Lost tons of weight then gained it all back I feel terrible

Options
It's been a hard couple of months for me. I had lost all this weight. When I was a teenager I used to weigh 140 lbs and I was happy with this but the usual stress and other factors growing up led to weight gain and before I knew it I was pushing close to 200 lbs. I currently weigh in at 210 and I am 25 years old. I worked out and lost a ton of weight doing some of those Jillian Micheals 30 day shred videos and I was happy. But idk where I went wrong. Lost close to 40 lbs and was feeling great and now I feel like a letdown because I gained it all back and then some.

I tried doing something so simple like jumproping for 30 minutes and I found myself winded and tired out of breath with my back hurting. It also doesn't help that I have 0 motivation. It feels like I have to drag myself into doing a workout and completing it and I feel like a terrible person. I have no clue what to even do anymore. Has anyone here ever lost a ton of weight and then gained it all back and then some? What was your experience like? How did you gain the motivation to get back on your feet and workout again? I just need advice. I appreciate it.

Replies

• XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    Options
    Yes.

Last year I lost 30 lbs. I wanted to look hot in my wedding dress and have a healthy pregnancy.

I got pregnant sooner than we anticipated ( like on our honey moon!) And gained every lb back.

Now here I am losing the same weight all over. I was no where near "healthy BMI" then eitherso I still have a ways to go.

We will get there!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    It happens.

At one point, I had lost over 50 lbs. I then gained 70....putting me higher than I had ever been.

Why do you think you gained it back? Were you mentally not ready for the change? Was your deficit too aggressive? Do you not handle stress well...are you an emotional eater?

Those are all things to think about. Every time I gained weight back, it was because I wasn't ready to really change. Now that I am ready to lose the weight for good, I've not had a problem gaining anything back. There have been long periods of maintaining, but I've not actually gained anything back. It's just my life now.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you were dieting/exercising with only one goal in mind. That goal was to lose weight. Once you met that goal, I'm guessing you were kind of thinking, "alright. Did it. Don't have to worry about it anymore." That is the real danger of any diet/weight loss program. They END. To make sure you don't make the same mistake again, you need to think in terms of FOREVER. It isn't cliche to say that what you really want/need is a lifestyle change. Quick fixes (like crazy workout videos) work well and fast, but they are short term solutions. Think long term. What changes can you make that you will still be doing in 20 years? Those are the changes that will allow you to keep the weight off. I believe that good health is all about a mindset....and a change deep inside. If you aren't committed to forever, then it will inevitably be temporary.

You can lose the weight again. You CAN keep it off. All it takes is that one little change in your thinking.
  • sjdowhower
    sjdowhower Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I lost 30lbs the beginning of the year and I have gained 20 of it back because life got in the way and I have 3 kids and I stress it. I'm restarting today and hoping to stay on track and not give up after 1 bad weekend. That's all you can do
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have been on diets lost weight gone off the diet and gained it back several times. I needed to get off the diet mentality. I now have adopted a new lifestyle. As stated above there is no END and this is FOREVER. Even when I reach my loss goal I can always do more to improve myself. I am a work in progress with NO END.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I think this happens to almost everyone who has lost a lot of weight. Life happens. Especially in that time span from teenager to 25-ish. So many major life changes to work through!

The #1 tip I can give you is not to be too hard on yourself. The negative feelings you put towards yourself will only hold you back. Instead try to constantly be your own motivational coach... telling yourself you can do it and giving yourself positive feedback when you make good choices. Surround yourself with people and things that inspire you and make you feel motivated to make healthy choices. This can be a kind of painful process as it might involve shifting your focus away from activities/people who are holding you back and trying new things that are sometimes uncomfortable...but in the end you'll know your making the right choices and that in itself is motivational :)

Making a shift in my thinking and never letting that negative attitude linger very long has been a great help in getting my diet back into gear. I've lost almost 20lbs now and so excited to be nearly under 200lbs again (Just 1.8lbs to go!). It doesn't take that long to see results and its really nice to watch the scale going the other way and to feel my clothes fitting better.

Another thing that is super helpful is to clean out your entire house of foods that you know will make you cheat. (For me this was cookies, easy-mac and booze). I made a big donation to my local food pantry, threw other things in the trash and went shopping for the kind of foods I needed to stay full and keep my calories and other goals in check.

Adding people as friends on MFP helps and is a great way to surround yourself with others who have similar goals.

