Mom is bringing me down

Options

Replies

• JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This is the saddest post I have ever read. I have four daughters and I always told them how beautiful they were and how they should never believe anything bad that a school mate might say to them to bring them down. There is so much cruelty in the world that home is the one place a child should feel safe. Your mother is a very unkind person. I am so sorry for you. I hope you can help her see the error of her ways. Perhaps her own self esteem is so poor that she tries to bring everyone else down to her level? I don't know. But you should definitely ignore her terrible remarks. You are a beautiful person of great worth.
  • Shalva
    Shalva Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I havent dealt with my nasty, manipulative, abusive, mean parents in twenty years. It took a long time for me to get to the point where I decided that the relationship was not good for me and never had been. 22 is pretty young and I was quite a bit older than you when I was really able to make that decision.

I will just say that it was the best decision I had made and I found myself calmer and happier and I don't regret that decision at all. Your mother is abusive, do what is best for you
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My mother is NPD (narcissistic personality disordered) and has ALWAYS used this against me, along with many other tools in her arsenal. I've tried sending clothes back, and I get the guilt trip right on top of it. It's so abusive that it's not worth it to me to go through it.

Everything she sends me now, I donate to local charities. People who actually wear these sizes can use them, and I avoid triggering her NPD. So everyone's happy and the world goes 'round.

I cam empathize completely and fully, OP. This is abuse, no two ways about it.
    I have to say, a lot of folks on this thread are suggesting pretty extreme measures. Cutting people out of your life doesn't work.

Not saying the OP is in my situation, but if you're living with someone with full-blown NPD, the above DOES work and it's the only way you'll ever get any peace. Just saying.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    its ok my mom calls me fat too. i think im just right but my mom calls me a fat a** :cry:
    If It helps I think your skinny!:smile:
    aww your so sweet .. add me as a friend lets chat , since my mom dont talk to me cause im fat
    What the hell? NO!! Creep!:indifferent: :noway: :grumble: :angry: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Troll status = amateur

Good call Jason. I was JUST thinking that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have to say, a lot of folks on this thread are suggesting pretty extreme measures. Cutting people out of your life doesn't work. The issue is still there.

excuse me what???

the issue is the mom: who is completely inappropriate and out of line.
    There is absolutely no dependence at 22.
    Remove mom from your life- you remove the issue.

if you remove yourself FROM the person who is doing the damage- the issue DOES go away.

There are people who are toxic and unhealthy- and it is perfectly legitimate and reasonable to remove them from your life. That's not extreme- that's normal and healthy behavior that more people should engage in more frequently and they would be a hell of a lot more content with who they are as a person.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My advice... remind her the old saying "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!"

Let her know that if she cannot be a positive influence and supportive, then she needs to distanced. Make it known to her that you want a healthy relationship with her and that her fat shaming you or buying you clothes that she knows are too big is not the way to accomplish this. You have to be willing to stand your ground though and not back down. Ask her what she would do if she encountered someone else saying or doing those things to you. Would she defend you, or join in? If she would join in, you need to break away and distance yourself until she gets the concept of being a loving and supportive MOTHER!

Good luck, and don't allow her or anyone else to discourage you.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    My mother is NPD (narcissistic personality disordered) and has ALWAYS used this against me, along with many other tools in her arsenal. I've tried sending clothes back, and I get the guilt trip right on top of it. It's so abusive that it's not worth it to me to go through it.

Everything she sends me now, I donate to local charities. People who actually wear these sizes can use them, and I avoid triggering her NPD. So everyone's happy and the world goes 'round.

I cam empathize completely and fully, OP. This is abuse, no two ways about it.
    I have to say, a lot of folks on this thread are suggesting pretty extreme measures. Cutting people out of your life doesn't work.

Not saying the OP is in my situation, but if you're living with someone with full-blown NPD, the above DOES work and it's the only way you'll ever get any peace. Just saying.

Exactly. How much is this poor girl supposed to put up with? Limiting exposure to toxic people is not cutting them out. It's expressing independence and healthy self-saving behavior..
  • bermudamel
    Options
    this is my life story too! We should start an NPD children support group. Gee why do I have a weight/body issue?
  • Reedern
    Options
    [/quote]
    And just accept that it's an ongoing thing, and it's going to be several conversations before she really gets it in her head.
    [/quote]

NOBODY should ever have to accept abuse as an ongoing thing, EVER!!!! Would you tell someone that is being abused by their spouse to just accept it because they are family? No way! If you are in an abusive relationship of any kind whether it is family or not, you do NOT have to accept it and deal with it and you shouldn't. Abuse is abuse. If she is unwilling to see what she is doing to her daughter and make a healthy change, then she should not be in her life until she does.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I have to say, a lot of folks on this thread are suggesting pretty extreme measures. Cutting people out of your life doesn't work. The issue is still there.

excuse me what???

if you remove yourself FROM the person who is doing the damage- the issue DOES go away.

There are people who are toxic and unhealthy- and it is perfectly legitimate and reasonable to remove them from your life. That's not extreme- that's normal and healthy behavior that more people should engage in more frequently and they would be a hell of a lot more content with who they are as a person.

