Can't Imagine Myself Skinny

Options

Replies

• wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I've always been on the heavy side of average, and then got overweight in my teens. It is amazing to me that I actually have the ability to be 'thin'. I don't want to be super skinny, but I may even be a size small when I done. That was mind blowing to me, and I've never been super heavy!
  • ark67tiger
    ark67tiger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't use the BMI, If I was at my Ideal BMI I would look emaciated. some of us simply have larger frames, Don't let "BMI" influence you desire to become more healthy. FYI the BMI was created by insurance company, not a health organization. Like you I have not fit into my BMI range since the last half of high school 29 years ago. Keep your spirits up and damn the BMI.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I get it. It's overwhelming. I have no clue what I'll look like. It seems like so far away that it feels impossible.

That's why I need to focus on today. Today is the only day that I can control. I set small goals that might be a few months out (right now I'm focusing on getting to the New Year thinner/fitter/stronger than I am now).

Over time all the small daily/weekly/monthly goals will add up. Take pictures so you can see your progress over time. I feel like I still look the same, but comparing pictures shows me that I don't.

Today is all you can control.
  • tifftwoten
    tifftwoten Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is me too. I did get under 150 pounds for a year or so when I was 23, but then I got pregnant and put the weight back on. I am curious to see how I will look too. I am starting on my 90 pound weight loss journey. So far I have accomplished 10 days of logging in my meals and trying to lower my calorie intake. Now that I see how many more calories processed junk has in comparison to better food, I am becoming more aware of what I eat.
  • mssoulrebel_77
    Options
    Like many others, i see so much of myself in what you wrote. Even your perspective is very similar to mine. But I also think you have the same self destructive thinking that I also fight. Allow me to explain before you bash me for being insensitive. :)

I find all the logical reasons in the world why my success is elusive. I've never been able to lose the weight. My immediate family is all over weight. I have been "big boned" all my life. But what I have had to force myself to accept is that I use these as excuses for if I fail. I think subconsciously we get so apprehensive about not meeting our goals, that we come up with what appear to be very logical reasons why we won't meet them. And our reasons DO make sense. But we also use them to justify our "failures" way more often than I think we have a right to. Note I keep saying "We" cause I'm right there in this battle with you.

You CAN reach your goal weight. So can I. (just typing that alone I feel a weight come on my shoulders and a voice in my head telling me I won't - so I get what you're feeling). But we have to believe in ourselves. We have to believe it's possible. We have to believe that it's a long journey, and the success isn't only in getting there, the success is also in all the small triumphs along the way (exercising more, eating better, turning away that piece of chocolate or that extra glass of wine). The only way we will fail is if we allow ourselves to believe we can't succeed - because then we see failure as not just an option, but a likelihood. We have to accept that failure isn't an option, and that we will reach our goals. Because we can. And this time will be different, because for the first time, we believe in ourselves.

HTH
  • gonzanab
    gonzanab Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You might not be able to see it now, but you'll start to see changes if you make the right steps towards it. Even if you don't see the changes, you'll feel them for sure.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    keep at it, you will reach your goal!

I've lost 115 lbs and my brain has yet to recognize it.
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    sounds like me. :) my family used to call me "the brick sh**house"-meant as a compliment somehow. I can laugh about it now because I know what they meant -not so much at 15 years old. I'm not really that tall- 5'6 but I am built...like an old pin-up girl really i guess. :) Last year when I was at my skinniest (152) I was wearing a size 4. Or a 10 in some brands, an 8 in others, 6 in others....then i ate too many cookies and gained some back.... sigh. I haven't weighed under 150 since junior high and I really don't think that where I'm headed but I do plan to make it as luscious of a 150 as possible.

