5 am workout people

Options

Replies

• patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    4:50am here! The first week or so is pretty rough but once you get through that it's not too bad. You really have to fight some days to get out of bed but it's worth it. Like others have said, I get all my stuff together the night before so when my alarm goes off I get going right away.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I usually do a 5am workout 1-2 times a week, doing lunch workouts on other days.

-I love the semi-empty gym in the morning – the people that are there are serious and courteous, which is nice, as there are no half-assers up at 5am working out.
    -I get everything set up the night before, so I just get up, dressed, and walk out the door without thinking about it.
    -I also drink more water the night before and throughout the night (if I wake up).
    -I eat a small breakfast of oatmeal and a protein bar so my stomach isn't growling!
    -I have found that my days are generally more pleasant after I've had a morning workout, despite the little bit of sleep deprivation.
  • skill133
    Options
    Wow...thanks a lot for the comments and suggestions! I'm hoping it will fall into routine/habit and I will like it. I can say that I felt good afterwards and still feel great at work now. Wonder if i'll be dead to the world by 8 pm though. I wish I had someone to work out with me at that time like someone suggested, but no one in my house is getting up that early and I'm just going to be working out in the basement...not going to a gym.

I work out at home too, but I still schedule it as if I were going somewhere. I also kinda like the quiet in the morning. It's my alone time before the day starts.

Besides nothing makes for a kickass day at work like hitting a deadlift PR right before you go. :drinker:

Yeah it was quiet except the dog sneering at me like WTF ? LOL Oh I can do a deadlift PR tomorrow cos I don't have one. :)
  • tjohnoconnor
    tjohnoconnor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 0445 every morning. I guess it all started at that time because I wanted to maximize my time with the family. So morning workouts fit in perfectly for me. Now my evenings are freed up to spend with that which matters most to me. At first I felt like a square peg being shoved into a round hole with am workouts. After a few weeks it became so normal that I don't even set an alarm. Now after 3 years of this the local cops don't get suspicious of the guy running at 0515 wearing BDU's and a sweatshirt.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I am up at 4:30 AM on weekdays and at the gym by 5:00. It has become such a habit now that there are some mornings I am awake before the alarm goes off. For me it feels really good getting the workout done for the day. Especially if I have a really good one. Draw back is, my *kitten* needs to be in bed by 8:30PM. If not I can usually still get up, but don't have the best workout.
  • lh1990
    lh1990 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind to listen to your body. Waking is neurologically and physiologically a very stressful task on the body. So for some that early AM work out wakes the body up, for others it's more detrimental than anything. If you naturally have heart problems, then any physician would not recommended that added stress. Also, if waking up early impacts your natural sleep cycle, then in fact it is more bad than good in the long run.

With all the personal blogs out there, I try to base my research on published journals for validity and reliability. Attached are a couple for reference. If you need a translation into lay term for anything let me know! :)

Again it comes down to personal preference. good luck!

http://jap.physiology.org/content/91/1/91
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/nur.4770080310/abstract
    http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/19461550
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:30, pulling into the gym parking lot at 5:00 AM

Just do it, like nike. It becomes a habit that can't be broken.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5AM five days per week without fail. I thought it would be a lot harder than it was, because I love my sleep. What helped was doing a workout routine that I really enjoy, so dragging my butt out of bed is easy. There are days when I just want to go back to sleep, but I know I'll regret skipping a workout (I haven't skipped one in 6 months), and that's enough to get me up. These days, I'm usually awake before my alarm goes off. On weekends, I can't even sleep past 7 because I'm so used to getting up early. As mentioned, you'll probably need to go to bed earlier in order to get in enough hours of sleep, which is really important. I'm in bed by 9, asleep before 10, every night. Usually, by Friday night, I'm so exhausted that I go to bed at 8:30 even though I don't have to get up early the next day.

The best part about early morning workouts is that you feel so great afterward and you can go about your day knowing you got your workout in and you can go home after work and relax instead of trying to squeeze in exercise.
  • skill133
    Options
    I usually do a 5am workout 1-2 times a week, doing lunch workouts on other days.

-I love the semi-empty gym in the morning – the people that are there are serious and courteous, which is nice, as there are no half-assers up at 5am working out.
    -I get everything set up the night before, so I just get up, dressed, and walk out the door without thinking about it.
    -I also drink more water the night before and throughout the night (if I wake up).
    -I eat a small breakfast of oatmeal and a protein bar so my stomach isn't growling!
    -I have found that my days are generally more pleasant after I've had a morning workout, despite the little bit of sleep deprivation.

thanks great tips!! I'll try drinking more water at night and definitely have to set out some workout clothes. I'm going try eating after at least at this point as my workouts aren't too serious right now.
  • skill133
    Options
    I'm up at 0445 every morning. I guess it all started at that time because I wanted to maximize my time with the family. So morning workouts fit in perfectly for me. Now my evenings are freed up to spend with that which matters most to me. At first I felt like a square peg being shoved into a round hole with am workouts. After a few weeks it became so normal that I don't even set an alarm. Now after 3 years of this the local cops don't get suspicious of the guy running at 0515 wearing BDU's and a sweatshirt.

