Butter makes your pants fall off?

Options

Replies

• PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    A professor once taught me the universal answer to all questions:

Some do; some don't. The differences aren't very great and it's more complicated than that.

:laugh: Genius.
  • trm68
    trm68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just walk across town .........................
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    A lot of what he was saying is what is being found in current research. Nutrition over the past 30-40 years has never been based on science but anecdotal evidence. We still have a problem today of science trying to link correlation with causation which in most cases, misleads a lot of people including people the with money for the research as they end up going down the wrong road away from what they actually wanted to learn. Atkins was on the right tack.

Our body's are complex machines, the fact that people still believe the whole calorie is a calorie is ludicrous. Metabolism isn't some furnace you are feeding with energy that 'burns' what you eat. Hormones are what play the largest part in weight control, not how much you eat. Insulin causes more problems than people realise. For starters, insulin is inflammatory and causes all kinds of problems within the body. One of the biggest reasons to go vlc is due to the fact you just don't need to count calories in the lack of presence of insulin. Insulin is a hormone that acts as a gatekeeper to all the cells in your body. If you eat more energy than is needed, Insulin stores that energy as fat no matter which source it is from. Remove Insulin from the picture and those cell doors don't even open up meaning you can eat energy dense foods such as fat and your body will just pass the excess fat.

The TYPE of macronutrient is more important than the number of calories. Each macro has a different metabolic pathway and are broken down by the body in totally different ways. Carbs and Proteins force an insulin response and Fat forces a leptin response. It goes a lot deeper than that but most people here are too close minded to even bother reading research or watch lectures.

If you want to carry on eating the way you want to, that's your choice. However, the science is there and it's going to change how we all eat.

So when exactly is a calorie not a calorie - it's just a unit of energy, no?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Truly awesome post title. Good work OP!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If you like the taste of butter and coconut oil in your coffee, and that combination, along with your total calorie intake for the day, falls at or below your calorie goal, you will lose weight. Unless you have a medical condition, as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. That's not to say that you will be at optimum health. Butter and coconut oil are both saturated fats, and eating a diet heavy in saturated fats without the necessary fiber to keep your cholesterol low could lead to heart disease.

Not true. Fats do not cause heart related disease. Diets high in fat and low in carbs have proven to reduce Triglycerides and higher HDL better than current drugs on the market. LDL-P also vastly improves though total cholesterol could go up (not a good marker for heart risk).

erm....no. I said saturated fats and low in fiber. I also said nothing about using drugs to reduce said cholesterol. Balancing saturated fat intake with healthy mono- and polyunsaturated fats will keep risk of heart disease low. keeping fiber intake at a healthy level also keeps risk of heart disease down.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I read that. Or at least, I tried to read it. It was literally painful to read. I'd like to call his understanding of nutrition of poor, but really, it doesn't even exist.

you-are-literally-too-stupid-to-insult_1171.gif

A lot of what he was saying is what is being found in current research. Nutrition over the past 30-40 years has never been based on science but anecdotal evidence. We still have a problem today of science trying to link correlation with causation which in most cases, misleads a lot of people including people the with money for the research as they end up going down the wrong road away from what they actually wanted to learn. Atkins was on the right tack.

Our body's are complex machines, the fact that people still believe the whole calorie is a calorie is ludicrous. Metabolism isn't some furnace you are feeding with energy that 'burns' what you eat. Hormones are what play the largest part in weight control, not how much you eat. Insulin causes more problems than people realise. For starters, insulin is inflammatory and causes all kinds of problems within the body. One of the biggest reasons to go vlc is due to the fact you just don't need to count calories in the lack of presence of insulin. Insulin is a hormone that acts as a gatekeeper to all the cells in your body. If you eat more energy than is needed, Insulin stores that energy as fat no matter which source it is from. Remove Insulin from the picture and those cell doors don't even open up meaning you can eat energy dense foods such as fat and your body will just pass the excess fat.

The TYPE of macronutrient is more important than the number of calories. Each macro has a different metabolic pathway and are broken down by the body in totally different ways. Carbs and Proteins force an insulin response and Fat forces a leptin response. It goes a lot deeper than that but most people here are too close minded to even bother reading research or watch lectures.