Good luck. You can do it!
  • johnnyr24
    johnnyr24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Well when I work out I want to work out because I want to be healthy. There was a point when I went to my Dr. and he stated that I was overweight for a person my age and that a diet would be recommended. Diabetes runs in my family as does cancer so I always have to watch out as I am pre diabetic but the thing is when I work out (even back when I lost all this weight) I was dragging myself through the workouts it feels like a chore and I was exhausted with back and muscle pain all over my body only to work out the next time and feel the pain all over again. People say you are supposed to feel good after a workout but often times I feel like someone beat me to a pulp from how worn out I feel. Stress is a big problem for me it always has been I get stressed so I eat to calm and help with the stress which in return does not help me.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts do you do? Find something you enjoy. That might mean not going to a gym...maybe go to a park, run a little, swing from the monkey bars, etc. Don't limit yourself to a gym.
  • csandbergfl
    csandbergfl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Break your goals down into manageable steps. Choose one thing to do a week, like go to the gym and walk for 15 mins. on the treadmill. Then add another step the following week.
    I think the mistake we make (I know I have) is trying to start too many things at one time. I've even gone as far as NOT starting on Monday.
    A little at a time & you'll be fine.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Well when I work out I want to work out because I want to be healthy. There was a point when I went to my Dr. and he stated that I was overweight for a person my age and that a diet would be recommended. Diabetes runs in my family as does cancer so I always have to watch out as I am pre diabetic but the thing is when I work out (even back when I lost all this weight) I was dragging myself through the workouts it feels like a chore and I was exhausted with back and muscle pain all over my body only to work out the next time and feel the pain all over again. People say you are supposed to feel good after a workout but often times I feel like someone beat me to a pulp from how worn out I feel. Stress is a big problem for me it always has been I get stressed so I eat to calm and help with the stress which in return does not help me.

Have you been to the doctor for a checkup recently? Sometimes feeling super tired for no real reason can be a symptom of hypoglycemia (pretty commonly associated with pre-diabetes) and/or thyroid problems. Can't hurt to get some blood work done just to rule out those things that might be holding you back.

I haven't exercised at all and I've still lost 16+ lbs. So if you don't feel like working out just know that its not necessary for weight loss. You can definitely still lose weight by controlling the foods you eat and the portion sizes.
  • k8161819
    Options
    I feel your pain. I lost a bunch of weight and then got depressed and less motivated and then gained it all back. Starting over again is so hard. Especially when you remember how hard you had to work the last time to get the weight off. Motivation can also be hard to find. For me, just wanting to get over feeling gross and big is a pretty big motivator, but most days getting the energy or the effort to work out is hard. I too just started the 30 day shred and it is hard! Especially when you are winded 10 minutes in. I always had pretty good stamina and now I was sedentary for so long that I lost it and have to build it back. If you ever need any encouragement or a little help with motivation you can add me as a friend, I am on here a lot.

Just one thing that works for me is getting a really good playlist of upbeat music that makes me want to move. Just a suggestion. Sometimes if it has a fast beat I feel like it makes me move faster.
  • millions47
    millions47 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    yes, all of my life I have lost and gained it all back. my heaviest was 345 and that was just a couple of years ago. i am 50 now and I weigh 293. You can do anything that you put your mind to it. I have been working out sine the last of May of this year and everyday I have to push and drag myself to exercise. You can do it just start doing somehting. Something is better than nothing. We are here for you.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    It's been a hard couple of months for me. I had lost all this weight. When I was a teenager I used to weigh 140 lbs and I was happy with this but the usual stress and other factors growing up led to weight gain and before I knew it I was pushing close to 200 lbs. I currently weigh in at 210 and I am 25 years old. I worked out and lost a ton of weight doing some of those Jillian Micheals 30 day shred videos and I was happy. But idk where I went wrong. Lost close to 40 lbs and was feeling great and now I feel like a letdown because I gained it all back and then some.

I tried doing something so simple like jumproping for 30 minutes and I found myself winded and tired out of breath with my back hurting. It also doesn't help that I have 0 motivation. It feels like I have to drag myself into doing a workout and completing it and I feel like a terrible person. I have no clue what to even do anymore. Has anyone here ever lost a ton of weight and then gained it all back and then some? What was your experience like? How did you gain the motivation to get back on your feet and workout again? I just need advice. I appreciate it.

Sounds like you rely solely on hard exercise as your weight loss strategy!
    Not advisable as life happens - work hours, injury, illness! And as many will tell you, exercise is only 20-35% of the work! Even Olympians with their insane exercise regimens, have to watch their food!

I exercise hard, and in the past, I would rely solely on that to try to manage the weight - it didn't work very well!

So use many tools at the same time - calorie deficit, strength exercise, cardio exercise, water consumption.
    At different points in your life, different elements will take on increased prominence (depending on schedules, work, personal circumstances) but they should all be tools you regularly use in different proportions depending on personal preference!

Being a one trick pony is a sure way to fail!
  • JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It happens. I've been there... 26yo->255lb, then, 27yo->185lb. Lots of changes between 27 and 34, and I was up to 270lb. Then I started this new stage in my life, "for real this time". I'm now at 217 lbs, and my plan is to reach 175 lbs.

So, what's different now? my motivation. It's not my looks only, but my health. To be in my best condition for my kids, for my wife, and for myself. I want to be a present and active dad, not an obese guy with diabetes and unable to be with them. I want to ride a roller coaster with them, be able to play, jump, and be there with them.

