T.H.E. Team... its a NEW YEAR....Join us! :0)

Options

Replies

• vikalyn
    vikalyn Posts: 155
    Options
    Howdy Gals,

We're watching the first playoff game...Seattle (gooooo Hawks) and New Orleans (aka the "Aints"). I find it safer to be here with my buds and listen to the game....not likely to munch through too much of the game.

I took a diet day off, too, on Friday. BUT, I am going to re think those Costco muffins. I knew they were bad, but it took up a HUGE portion of my daily fat allowance (among other things...over 600 calories!) And, my lunch wasn't too hot either. When I do have days like that I usually don't eat dinner...and I didn't. So it kept me under calories for the day, but again not really healthy eating. My house is pretty bare of healthy vittles...got to get that shopping list going.

I am sooo jealous of your garden, Tart! Our growing season is very short here in the Cascade Mts but when I can I take advantage of our Farmers Market through the summer. I used to have a huge veggie garden, and froze and canned everything that couldn't be kept in the root cellar. We've moved to town, on a small lot so no room for a garden. Not'in' better than fresh maters off the vine! Interesting tidbit about the egg beaters!

Speaking of jealous.....motorcycling in January Cindi????? My bike is parked and probably won't see the road until April IF I'M LUCKY. It's 26° right now...and that's WARM compared to last week. And I hear more cold(er) is coming.

How's the back, Deb? Many years back I was on a pretty restricted diet and lost 45 pounds WAITING for the brownies that was to my me reward when I got to goal. That was the beginning of the end of my Maintenance Program. Make those brownies, have one and freeze the rest for next week. Don't wait and eat half the batter then all the cooked one when you get to Goal. In fact....I just put a mix on my shopping list...even better yet...I may make some from scratch. Lord know I've got TONS of cocoa.

TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!

Blue, my healthcoach comes to me through Asuris and WebMD under the title MyWellnessWorks.com. They have a pretty nice web site with some good articles and are fitting to my particular needs. They know because of an extensive Q&A I did. My health coach is "in the know" also, so she/he knows what questions to ask. There all kinds of reasons to be on My Wellness...Weight Loss, Smoking Cessation, Stress Mgmt (Nita...you should look into that...Ü ). I'm not on any "program". After a lifetime of "Programs" I pretty much know what's good for me and what's not and how much of good stuff I need and how little of the bad stuff. I do what's easy for me to have in the mornings and easy lunches to pack. Dinners are usually pretty light, lean meat, potato or rice, veggie or salad. Sometimes I'll have a roll (but I try to resist...I prefer my grains for breakfast and lunch). It takes some planning to do it right. AND the calorie counter on this site is a HUGE help!

It looks like everyone did VERY well this first week of the New Year. I'm very happy with my 2 pounds...I think I under estimated my beginning weight by a couple of pounds, but a loss is a loss. I've GOT to exercise...I just don't know WHEN!

Okay...I'm outta here. The game is tied, and we're close to ½ time. I have to pay attention (and plan my foods for next week, make my list and shop during the later game).

Happy Losing!

vicki...*Ü*

ANOTHER TUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!! 24-17 HeeHaa
    okay, i'm gone...really!
  • VeggieTart
    Options
    Good Evening Ladies!

DH got all his prep done for the Salsa tomorrow. It took him about 5 hours to get everything chopped up. He didn't want to use the food processor because he didn't want to end up with "mush" so he did pounds and pounds of Tomatoes, Poblano's, Cubanelles, Jalapeno's, Onion, Garlic and Cilantro by hand. In the process he absolutely destroyed the kitchen and guess who got to clean up??? Yep...me. But I was cutting him some slack as he's recovering from a bought with his own back issues. No sooner did I get that mess cleaned up, I had to start on dinner. Tonight was another recipe from Eatingwell.com. I'm a recipe hound and this has become my new favorite site. Steak and Potato Kebabs with Creamy Cilantro Sauce. Even though I had this planned from earlier last week (I'm a menu planner) it worked out even more perfectly with the Chile's and Peppers that were leftover from the Salsa making. I never skewer kabobs the way most recipes call for because everything cooks differently and there's nothing worse than having a perfectly cooked piece of meat next to a raw veggie. So, I skewered like things together and left the steak whole...this allows DH to feel like he's eating a Big Ol' Hunk of Man Meat, lol! It's all grilled but we still haven't eaten yet but it looks and smells delicious!