HAHA awesome!! Yes family time is part of my thinking in making this change as well. Even though when I worked out at 9 pm or later they were basically starting to go to bed, I can enjoy my evenings more with them knowoing I don't have to workout.
  • skill133
    Options
    Keep in mind to listen to your body. Waking is neurologically and physiologically a very stressful task on the body. So for some that early AM work out wakes the body up, for others it's more detrimental than anything. If you naturally have heart problems, then any physician would not recommended that added stress. Also, if waking up early impacts your natural sleep cycle, then in fact it is more bad than good in the long run.

With all the personal blogs out there, I try to base my research on published journals for validity and reliability. Attached are a couple for reference. If you need a translation into lay term for anything let me know! :)

Again it comes down to personal preference. good luck!

http://jap.physiology.org/content/91/1/91
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/nur.4770080310/abstract
    http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/19461550

whoa didn't even thing about any of that! thanks.
  • smelanie504
    Options
    Sleep in your workout clothes!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have a 4:45 alarm, and I'm in my living room working out by 5:00. It's habit now - rough start, but as others suggested, laying out clothes the night before, workout set up or planned (gym bag ready if you go to the gym) and you just go. The hardest part is just putting the gear on and getting started - once I'm working, tiredness falls away and I feel great.

Earlier bedtimes will follow as you adjust to the earlier wake up time. I also love the feeling of accomplishment for having it done early, and it's way better than the feeling of regret at the end of the day if I didn't get it done.
  • sarahcakez
    sarahcakez Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm up by 4:30 to wake up, hydrate and brush my teeth so I can make it to the gym by 5:30 (this leaves time to mix & drink pre-workout, or whatever). I can't stress how much having a workout buddy (even someone you don't like) helps! Having that extra accountability pushes you to get up even if you don't want to- because some days, you sure won't. If you don't have one, it is just making it a routine that is the hardest. After the first week, Monday is difficult but by Tuesday, you'll be looking forward to it! I love the way it jump starts my day! The gym is less crowded, and I get to think about all the things I can do when I am off work, knowing I put in the time and energy earlier.. I find that working out in the evening releases too much happy hormones so I get my second wind & just lie in bed waiting to be tired! It's tough at first, but I prefer it now!
    I've got to be honest about working out at home, though- I just won't. That's something I've got to work on but going somewhere (outside for a run, even) is what works for me.
  • donnylou
    donnylou Posts: 46 Member
    Options

thanks great tips!! I'll try drinking more water at night and definitely have to set out some workout clothes. I'm going try eating after at least at this point as my workouts aren't too serious right now.

THIS ^^^
    I prep everything the night before too and literally just load my lunch into my bag, slip on my clothes and out I go. I have a cup of coffee and a banana before working out and then hard boiled eggs or pb on toast after for breakfast.
    So easy when it's all ready and you don't have to think too hard :D If you don't give yourself too much time to think, you'll be out the door and working out before you can talk yourself out of it!

Good Luck!
  • bonjolie1971
    Options
    I've forced myself to go at 5:00am. It's really the only time I have to go. The gym isn't crowded, and it's generally a more mellow bunch of people. I find that it does wake me up, and gives me energy for my day. The hard part is just getting up AND getting out the door.
  • ery0007
    Options
    I wake up between 0500-0530 in order to exercise before work. I find that if I get everything ready the night before (lunch, gym bag, work clothes) everything goes (relatively) smooth. I am awake and energized afterwards, it beats a latte every time. :)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:00 to run. The biggest thing for me is having everything ready and in one place, shoes, socks, clothes, watch, iPod, knee brace and flashing light armband all next to each other. This way I'm not fiddling around looking for things. I give myself one snooze and then get up, brush my teeth and out the door before my body realizes it's moving. :tongue:
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I usually wake up around 4~5am, my gym doesn't open until 5:30am or I would love to be there at 5am. I have been doing this for 3 month and I love it! The gym is less crowded and I can focus better. When I get off the gym, I feel refreshed and ready for my day! It will be hard the first few days/weeks, but once you get it into a habit, it's easy :-) Good luck!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I'm up every morning Mon-Fri at 5am. It took me about 6 months for it to become habit. Now after a year of it, I don't even think about it anymore. Just do it!