bird. And then there is always the threats from the 2 legged creatures that when we walk by them we get comments like, "Your dog is FAT" or "Gordita Perra! We could make a lot of carnita tacos out of that one" Seems Boo is a delicacy to everyone.:laugh:

Nyll54

I am so sorry you are suffering with migraines. They are the worst and the most debilitating headaches. I used to average one or two a week when I was working. I have only had one in the past year and that was recently and I am sure it is because of good ol' mom. Mine were brought on by stress and I was out of commission for at least a day. Afterwards your brain feels bruised and you are wasted. The pain is blinding and not being able to look at light and getting physically ill. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Do you get them frequently? What do you take for them? Hope you are feeling much better.

Michelle

Normally your exercising routines flabbergast me and I don't know how you do it all the time! But your vacation was just as exhausting to read. So much happened. I am so sorry about the pickpocket incident. I am so glad it didn't ruin your trip. France sounded lovely and I always thought the food would lucious:love: .

Pmjsmom

Where do you get those cool graphics. I love them!!:heart:

Jeannie

Was the Dan Akroyd skit the one where he was dressed and acting as Julia Child preparing a meal and he accidentally cut his finger off (I think) and blood was going everywhere as he acted like it was no big deal so he could finish the show? I wasn't sure about it being 'Dan Akroyd, but when you mentioned it that was the skit I could remember. Hilarious!:bigsmile:

To all the rest I wasn't able to comment on, I have thought of you all and send prayers to all that needed it.

:flowerforyou: I am once again changing hoome health agencies. This new one I found offers depression counseling, not just bereavement counseling. Mom is able with her walker, to stand for about 5 minutes and can walk about 5 steps before she is exhausted. She fell last Saturday. She had just got off the commode (next to her bed) and she had walked over to the side of the bed to sit down. I told her to wait a second while I moved the commode for her to allow her to sit. She was in one of her "bad" moods and was calling me names and such and she decided to not wait for me and she moved her foot without me in front of her to steady her. And down she went. I can't tell you how upset I was with her!:explode: She weighs 197 lbs and is dead weight. It is impossible for me to pick her up and she is unable to do anything herself too. It was 10 pm, my son couldn't get a ride over to help me, I couldn't afford to call the paramedics to help me lift her, because we just don't have that kind of money right now (although if she had hurt herself I would have done it then) and so finally I had to go to my neighbor's apartments knocking on the door asking for help. It took the second neighbor to answer and help me. Luckily he was a big man and his brother, who was a lot smaller, was able to lift her with me helping also. I was so thankful. He ended up giving me his phone number in case this happened again. He was very nice.
    I brought this up to her physical therapist and she told me that she is planning on discharging her because she is not cooperating with her or me in doing what she needs done to be able to walk. My mom has hit a plateau. Like I said she can stand for a short time and walk a few steps, but she is so terrified of falling (and this last weekends fall definitely didn't help, though she did not get hurt thankfully) and her days go up and down with feeling sorry for herself or being mad at me for pushing her to do her exercises that she hits rock bottom in depression. So I finally was able to find an agency that offers everything that I get now for her PLUS mental counseling to help with her fear and anger. I don't know much more that I can do for her at this point. I hope, that this agency will be able to get through to her.
    I am so stressed from all of this and I feel like I am running around with my head cut off! I wake up change her, feed her, medicate her, feed Boo, take a shower, get dressed, change her again, take Boo for a potty break, make lunch, return phone calls, make appointments etc., and every hour on the hour try and either get her to stand and walk a couple of feet or exercise in bed. Boo is constanly whining at me to take her out or just wants attention. Then it is dinner, more changes etc. I hope something works soon. This is harder than working at my job. At least there I got 15 minute breaks!:smile:

Well she just called me to ..... what else change her so I better go now.

Take care everyone. Eat well and live well
    Chiclet
  • joylaut
    joylaut Posts: 68
    Options
    Mary - good for you! Math was never my strong suit but then I did not have someone like you to help me.

Val, welcome.

Julie - for me, logging in and tracking my food has been a great help to me, along with reading these posts and reading the wgt lost on everyone's ticker. I have a terrible sweet tooth but I just started paying attention to how many calories it cost. When I exercise, I might indulge in something without going over.

But more than anything --- it drives me crazy that most of my pants won't close around my waist anymore. I just reached that limit that says, I can't keep going this way. (that is, consistently higher numbers on my scale).

Just gotta keep getting back on track time after time. For example, I know that Feb and Mar are multiple family birthdays and I will have cake and pizza and wine. But I won't have seconds and I'll have smaller pieces because I now know what I am doing to myself calorie wise. And the day after, I go right back to watching those calorie

I wish you luck on gaining mastery over resolve.

Joy
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    here I am i vegas stressing about wether or not the Iris I got will open in time for the wedding. at least the weather is absolutely beautiful. i hope you are all doing well. i will touch base later
  • msh0530
    Options
    I hope you are all doing well today. The wedding sounds so exciting! I am sure your iris will open at the perfect time.

I haven't lost any weight yet, but I feel that it will come soon, as I have been more focused. I haven't posted a loss in a year, so I am waiting in eager anticipation, and even if it is only a few ounces when I weigh in (on Fridays), I will post it!
    Everyone have a great Thursday!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Can't reply to everyone, but Darlis, my prayers are with you and your hubby.

Welcome to newbies.

Regarding the mathematics discussion. The closest I have ever been to calculus was discussing it with the dental hygienist when I get my teeth cleaned!! LOL Math is not my strong suit. My body is REAL good at adding up calories, even if I am not always good at it.:ohwell:

Today is Pepper's 6th birthday. Not sure how we will celebrate. My options are limited, due to the following:

On 1/24, it was one year to the date since the fall and concussion that landed me in the ER. My accident happened on a Sunday evening, so THIS year, would you believe I had another one???

I was attacked by a killer can of spray whipped cream,:noway: which jumped out of my refrigerator and the bottom edge of the can made a direct hit on the big toe of my right foot.:mad: <-(this little critter is throbbing and red, much like my toe). I was barefoot at the time, and talk about HURT!!

I went to the doctor on Monday afternoon. Nothing was broken, but my entire toe is black and blue, and I have only found one pair of shoes that I can even consider wearing, unless I break out the sandals--not an option when the temperature is in the 40's (F) or below. It looks like I will probably lose the nail, so that is liable to make summer footwear a challenge if it takes a while to grow back.

Needless to say, even though we finally have some decent weather, my walking is not going to be starting up any time soon. Phooey!!

I THOUGHT dairy is supposed to be GOOD for you...ya know "Every body needs milk" etc.:laugh: I guess this is what I get for not "toeing" the line on calories. :ohwell:

I need to go make some food for myself and the piglets. They are all quiet so far, but it is only a matter of time until it will be time for "barkfest." That is my name for their first meal of the day.:wink:

Barb