Calories burned jumping up and down vs jumping rope

Options
I started jumping rope a few days ago. I'm a beginner so it will take time for me to get the hang of it as well as build stamina. The number of calories burned jumping rope are impressive. My question is: will one burn the same amount of calories jumping up and down as jumping rope? I will have to do this the best I can for my workouts.

Replies

• jasveersingh925
    jasveersingh925 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I realize this was kind of a silly question, but still, does anyone have an answer? Thanks!
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I would think they're about the same, granted you make the same motions: moving your arms like you would with an actual rope. Generally a regular jump rope is pretty light.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Of course the rope passing under your feet burns no calories. It's the motivation to jump that's missing. Most likely you'll burn fewer calories. You don't have the same incentive to jump if you're not afraid of the rope getting caught under your feet. You'll jump slower for sure. You're probably not going to put the same effort into the jumps without the rope. You'll be missing the upper body portion of the exercise as well.

Short answer. No. Not the same thing.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Short answer. No. Not the same thing.

I agree with Waffle. Whenever we jump rope in a class at the gym, sometimes I'll jump without the rope if they run out or if I end up with a broken rope, and even though I feel like I'm still doing the same motions it's never quite as tiring when not using the rope. I jump harder and higher with the rope and it's harder to maintain for as long, whereas I feel like I could jump up and down for much longer.

• alyssagb1
    Options
    If you put in the effort it should be pretty close. Just because you don't have the "insentive" of the rope, doesn't mean you won't put forth the same effort. You wouldn't be missing the upper body portion if move your arms with the same motion. Logically other than a persons mind and effort put forth changing motion and movement, it would be the same aspect and exertion with or without the rope. Note I'm not saying simple jumping up and down is the same. Wear a heart rate monitor to be sure. Regardless of what I or anyone thinks, there's no way to be 100% sure unless you test it. (Legitimately test it, not doing both and seeing how you feel or don't feel.)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Why exclude the rope? And I'm with Waffle - not the same thing. If you really don't want to use a jumping rope for whatever reason, then maybe try jumping jacks?
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    it's not the same thing in my opinion. The coordination required to jump rope and keep the body sync'd forces you to keep up a particular level of exertion I think.
  • alyssagb1
    Options
    Has anyone tried the ropeless rope for this? "JumpSnap" comes with a calorie counter, DVDs etc. Check it out.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    alyssagb1 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the ropeless rope for this? "JumpSnap" comes with a calorie counter, DVDs etc. Check it out.

Oh look. Doctor Oz.

Nope Nope Nope
  • alyssagb1
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Oh look. Doctor Oz.

Nope Nope Nope

Oh look a smart as* lol. Only saw the product, not oz.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Oh look. Doctor Oz.

Nope Nope Nope

Aside from seeing the reviews of it being "useless", I've also seen the Community Guidelines :flowerforyou:
  • alyssagb1
    Options

Oh look. Doctor Oz.

Nope Nope Nope

Aside from seeing the reviews of it being "useless", I've also seen the Community Guidelines :flowerforyou:
    Cute ;)