Vic - don't be jealous of our garden. DH is originally from Utah (Salt Lake Valley) and was so excited when he moved here to find a longer growing season....LOLOLOL!! Yes...we have a longer growing season but in our area, the Home-Gardener has has more challenges than anywhere else in the US, or so it seems. As the crow flies we are about 5 miles from the Atlantic, dig down about an inch below our grass and all we have is Sugar Sand (really not much more than ground up white seashells.) During the summer months we get monsoon rainfalls. They don't last long but can swamp a garden. We dabbled for years with Tomatoes and Peppers and were on the verge of giving up because our yield was so low and our Tomatoes would burst with the sudden water influx as well as a variety of pest problems. But, I knew hard times were coming so we decided to go all-out with our garden. DH built 4 Raised Beds, they are 4' wide, 12' long and 15" deep. They are all independantly irrigated by our Deep-Well and each bed can get the amount of water it needs according to what is planted in it. The entire perimeter is also valve- irrigated the same way and we have seperate Squash mounds and a huge Bean Trellis. We lost more produce this fall from pests and disease and most recently our freezes than we harvested. I did some quick calculations about a month ago and we are running about $200.00 # per pound of produce when compared to the cost of building the garden.:noway: I know that's not the right way to look at it but is the realistic way to look at it.:ohwell: So, yes, we RELISH our Vine-Ripe Tomatoes. They cost us a small fortune, lol!!

Deb - Congrats on all the weight loss since Thanksgiving!! Yay for you!! And the smaller pant size!! As far as Mike goes, stop playing the games and focusing your power and energy toward him to either impress him or hurt him. He's NOT worth it. Not one second of your attention, good or bad. I would "Unfriend" him immediatley if you can. You have to do this for you...because you are worth it!!! As for holding down Nita, I don't know how she'd feel about a Newbie holding her down but I'm ready to take one for the TEAM!

Gotta run...been doing this on my new Netbook and damn if I can't get used to this tiny keyboard and screen but I love not being tied to my desk in the office. It's taken me forever to correct all my typo-s as I type them and there's probably more that I still can't see but I'll get used to it eventually.

Healthy Nite All!!
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    LOL VIk... well, I just started riding in October and got my endorsement in Nov, so I am game to ride anytime the weather is above 40 here. Its been great practice to ride with the weather less than perfect, but as long as it isnt really windy or Icy, I dont mind riding in a little light rain. FIgure it cant hurt me since I plan to do a TON of road trips this summer!! :0)

So, I thought I had responded to yesterdays weigh in, but aparently I had forgotten to hit POST REPLY. I had a rough day yesterday as my last living grandparent and favorite grandma passed away and I was an emotional wreck most of the day. I didnt cave to any junk comfort food, but I wouldnt be surprised if i was a little over my calorie budget for the day. I dont really care. Id go do my log, but I honestly dont remember WHAT I ate other than dinner, which was a bowl of steel cut oatmeal.....at least it was healthy comfort food. Anyways, Im really ok now. Grandma was an amazing 102 1/2 years old.... one can only be so lucky to live so long, but she WAS the perfect image of health. One thing that sticks in my head in terms of health was her telling me when I was about 19 that I had gained too much weight. LOL.. She was right, of course, and was nice about it..,, but I was pissed off at her at the time for pointing it out!! hahaa!! "gee thanks grams!" Anyway, I know she only said something because she loved me and wanted me to be healthy and happy. Very sweet woman who was a huge influence on my life. I was fortunate enough to grow up across the street from her and she taught me everything, and I mean EVERYTHING about cooking, baking and gardening. 3 skills I am proud of and love! The only thing I cant make like her is Fudge.. which lets face it... I really SHOULDNT know how to cook that anyways as Id just eat the whole darn pan!! hahahaha