If you want to carry on eating the way you want to, that's your choice. However, the science is there and it's going to change how we all eat.

Our body's what? Or did you mean our bodies, as in the plural sense? A calorie is a unit of heat, so yes, a calorie is just a calorie. Perhaps what you meant is that macro balance is also important.
  • Vexxe
    Vexxe Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Yes a calorie is still a unit of energy. The way we measure the energy outside of the body is through burning it to raise the temperature of 1kg of water by 1deg c. The process of us breaking down different macronutrients has totally different effects on the energy within the calorie ingested. Energy and excess fat aren't as related as people believe. The body is a complex machine involving an unimaginable number of biochemical reactions which your average person will not understand or even know exists.

A quote I have heard thrown around a lot by current nutrition research scientists is from Einstein, "Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler." Government advice went down the route of being too simple, misleading millions of people into metabolic dis-regulation which is essentially an imbalance of hormones. Now with that said, everyone is different and genetics have also proven to effect things such as insulin sensitivity and hormonal imbalances. Macronutrient percentages are far more important in bringing your metabolism back to normal which doesn't mean cutting carbs entirely like I did.

The past 30 years or so have been spent trying to find out exactly why fat is bad for us. As with pretty much anything in science, a lot of it is done to prove logical theories that sound solid. In this case, science has found the opposite, which is quite amusing might I add with the low fat era of added sugar.

Time are changing, I believe that some of the stuff coming out of nutrition today is ground breaking and the general public should be paying more attention to it. I still see people asking about things on here that have been proven to be bro science. Surely spending 5-10 minutes on Google will answer a lot of these people's questions without the interference of opinion.
  • Vexxe
    Options
    If you like the taste of butter and coconut oil in your coffee, and that combination, along with your total calorie intake for the day, falls at or below your calorie goal, you will lose weight. Unless you have a medical condition, as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. That's not to say that you will be at optimum health. Butter and coconut oil are both saturated fats, and eating a diet heavy in saturated fats without the necessary fiber to keep your cholesterol low could lead to heart disease.

Not true. Fats do not cause heart related disease. Diets high in fat and low in carbs have proven to reduce Triglycerides and higher HDL better than current drugs on the market. LDL-P also vastly improves though total cholesterol could go up (not a good marker for heart risk).

erm....no. I said saturated fats and low in fiber. I also said nothing about using drugs to reduce said cholesterol. Balancing saturated fat intake with healthy mono- and polyunsaturated fats will keep risk of heart disease low. keeping fiber intake at a healthy level also keeps risk of heart disease down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2zoDsVimyw

People who eat diets in high in sat fat have lowered risk of heart disease.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Yes a calorie is still a unit of energy. The way we measure the energy outside of the body is through burning it to raise the temperature of 1kg of water by 1deg c. The process of us breaking down different macronutrients has totally different effects on the energy within the calorie ingested. Energy and excess fat aren't as related as people believe. The body is a complex machine involving an unimaginable number of biochemical reactions which your average person will not understand or even know exists.

A quote I have heard thrown around a lot by current nutrition research scientists is from Einstein, "Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler." Government advice went down the route of being too simple, misleading millions of people into metabolic dis-regulation which is essentially an imbalance of hormones. Now with that said, everyone is different and genetics have also proven to effect things such as insulin sensitivity and hormonal imbalances. Macronutrient percentages are far more important in bringing your metabolism back to normal which doesn't mean cutting carbs entirely like I did.

The past 30 years or so have been spent trying to find out exactly why fat is bad for us. As with pretty much anything in science, a lot of it is done to prove logical theories that sound solid. In this case, science has found the opposite, which is quite amusing might I add with the low fat era of added sugar.

Time are changing, I believe that some of the stuff coming out of nutrition today is ground breaking and the general public should be paying more attention to it. I still see people asking about things on here that have been proven to be bro science. Surely spending 5-10 minutes on Google will answer a lot of these people's questions without the interference of opinion.