So say us all. I mean, we need to stop thinking that mothers are ALL nice ladies who want nothing but the very best for their kids, make cookies for them after school, are always supportive, are best friends, and always ask their childrens advice on how they want to be treated. That ain't the case with A LOT of people.

Some mothers are f*cked up with a capital F especially the self-serving, passive-aggressive, narcissistic crazy ones who still don't take responsibilty for choosing to have children and choosing to not try to understand them.

I love my mother, more than she can imagine, but she's nuts and wants to still blame someone else for her bad choices.

While we are trying to figure out how to make them happy, we are getting older and forgetting to make ourselves happy.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Grab her favorite Elvis Presley commemorative plate off the shelf and smash it on the ground.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but I see nothing in the OP's description that indicates her mother is toxic and unhealthy. Looks like pretty common mother-daughter stuff. I'm not saying the issue is trivial - not at all - but f you can't deal with conflicts like this in a healthy way, you're not going to be to make any relationship survive.

Her mother failed big time in creating an environment that's safe and accepting, where her children can feel beautiful and worthy every day. Yes, that's a fact. But it's HER problem, not OP's. And the fact is there's a pretty small likelihood that the OP will cut off her mother over this. And honestly, it's pretty childish to suggest it. Which is why I think the best advice is to tell OP how to actually deal with the problem. Telling her to walk away is silly.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    this is my life story too! We should start an NPD children support group. Gee why do I have a weight/body issue?

Seriously. It's because of my mom that I was so messed up about being flat-chested, getting my period late and not knowing about how to get rid of facial hair. She was a beautician when we were younger, for christ's sake.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Grab her favorite Elvis Presley commemorative plate off the shelf and smash it on the ground.
    hahahahaha
  • Reedern
    Options

I'm sorry, but I see nothing in the OP's description that indicates her mother is toxic and unhealthy. Looks like pretty common mother-daughter stuff. I'm not saying the issue is trivial - not at all - but f you can't deal with conflicts like this in a healthy way, you're not going to be to make any relationship survive.

[/quote]

You're joking right?

"My mother has ALWAYS called me fat... even when I was actually a healthy weight in high school I was still "too big for any guy to find me attractive"
    > THIS DOESN"T SEEM TOXIC AND UNHEALTHY?????

WOW....
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options

excuse me what???

THIS X 1000! It sounds harsh simply because we expect blood relatives to love us unconditionally. Sadly, the real world does NOT work that way. This thread is heart-breaking to me. I was no perfect mother but I cannot imagine saying things like that to my child! That is purposefully hurtful. No excuses. OP, work on gaining independence first and then YOU control the relationship with your mother. If she is positive and helpful, you'll spend time with her. If she is not, you will not see or talk to her. Set your boundaries and enforce them!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    GET HARD!!! thank her for the "gifts"... BUY a large garbage can... Label it "Mom's gifts/Donations" Then have her over for dinner.. and tell her that you are going to have a little fashion show...try everything on in front of her.. then Toss it into the "donation bin".

ask her politely if your "show" has enlightened her as to what an appropriate size a gift should be... IF not.. then she should know that all future gifts will go into the donation bin.

and if she (mom) refuses to BE supportive then for your own peace of mind you need to reduce interaction with her to special occasions...
  • TasteofEnvy
    TasteofEnvy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    does your mom see herself as fat too? if you fit a medium and she sees you as an xxl she might have some issues.... like the kind people with eating disorders have...

not making excuses but it just red flags me...

i dont know how to make moms stop fat shaming, my mom has been doing it to a lesser degree since junior high school.
    She used to be really really obese when she was in high school... .but I mean like almost 300 pounds. She's like 140 now I think. So idk if her being bullied as a kid made her crazy and angsty towards me or something...
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    I too had to cut out my mother from my life for a while. Oddly, it was for the opposite reason than the OP, but still hurtful. My mother, sister, aunt, grandmother, cousins, etc. are all overweight (always have been) and are all either diabetic or borderline. In my teens I knew I didn't want this to be my fate so I started exercising and watching what I ate. I stayed a fairly healthy weight even through 2 pregnancies. Instead of accepting that I CHOSE to take control over my own life, my mother started telling people that it was because I had an eating disorder. :(

That, coupled with a few other issues, made me realize I did not need the toxicity in my life. Fifteen years later she's trying to reach out and repair the relationship. I'm open to it and trying. But it is on MY terms only.

OP, again, it is a long, hard road, but now that you are 22 you have to remove yourself from the "child" part of your relationship with your mother. You are an adult and she will either treat you as one or she won't see you.
  • TasteofEnvy
    TasteofEnvy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Just curious, are all your interactions with you mom like this, or only when weight comes up? Do you have any good times with her?
    We fight... a lot. We disagree on so many moral and personal standards, and if I don't agree with her I'm a "horrible child"... then she'll go for months with not talking to me.... which I'm actually fine with. Then after a while she'll start talking to me and saying "I need you in my life" or "I'm trying to atone for my past, let it go and just forgive me" .... and of course, I'm a sucker.
    I think we have a good time like... 10% of the time we're ever together.