I got a new fancy, smancy weight watchers scale that tells ya weight, water retention, BMI, and a whole bunch of other stuff. It even asked my age and height before my first weigh in. It says that Im weighing in at 225.6 which is up 3.2lbs from my last weigh in. But... Im not worried. 47% water retention and the good ole aunt FINALLY made her debut this morning, so.. I'll just wait till next week to see If I should trust this scale or trade it in for a different one.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

losingweight for me sw201.8/gw170/cw195 -6.8pounds
    Jessifer123 sw203/gw150/cw200.5/(-)2.5lbs.
    vikalyn...sw 232 gw 150 cw 230 -2
    crazybeerx sw 255 gw 175 cw 241.5 -6.2 lbs
    dleanne sw138/gw124/cw138 no change
    Sigra SW191/GW135/CW186 -5 :))
    VialOfDreams Original SW: 217 lbs SW on the site: 128 lbs CW: 124.2 lbs GW: 117 lbs
    bluedimplett: SW 224/GW 145/ CW 202.4 (-1.6 lbs)
    kaltgelt: SW 246.6/GW 175/ CW 240.6 (-6 lbs)
    Losingit4good- SW 222.4/GW200/CW 225.6 Up 3.2lbs of water... ack

Congratulations to those of you who lost and to those with no change or a gain, dont worry, we got a whole week... get ready to rock it next time!!:glasses:
  • LosingIt4good
    Options
    Oh and to start this next week off... Id like to ask....

What is your favorite lunch?? Are you a creature of habit at lunchtime or do you switch it up??

I'd love to know what you eat... I need some new ideas for my lunches. Im getting bored with what Im eating.
  • Bluedimplett
    Bluedimplett Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Good evening everybody!

So, despite the late start today i manage to get in a 4 mile mild walk. Then a housewarming party where i ate too much and cant remember what i ate. Oh well, i suppose this is my junk day. hehe. tommorrow i have planned to go a intense 4 mile hike that is quite steep going up and down the mountain. then grocery shopping! yaaaaay.... i hate food shopping. haha.

CrazybeeRX: lol, no one will take your chocolate at work? people beg for chocolate at my office. especially my pregnant supervisor and when aunt flo is in town. congrats on getting your ring to fit your middle finger. i'm still working on getting my ring to fit my ring finger. I'm also in between pant sizes, its nice to feel the loseness on my butt/thigh area. Oh, and my name is Marcy Leng on facebook. I should be the only one under that name.

vikalyn: Ah, so its through a different website. our health coaches asks alot of questions before you start. But, they are still scripted. my friend is a health coach and she is all about detoxing but she can never suggest that cuase the company doesnt support those methods of weight loss.

LosingIt4good: I am sorry to hear about your grandma. I have one living grandma and i barely talk to her since she lives in mexico. I've met her like 10 times my whole life. my other 3 grandparents all passed away before i was born.

Oh, i also recently got a fancy smancy scale for xmas. i did find a problem with the weight being different from my old one. there was a 3lb descrepency but i also had issues with my old scale giving me strange weights. So, since the new scale was only off by a pound compared to my doctors scale i decided to believe the new scale.

The only thing i found strange was that the body fat% was off by 10% from the one that my doctors office uses. But, whatev's i just deduct 10% and know thats the true amount. I say this because it said i was 52% fat... that means half my body is fat... 202 /2 = 101 pounds.... yeah no, i don't think that is accurate. my doctors office said 42% i find that way more believable.

Oh, and for lunch. I go through phases last week was salad. (1 cup of greens, 1/2 cup tomatoes, 1oz salame, and 1 tbsp of newmans italian dressing and a wedge of lemon) I also made a black bean salad to go with lunch.

This week i have planned to make sweet potato soup (in my lovely corck pot )along with grilled chicken breasts
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    Hi I'm new to MFP
    I am 48 years old - live in Australia - At present I weigh 86.1kgs - I need to lose 31kg

I only have one goal for this year

To return to my goal weight of 57kg.

Last year on the 12th May 2010 I finally gave up smoking (after 32 years!!!) however I gained heaps of weight (through munching out on everything I could lay my hands on

My children are at uni so I now have time to re-focus and prioritise my wants and needs to be the best person I can be and feel better about myself.

My hubby and I just returned from a holiday in Bali and I cannot believe all the 10's perfect thighs, arms, legs etc that were around the pool - I felt dreadful to be the fattest female at the resort - I told myself when I return to Australia I am going to commit to getting back to my goal weight - I know I can do it - I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers - but I am so far over my goal weight I would be too embaraced to return there at the moment
    I would love to join T.H.E. Team :flowerforyou:
  • VeggieTart
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies,

DH got up at the crack of dawn this morning. I think he was really excited to get on his Salsa. I woke to the smell of simmering goodness. It's all jarred up and bubbling away in the canner. I can't wait to try it.

LI4G - So sorry to hear about your Grandma. I lost my favorite Grandma when I was 16. I was crushed for a very long time. I also had the opportunity to live across the street from her at one point. I used to stop by her house every morning on my way to school and I would get a candy bar from my Grandpa's candy drawer and eat it on my way to school and she would wave to me every morning when I went past her window. You're very lucky to have learned so much from her and hopefully you can pass that on to your children or grandchildren. So many skills and traditions are being lost with our new found age of microwave cooking and technology. My mother was a great cook and I learned a lot from her and my Grandma but I'm learning the gardening and canning on my own and I'm really enjoying it and feel like I'm preserving a part of our past.

B450 - I'm new but would like to welcome you to the group. Trip to Bali - wow! That sounds nice!! Make yourself a plan and stick with it and you'll be one of those perfect 10's around the pool in no time!

Waving at Bluedimplett!

As for lunches, last week I ate Chicken Sandwiches. Lite bread, Dijon Mustard and Perdue Roasted Chicken Breast (lunchmeat). I'm done with that for a bit and think this week I'll do some Bean Dip/Hummus type things. My favorite is black beans whizzed in the food processor with a little jalapeno, cumin and lime juice. I like it on wraps and on Triscuits with a few veggies on the side. I also have an extra chicken breast that needs to get cooked so I may do a couple of salads with some chicken pieces on it. I tend to stick with the same things for about a week or so then find something different. If I don't mix it up every so often I definitely get bored and run the risk of falling off the wagon.

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Hello everytone.
    I am new to MFP and loving it so far. I would like to join this group because it is the motto of my goal.

I am a mom to 5 kids. I have been overweight since my first pregnancy 16 years ago. I want to be healthy and live a long life with my wonderful husband.

My goal this years is to take on a healthy approach to living and eating. I want to exercise regularly (3-5 times a week), I want to eat healthy (staying in my calorie range) and loose 50 lbs by 12/31/2011. I have 70lbs to lose but I want to start with the first 50 because that gives me 1lb a week with 2 weeks to spare. I know it will go up and down more than that, but it seems so reasonable. Then I will spend the following year working on the last 20.

My start weight is 218, CM 213 GW 168.

MY short term goal is to make this lifestyle a habit I can't live with out. It takes 30 days to make or break a habit.

MY 30 days started 9 days ago.
  • CrazybeeRX
    CrazybeeRX Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all,

I am happy today..the scale dipped under 240 today to 239.5 I am excited but be under that mark. My first goal is to hit 200lbs. then I will go for the 175 I want to be. Ideal weight for me in 150-165 but if I hit the 175 mark I will be really happy.My highest weight was 272 in June of 2009 when I started MFP. After seeing how fat my face was in my daughters wedding pictures I was disgusted enough to join MFP. That is the picture I have posted here. A pic from her wedding.

Welcome dlaplume. I thought I had been busy with 4 kid..but you have 5/? Hats off to ya! I am sure if you keep at it you will lose your 50lbs you want to. Last time I was on MFP I lost 34 lbs in 3 months. Just have to keep at it.

Veggie is the salsa you are making mild or hot? hope it turns out really good for you. Wish I had the patience.

Welcome B450. Wow a trip to Bali. I'd love to go but if there are only 10's at the pool I think I'll stay here for awhile. I went to Hawaii a couple of year ago and it was nice to see other big women like me there. I didn't feel so bad.

By the way team mates..just in case you didn't know...in figuring weight a kg is 2.2lbs. So to convert b450's weight take her kg and multiply it by 2.2lbs and you will have her weight. I am sure most of you know...but if I hadn't gone to school to be a pharmacy tech I wouldn't have known LOL.

Blue: hope you have a nice hike. Wish I had someone to walk with. I love to walk but just want to go with someone. That way if I have a hard time I have someone with me to make sure I get home.

