Apple Pie Breakfast

Options
jdelisle
jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
Last year, I came across a crock pot recipe for "Apple Pie Breakfast", and I posted it here and it was a great success. The original recipe was tasty, but called for milk, maple syrup and a lot less fruit. I've adapted it to reduce the calories, while maintaining a great tasting, affordable breakfast.

Apple Pie Breakfast (Serves 6)

Ingredients:

1 cup steel cut oats* (must be steel cut, regular oats are far too mushy)
3 diced apples (I like gala the best for this recipe, but any kind will work)
1 cup of apple juice (I usually use Oasis)
3 cups of water
Nutmeg & Cinnamon to taste

Directions:

Combine all of the ingredients in your crock pot and cook (low 4-6 hours or high 2-4 hours) stirring every hour or so until it reaches the consistency you like.

Top cinnamon & nutmeg and with your choice of a drizzle of maple syrup or honey, a sprinkle of brown sugar, or plain!

Per Serving (not including topping): Calories 115 Fat 1 Carbs 26 Fibre 2

*You can find steel cut oats in most grocery or health food stores (sometimes they are called Irish Oats).

If you enjoy this recipe as much as I do, try experimenting with other fruit/juices. I just threw in a blueberry adaptation (1 cup blueberry juice and 3 cups frozen blueberries) this morning, and can't wait to see how it turns out.

Replies

• ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    bump!!!
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    That sounds great! My sister is allergic to apples but I bet pears would be great also!! mmmm Thanks!!!
  • lcharvon
    lcharvon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do this in single serving sizes, in the microwave! SO yummy!
  • jdelisle
    Options
    I made the blueberry version yesterday and it was AWESOME. It was only 116 calories, and VERY tasty. It was just like blueberry pie :)
  • sk4399
    sk4399 Posts: 96
    Options
    I do this in single serving sizes, in the microwave! SO yummy!

What is your microwave recipe :D
  • chantalbennett
    chantalbennett Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I made this last night and had a delicious breakfast this morning! Thank you so much for posting this!!! Delicious!
  • hotwow
    hotwow Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am so excited to try this!!! Thank yo for sharing!
  • carriedavis77
    carriedavis77 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Great suggestion thanks for sharing! I've looked at the steel cut oats before but was scared to experiment with them lol! Now I'm excited to try them :) Thanks!
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Mmm, I'm always on the lookout for something healthy other than a smoothie for breakfast. I think I'll have to try this out! Thanks! :)
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Sounds really yummy.....Is this freezable?.....
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!
  • ChristeenMosher
    Options
    This sounds delish! I will have to try it!! Here is a little thing I do with rolled oats (not instant), water, craisins, broken pecan pieces, cinnamon and I stir in a little Stevia about 1/4 to 1/2 packet, boil til done . ( I don't eat it with milk it it but you could use a fat free if you like.)
  • jdelisle
    Options

Thanks! :) I've never frozen it before (never lasts that long in my house!), but it refrigerates well! It tastes great the next day.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

Thanks! :) I've never frozen it before (never lasts that long in my house!), but it refrigerates well! It tastes great the next day.

It's just that I live alone.........
  • jms1985
    jms1985 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Oooh, yum!
  • keya1976
    keya1976 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy. Thank you for the recipe.:happy:
  • MzGrinch9250
    MzGrinch9250 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Will give this a try.
  • jdelisle
    Options

It's just that I live alone.........

You should try it out and let us know how it works! :)
  • fluffyrn12
    fluffyrn12 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yummy..bump
  • ccbloom1
    ccbloom1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yum, I'm making this right now! I can't wait to try it for "dessert" tonight :)