OP, look for a long term motivation, and work out hard to reach that goal. It's a long road, it's a change of life style. Be patient, but be firm. Do not feel demotivated if you see little changes at first, but in time, you will see more changes, and you will be happy.

All the best for you.
  • soopaang
    soopaang Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think you are in the same boat with a lot of us. It's always discouraging but if you want to do better you have to keep working at it everyday. All these cleanses, detox, insanity shreds, etc are just fads. Yes they work to lose weight but it's rare for a person to use it as a jumping off point. Instead we use it to help see results then get disappointed when we can't maintain.

Keep in mind that your health, good or bad, will be with you the rest of your life so the "win" of losing 40 lbs is just part of that journey. If you lose those 40 lbs doing things you can adopt for life then you will be much more satisfied.
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with this right now! I lost 20 pounds a year ago and then had a lot of really hard times happen in my life...got into a total loss car accident, lost my my mother...lost my great-aunt. Its been hard, but after looking in the mirror and gaining all of it back and 20 pounds more, I decided I hated what I saw and couldnt do it anymore. For me, I hate going to the gym because I get bored so easily so I created a schedule that centers around something that I absolutely love to do: DANCE. Here is where I searched for zumba classes that fit around my schedule...made a weekly calender and attend every class that I have on the schedule. This works for me. I hope you can find something that motivates you and can help you reach your goals.

I know it sucks. I am so disappointed in myself that I gained it all back and even more, but I want to feel again what I felt when I lost those 20 pounds...and even when Im not motivated, I attend the classes....classes always make it easier to work out because you have to be there at a specific time.

I wish you the best and I hope you find something that motivates you.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Well when I work out I want to work out because I want to be healthy.

There was a point when I went to my Dr. and he stated that I was overweight for a person my age and that a diet would be recommended. Diabetes runs in my family as does cancer so I always have to watch out as I am pre diabetic but the thing is when I work out (even back when I lost all this weight)

I was dragging myself through the workouts it feels like a chore and I was exhausted with back and muscle pain all over my body only to work out the next time and feel the pain all over again.

People say you are supposed to feel good after a workout but often times I feel like someone beat me to a pulp from how worn out I feel. Stress is a big problem for me it always has been I get stressed so I eat to calm and help with the stress which in return does not help me.
    Johnny;

Your first sentence says it all....now you just need to convince yourself that (despite what is repeated ad nauseam on many of these forums) that diet and exercise are two DIFFERENT things.

Yes, of course, they work together and there are positive benefits of engaging in both but that doesn't mean it's "all or nothing". As you have seen even in this thread, MANY people lose weight doing virtually NO exercise at all (beyond normal daily activities).

Many of the "gym rats" might refuse to accept the research but the good thing about "science" is (as someone once said) is that "a fact doesn't stop being a fact just because you don't believe it" (or something that effect).

Ample research exists that cadio exercise (even taken to extremes) has virtually NO impact (all else being equal) on one's weight loss progress.

While I'm not personally a devotee of resistance training (weight lifting, etc) there IS evidence that, done in moderation, it does have a positive effect however - so if it's a choice between the two.....

Not what many want to hear so they choose to don their denial masks which is their right.

Given your recognition of the possibility of T2D (and related maladies) in your future I would urge you as strongly as I possibly can to LEARN what you can do to minimize (or possibly eliminate) that outcome.

As your doc advised the very first step is to get rid of those excess pounds - it's NOT a vanity or "I wanna look sexy" thing - it's your FUTURE!

Even something as simple as a 5 or 10% reduction will markedly decrease the chances of your progression to T2D but it's not that simple.

It's just as much about WHAT you eat as it is about how MUCH you eat (CICO simpletons, notwithstanding).

Start here for more info:
    http://tinyurl.com/pvf6x3a

Then take at look at how (and why) to get started:
    http://tinyurl.com/pufxr3m
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    gaining weight back is my biggest fear.

i gained a couple of pounds a few weeks ago and i was really disappointed. then i thought, whatever, thats life. sometimes i will want to indulge. so do it. indulge in your intake, but also, what is important is stepping up the exercise.

I keep telling myself that i have to earn my induldensces. earn what you eat. that is really helping me....then i eat without regret.

things will balance out if you take the steps necessary for them to.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Last year I lost 30 lbs. I wanted to look hot in my wedding dress and have a healthy pregnancy.

I got pregnant sooner than we anticipated ( like on our honey moon!) And gained every lb back.

Now here I am losing the same weight all over. I was no where near "healthy BMI" then eitherso I still have a ways to go.

We will get there!

Snap. I recently had my third baby and gained most of the weight back that I'd lost after my second. I was within a healthy BMI then. I started off my third pregnancy smaller than I started my first.
  • dexlyn813
    dexlyn813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I lost 60pounds. Two years later I gained back the same 60 pounds. I got back the motivation to join back MFP in August 2014 (one month now) . My mindset is to get back in the swing of things and to lose the weight again and this time to not gain it back. You can do it trust me. All you need to do is start. Good luck on your journey.