Recipes my husband would like

Options
13»

Replies

• Sandy3313
    Sandy3313 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Smothered Steak Burgers

Sautéed mushrooms, steak sauce, and Worcestershire sauce create robust flavors in this knife-and-fork burger.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 burger)

Ingredients
    Cooking spray
    2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 (8-ounce) package presliced button mushrooms
    1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
    1 tablespoon low-sodium steak sauce (such as Angostura)
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
    2 tablespoons ketchup
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 pound ground sirloin
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    4 green leaf lettuce leaves
    4 (1/2-inch-thick) tomato slices
    4 (2-ounce) Kaiser rolls, toasted
    Preparation
    1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add shallots and garlic to pan; cook 1 minute or until tender, stirring frequently. Increase heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms to pan; cook 10 minutes or until moisture evaporates, stirring occasionally. Combine broth, steak sauce, and cornstarch, stirring with a whisk. Add broth mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Remove mushroom mixture from pan; cover and keep warm. Wipe pan with paper towels.

2. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add beef to bowl; toss gently to combine. Shape beef mixture into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) patties; sprinkle evenly with salt.

3. Heat pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties to pan; cook 4 minutes. Turn and cook 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Place 1 lettuce leaf and 1 tomato slice on the bottom half of each roll. Top each serving with 1 patty, about 1/4 cup mushroom mixture, and top half of roll.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    398 (0.0% from fat)
    Fat:
    12.9g (sat 4.4g,mono 5.1g,poly 1.4g)
    Protein:
    30.7g
    Carbohydrate:
    38.4g
    Fiber:
    1.9g
    Cholesterol:
    41mg
    Iron:
    4.9mg
    Sodium:
    747mg
    Calcium:
    79mg

this sounds really good gonna try it this weekend! Thanks for sharing
  • proctor78
    Options
    bump
  • mommamills
    Options
    yum!
  • twiglips
    twiglips Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • NoXQuse
    NoXQuse Posts: 10
    Options
    My hubby is a southern boy as well. Getting him to like anything besides steak and potatoes has been a challenge, though is starting to become a success. Healthy chicken fingers seemed to have been a favorite, where you use corn flakes, seasonings(low sodium), and olive oil as opposed to butter and breading. Also he seems to like the crock pot meals that involve pork and pot roast. Pinerest is great place to find healthier southern recipes too. Good luck!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    bumpity
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Like some other people have said, skinnytaste.com is great. So is hungrygirl.com.

In general, I use tons of garlic. I also started using cayenne pepper- I'm not sure why but the spicyness seems to help lessen the need for salt. My fiance is a salt fiend though, so he still adds it to his own dishes sometimes.

Here is one of our favorite recipes:

Asian Turkey Meatloaf

1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
    1/4 cup Trader Joes General Tsao sauce, or whatever sauce you like (keep 1 tbs of this separate from the rest of the 1/4 cup)
    1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
    1/2 beaten egg
    2 tsp raw ginger, minced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup green onion, diced
    1/2 red bell pepper, diced

Mix all ingredients together, except the reserved tablespoon of sauce. Cover pan (preferably a loaf pan) with foil, or use non-stick spray such as Pam. Put mixture into pan- if your pan is not a loaf pan, simply shape the mixture into a loaf shape (it sticks together well enough for this to be done easily).

Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes. Then top with reserved sauce and bake another 10 minutes.

For 1/4 of loaf:
    Cals- 227
    Fat- 10g
    Carbs- 21g
    Fiber- 1g
    Protein- 25g
    Sodium- 514mg
    Sodium-
  • Kathy168
    Kathy168 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    BUMP

Thanks for the great ideas :smile:
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If he thinks the food is bland, add more spices... Unless he hates spicy food I guess...

Keep some spices on the table while you eat so he can add more himself if he thinks it's too bland... The basic salt (herbal salt is awesome) and pepper and maybe some cayenne or curry.
  • tiffanytodd1164
    tiffanytodd1164 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband liked this:

Posole

In a crock pot cook overnight:
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon smoked paprika
    2-pound boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt)
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 onion, sliced

Refrigerate until fat becomes solid. Separate meat from bone, cube, throw out fat., reserve broth.

In a large kettle on the stove heat to boil:
    1/2 red onion, chopped
    3 Tbsp garlic, minced
    6 cups beef broth
    2 sm cans chopped green chilies
    1 14-ounce can undrained pinto beans, undrained
    1 28-ounce can white hominy, drained
    2 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with juices, puréed in blender a bit
    1 Tbsp oregano
    1 Tsp ground cumin
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Add cubed pork and broth. Simmer 20 min covered on low.

Serve with:
    Chopped fresh cilantro
    Shredded fresh cabbage
    tobasco sauce

12 large servings of 120 cal., 13 carb., 3 fat, 8 protein, 3 sugar.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My hubby is a good ole country boy too :wink: and he loooooooooves his southern food. It has been a challenge, but I think that I've adopted the best of both worlds to turn dinners into meals that we both love. (I am after all the next best cook to his mama. LOL)
    I just recently found a recipe for baked hush puppies. I was very uncertain about them and so was he, that is until we tasted them. They are delicious!

Makes 12
    Serving size = 1 hushpuppy biscuit

2/3 cup cornmeal

1/3 cup flour (your choice I like to use unbleached ap)

3/4 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1 whole egg

3 TBSP minced onion (fresh)

1/3 c milk (again your choice, but I use unsweetened almond milk another kind will have to adjust macros)

2tsp. dried parsley

1/4 tsp black pepper

1 TBSP canola oil (or oil of choice remembering again to adjust macros)

Grease a muffin pan and pre heat oven to 425-450 (some run differently than others)
    put about golf ball size batter into each section of muffin pan
    bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden

These are sooooooooo good.

1 muffin = 59 calories (small muffins, but worth it! and better for you than the fried version for sure. Not lacking flavor!)
    1 protein
    8 carb
    2 fat
    181 sodium

(I suppose you could adjust any of the ingredients that you wish, just remember to adjust for macros as well. I will cut salt in half next time and see if hubby notices. LOLOL)

Happy Eating! :flowerforyou:
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Tagged!
  • kMcMahan2010
    Options
    Bump for later! Some of these sounds so yummy! And I love anything I can do in a crock pot, makes the evenings so much less stressful.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    anything with his beer in it,,, ha ha
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    bump!
    Thank you!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you're using ground turkey instead of ground beef, that might be part of the problem. My husband and I both agree that ground turkey is just not for us. We've given it several chances but something about it just doesn't work. Turkey hot dogs and sausage/keilbasa are ok though. So I still use ground beef but go with the 90% or get 85% and just make sure I drain it really well. Point is, this may have something to do with his sense of taste.

Also, while most of us try to cut the fat while dieting, there are fats that are actually good for you and provide both flavor and more of a sense of satisfaction (fullness). Don't cut out oil altogether, just use a bit less and use a healthy oil like olive.

I find some diet recipes are just blah. For some reason people think getting skinny means you have to eat things that have no flavor. Add your own spices that you know your family will enjoy - from herbs to hot sauce and everything in between. Also extra vegetables can add a lot to a recipe. I add garlic, onion, bell peppers, mushrooms and broccoli to almost everything I cook because we love them so much and they're all good for you. Just make sure you don't overcook or they'll lose their flavor.

Not only that but different colors are more appealing visually. I've got a great recipe for stiry fry but it's basically ground beef, broccoli slaw onion and some spices - not very visually appealing IMHO, mostly browns and greens. I added a couple bell peppers (red and orange) for color and baby bell mushrooms for texture. Much better looking and tasting!
  • jcash6
    jcash6 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump!