victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
Ingredients:

1 head of cabbage
1lb of bacon
2 dashes salt
2 dashes black pepper
water

Directions:

1.) Put the bacon on a microwave safe plate(even a plate that u eat off of is fine). Put in microwave on defrost for defrost per ounce(if that's what ur microwave calls for, if not, by the pound).
2.) Cut up the onion(throw away the peel and the end) into good size pieces. U can also dice them too and then chop them, that works.
3.) Cut open the package of bacon and turn heat on stove to medium(u don't want to over or undercook the bacon, u want a little bit of char on it). Put 3 strips in at a time, each time adding the grease to the pot and stirring the onion around(u should have already put the onion in after u got done cutting it up). I used 9 strips total, but it's up to u how much to make.
4.) Heat up onion. Stir frequently. After awhile the onion will start smelling sweet, this is normal. It's what u want to happen. Add the pinch of salt and pepper and continue stirring.
5.) Take onion off heat. Stir again.
6.) Taking the scissors u used to cut open the package of bacon, cut the bacon into good-size pieces(small bite size strips close to half an inch). Add all bacon to the pot and stir it in with the onion.
7.) Cut cabbage in 1/2 and remove skin. Cheating here is permitted(if u haven't already done so with the bacon). Eating random pieces of cabbage is perfectly fine. No harm, no foul. Cut up the cabbage and put in the pot, making sure all the leafy pieces are separate.
8.) Add a pinch of salt and pepper to the cabbage. Add the water. Stir in real good. Put lid on. Cook on Low for about 25 minutes.
9.) After 25 minutes, check on the food, and stir again. Turn heat up to close to Medium(unless u want to be brave and ur pot is deep enough that water won't come out the edges of the lid). Cook again for another 25 minutes.
10.) Check on it again and stir. If cabbage ain't cooked good yet, put up to half past medium and let it go 10-15 minutes. If that didn't help, add a little more salt. It should help. I think that it should be fine after putting it half past medium.
11.) Take off stove(to one of the cooler burners), and serve.

Replies

• victoire713
    I ended up having leftovers with this one.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    This recipe makes no sense.

There's no onion listed in the ingredients, I'm halfway through cooking it, and now I don't know what to do because I'm missing an onion?
  • nz_deevaa
    Also, my bacon wasn't frozen, so I thawed it in the microwave for no reason.
  • victoire713
    I meant to type it when I was entering it in my recipe database. My apologies. Usually bacon is frozen. Some people refrigerate and do not need any thawing. It depends on the person
  • nitrospop
    nitrospop Posts: 122 Member
    This recipe makes no sense.

There's no onion listed in the ingredients, I'm halfway through cooking it, and now I don't know what to do because I'm missing an onion?

Said with tongue pressed firmly in cheek

I cook a variation of this recipe myself. The more bacon, the better! Try using a smoked ham hock!
  • victoire713
    I ended up smelling like onion for 2 days(and my shirt still smells like it) after making it. It was well worth it though. I caramelized the onion in the bacon grease.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    I meant to type it when I was entering it in my recipe database. My apologies. Usually bacon is frozen. Some people refrigerate and do not need any thawing. It depends on the person

Really? I usually find it in the refrigerated section at the store.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    I ended up having leftovers with this one.

Out of a lb of bacon I sure as heck HOPE you had leftovers..... that's between 17-20 strips of bacon. That's around 1000 calories (most likely more) for one meal....
    *that would also be why it only needed a 'dash' of salt. That's a whole freaking lot of sodium from the bacon.

I make this dish too but for a meal I use 1/2 head of cabbage, 1/4 an onion, and 2-4 strips of bacon (depending on where my macros are when I'm making dinner). I also sprinkle a pinch of carroway seed on top.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    You didn't change your shirt? :huh: :sick:
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Have been making this dish for years,using a couple bacon strips.I add a scant Tbl of sugar to the cabbage & black pepper as it cooks. When almost done sprinkle with vinegar,stir & serve.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    I ended up smelling like onion for 2 days(and my shirt still smells like it) after making it. It was well worth it though. I caramelized the onion in the bacon grease.

Showering will fix that. Why are you wearing the same shirt for two days especially when it smells nasty?
  • victoire713
    I did eventually take a shower and the smell is out of my shirt now(pajama top, I wash every couple of weeks to save quarters).
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    I did eventually take a shower and the smell is out of my shirt now(pajama top, I wash every couple of weeks to save quarters).

are we being trolled ????
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Have been making this dish for years,using a couple bacon strips.I add a scant Tbl of sugar to the cabbage & black pepper as it cooks. When almost done sprinkle with vinegar,stir & serve.

Do it with red cabbage and you have rottkraut.
  • if this is the quality of recipes on MFP, then we really need to rethink this site
  • nz_deevaa
    if this is the quality of recipes on MFP, then we really need to rethink this site

This is your second post. I don't think there is a 'we' yet.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    if this is the quality of recipes on MFP, then we really need to rethink this site

^ This plus it IS a free site so you really shouldn't complain. Pick and choose recipes you are happy to use and leave the rest. Everyone has a right to post on here as long as they don't break rules.

OP likes her "creations", doesn't mean everyone else has to like them. I certainly wouldn't make things her way but at least she is trying to contribute to the best of her capabillity. To the others please stop think she is trolling as she really isn't. She just wants to share like anyone else.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member

^ This plus it IS a free site so you really shouldn't complain. Pick and choose recipes you are happy to use and leave the rest. Everyone has a right to post on here as long as they don't break rules.

OP likes her "creations", doesn't mean everyone else has to like them. I certainly wouldn't make things her way but at least she is trying to contribute to the best of her capabillity. To the others please stop think she is trolling as she really isn't. She just wants to share like anyone else.

This.......THANK YOU
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member

LOL
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member

I spoke from concern... even a very healthy person can NOT eat 5000+ mg of sodium very day (with spikes up to 11,000) without doing serious damage to themselves. The OP is going to kill herself or wind up permanently damaged from a stroke.