Oh, my. Referring someone to Google without advising them to stick to well-defined medical sites is no different than telling them to take the advice of every person's opinion right here on MFP. Google will give them a myriad of foolish sites, Dr. Oz's at the top, no doubt.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Down 70 pounds in 6 months on the low carb high fat lifestyle. It's not bull and it's not a fad.
  • mccindy72
    Options

It absolutely depends on their fiber intake, their activity level, genetics, and intake of monounsaturated fats. You can't just make a blatant statement like that about the general population. It's dangerous.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Down 70 pounds in 6 months on the low carb high fat lifestyle. It's not bull**** and it's not a fad.

Congratz on a calorie deficit.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Down 70 pounds in 6 months on the low carb high fat lifestyle. It's not bull**** and it's not a fad.

No, actually. I have a medical condition that requires it. Thanks for playing.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

No, actually. I have a medical condition that requires it. Thanks for playing.

It's still a calorie deficit. Your medical condition may require you to be low carb for optimal weight loss but it's still a calorie deficit that controls weight loss. I love playing
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Have you a source to back-up this claim?
  • Vexxe
    Options
    I read that. Or at least, I tried to read it. It was literally painful to read. I'd like to call his understanding of nutrition of poor, but really, it doesn't even exist.

you-are-literally-too-stupid-to-insult_1171.gif

Our body's what? Or did you mean our bodies, as in the plural sense? A calorie is a unit of heat, so yes, a calorie is just a calorie. Perhaps what you meant is that macro balance is also important.

Yes, to a degree. However the whole calorie in calorie out is what people seem to misunderstand. I don't know why people think it's really as simple as that because it just isn't. Even though a calorie is a unit of energy, the way the body processes the calorie from different macronutrients is totally different and excess energy consumed does not equate to just fat storage.

I used to be a calorie counter on the traditional diet because I didn't know any better. I used to go on all the health forums and use their calculators and formulas. I used to pour hours into building a 'healthy' menu and strictly following it while working out. I never lost much and it just came back when I got bored. I then read about nutritional ketosis and spents 2-3 months doing my own reading and researching the topic. I have never felt better in my life, it has totally changed me and the troubles I had with my body. I have also found it very sustainable because I like fatty foods and I don't crave sugar or carbs like a lot of people do. Won't work for everyone but I think that's more a mental thing than a physical thing. If ketosis is done properly by anyone, you are 100% guaranteed to shed the weight no matter who you are. People who fail VLC diets tend to not understand them fully and don't follow them strictly which has to be done. Once you are in full swing of things, that's when people notice the benefits.
  • Vexxe
    Options

It absolutely depends on their fiber intake, their activity level, genetics, and intake of monounsaturated fats. You can't just make a blatant statement like that about the general population. It's dangerous.

How is it dangerous when the science is there to back it up? There is actually zero science behind fats causing heart disease. If you want to learn more, watch the video I linked. Otherwise I'll take your understanding of it as word of mouth or listening to government advice which the majority of the time favors who ever is lobbying for the products to get pushed through government channels.
  • Vexxe
    edited November 2014
    Options

Oh, my. Referring someone to Google without advising them to stick to well-defined medical sites is no different than telling them to take the advice of every person's opinion right here on MFP. Google will give them a myriad of foolish sites, Dr. Oz's at the top, no doubt.

There are some gems out there that lead into a network of solid websites containing papers, lectures and podcasts.
  • mccindy72
    Options

There are some gems out there that lead into a network of solid websites containing papers, lectures and podcasts. If you can't tell between a blog that is someones opinion and an article that is backed up by scholarly papers then that's just stupidity.

there are a lot of people on this site who are naive and don't know that much about the world of nutrition, so calling them stupid for not being experts at internet browsing is pretty rude.
  • mccindy72
    Options

How is it dangerous when the science is there to back it up? There is actually zero science behind fats causing heart disease. If you want to learn more, watch the video I linked. Otherwise I'll take your understanding of it as word of mouth or listening to government advice which the majority of the time favors who ever is lobbying for the products to get pushed through government channels.

You should take my understanding of it as advice from medical experts and my own research.