make a plan and stick to it. :) take pictures along the way so you can see your progress in something less abstract than lists of measurements. And don't overthink it. And when you feel good about where you are- stop and maintain. That's the point of doing all of this isn't it?
  • paomiamifl
    paomiamifl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I'm on the boat as you, albeit my situation is different. I'm in a wheelchair!
    Every picture I see of girls who weigh what I need to weigh, which is about 15-20 lbs less than I weigh now (134.2) looks OVERWHELMINGLY different from what I see my body becoming. I'm still getting used to the fact that I was a size 14-16, and now, I wear 8s.
    My husband tells me I look amazing and encourages me to continue until my own body tells me it's ok. I've been overweight my entire adult life too, so I can't see a real end. Like others have said, it's better to take each day as it comes and to have a goal to be healthy and look nice in the clothes you wish you wear. Maybe there will be some pieces you'll never be able to wear, but this is ok! Not everyone is cut out to wear everything there is to wear.
    Body image perception is SO tricky.
    Take pictures every once in a while, make small goals (my page is set to a goal of 132 which I'll change to 120 when I reach it! It's my second goal, first one was 145)
    I've lost 92 pounds. No operation, no gym, nothing except eating within the constraints of my "goal weight." That helps! A LOT! I eat what the body of a 5'1 115-120 woman should eat, minus 300-400 calories because being in a wheelchair, I CANNOT eat more than that and expect to be healthy. It's working!
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I understand, never really thought about this until now. Ironically just went to the doc/nutritionist on Friday and he asked me a question I never considered. "How will you handle being thin?" I hadn't ever thought about it, I was confused, what did he mean, how will I handle it? What kind of question is that? I don't ever think being thin will be a struggle, or anything like that.

I think how I will "handle" it is the same way I "handle" being overweight! I will,, I will still be me, no different, just healthier and with more self esteem! So look out world!! Here I come! lol

So, stop picturing an imaginary girl, and picture you! Just a healthier, stronger you!
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I believe this is a variation of Stockholm Syndrome. You've become so used to being this way, it's now a vital source of comfort, which your emotionally attached to.

But the reality doesn't change, anyone (without a medical condition) can lose excess fat from their body with calorie control + exercise.

You can be skinny, you can look fantastic - it's not a matter of opinion
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    This is me too... It's so hard to imagine myself at my goal weight (I wouldn't say I want to be skinny, just healthy). Every day, I get more and more sure that I'll see a more healthy woman in the mirror soon!

I think this is another good reason to lose weight slowly, so that your brain can keep up with the changes a little better.
  • BabyJUDYKAY
    BabyJUDYKAY Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    20 years ago, I was skinny. I have the pictures. So, I have a little bit of an idea of what I might look like, just older. I actually think more about the things that I am going to be able to do that I can't do now. I can't wait to reach those milestones. I achieved two of my goals already and it was awesome! That kind of stuff is what I am really looking forward to. My next goal is to lose 20 or more pounds by christmas. Then to be able to go out and buy some new clothes as a gift to myself. I am really looking forward to that shopping day. :)
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    So I am really late replying to this, but this hit home for me today. The number on the scale is so unreal. I now weight less than my 16 year old self did and that is when I was at my smallest. I will say, that even if someone was thin in the past, they still might not look like they use to. My body shape now is completely different than I was as a teenager. I have hover around the 200s mainly and don't remember the scale ever being in the 140s, which I am so close too. It is freaky, and yet I keep going. Also I am in a healthy BMI but still way to heavy. BMI is only a guideline.

I agree, toss your ideals out and just work for a better you. I was more focus on looks at first, now it is about increasing what I am able to do. Instead of imaging, just become a thinner you.
  • LosingLaurensWay
    LosingLaurensWay Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It will come to you when you lease expect it and can leave you too. I've lost a ton of weight and I have my good and bad days where i can see myself thinner and where I can't. Spend more time finding ways to love yourself as you are now and your visions of the future will come.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    When I looked in the mirror after losing weight I suddenly recognized the person I used to see there.

You can do it. It's so worthwhile.
  • bairborne
    bairborne Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can do anything you make your mind up to do! We will be here to support you! You have to make it fun and believe in yourself...We believe in you, I am back on try to lose 15 pounds...Lets support eachother:wink:
  • FeelinTheLove
    Options
    One day at a time, one moment at a time. Hang in there. :)
  • hippalottame
    Options
    Take the time to decide exactly what you want to be and then know you're preparing to step into your new role. I even build virtual files. It's my "homework". Add anything YOU want: clothingm hairstylesm jewelry, makeup... It''s more about recreating yourself than just dropping a few pounds.
    Does it work? My visualization techniques DO work. I've done this myself and used it to counsel overweight patients in a medical facility and I strongly feel that if you can see it, you can be it.
    All freely passed on from me to you. You're welcome;)
  • DonnaJones7
    DonnaJones7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You might want to try to not look so far down the road. Imagine yourself 5 pounds lighter. Or imagine 1 clothes size smaller.
    Bit by Bit...