Cyndi I am sorry about your grandma. She had a very full life and I am sure she is somewhere better! I know you will miss her but you have tons of memories to carry you through.

So far my lunches have been grill cheese or sliced boiled egg on toast and some kind of fruit. I will have to come up with something else soon but I have to buy groceries first. I get grocery money tomorrow. My son and his wife live with me and pay rent. I take his rent and buy the groceries for all of us.

We're supposed to get some snow this week so I need to go grocery shopping to make sure we have food in case we can't get out. I don't drive in the snow. I live close enough to work to walk if it is too bad. Do you burn more calories walking in bad weather? LOL

I talked to Anita this morning and she said she will be here posting soon.

Sheila how is Julia's cheeks???

Well have a good Sunday all. I am being lazy and not going to church.

Deb
  • kelseyleigh30
    Options
    Hello ladies! Happy Sunday to you all. Well, weekends are usually hard for me, but I have done a pretty good job this weekend. I have the original Biggest Loser DVD and have never been able to do the "high impact" workout. Well, I tried it last night and I did it! It was only 20 minutes, but it can kick your booty. After owning the DVD for 5 years or so, I was so excited to conquer that section.

Thank you everyone for your welcome back to the group and I look forward to getting to know you all better. I enjoy reading about you guys.

Crazybee- we are at a similar weight. I was 296 when I started MFP and am down to 238.4. My goal weight is 175 too. How tall are you?

Dlaplume- WOW- five kids... I am going crazy with two. I could not imagine finding time for myself with five kids. Great job!!!

As for lunches..I am not much of a cook. I usually take a lean cuisine and just for one veggies for lunch. It is fast and easy for me. I just have to make sure I stay under my sodium for the day, which I usually do. Kinda boring, but it works.
  • LosingIt4good
    Options
    So today its 40 minutes on the treadmill. Heading to get that done here soon. Hubby is off to his parents for the afternoon and tried to drag me with him, but I have too many other things to do, including getting my workout in and getting my meals and shopping done. He is doing me a favor tho. I guess 24 hour fitness here has a free 30 day trial when you purchase the Biggest Loser workout dvd, so he said he was gonna stop off and see if he can find the ones I want. That will give me 2 more workout dvd's and a gym membership for 30 days. We have a treadmill and an elliptical, but I really miss the gym. I did so much better with my workouts and progress when I went 5 days a week.

I made chili last night for dinner. Homemade kind. it was the yum, so Im eating that for lunch today. Ive been doing sandwhiches and am bored with that so I just need to find something new and healthy so I dont get bored.

Tomorrow I wont be around as we are heading to Seattle. My sons homeschool program gave us free passes to the Seattle Science center because his grades are 75% or above, so we are taking him up to do that and hit a place he saw on Man VS Food that serves breakfast. Not sure what I will eat there, but more than likely we will all be sharing an omelette or something. I'll be logging from my phone. :0)
  • CrazybeeRX
    Options
    Kaltgelt I am 5 foot 7 or 8 depending on who measures me LOL.

I just went shopping for the week. I got salad makings and low cal soups for lunch and lean ham for sandwiches. I still have to figure out dinners. I am good at breakfast and lunch. I save lots of calories for dinner so if I cook I don't screw up. If the kids aren't home I don't cook and then I can make sure I am good on calories.

NOt much more to say at this time. The sky is clouding up and looks like it could rain/snow.

Talk to you all tomorrow

Deb
  • VeggieTart
    Options
    Good Evening Ladies,

Deb - That is SOO AWESOME!! Don't you just love it when you break through to a different weight "decade"??!! Hooray for you! The salsa was a recipe from the Ball Blue Book of Canning and one we have never made before. We both like heat but I asked DH to go easy on the garlic (my personal preference - I don't like the stuff much) and jalapeno's this go-round since we weren't sure how it would come out. It actually came out incredibly mild so now we know we can bump up the jalapeno's next time.

Kalt - Excellent Job on the workout!! What an accomplishment!

LI4G - enjoy your day at the museum. We watch alot of Man vs. Food. I don't know how he doesn't simply explode after some of the things he eats!

Nothing exciting here. I had a pretty quiet day. Dinner was Salmon Patties and Spinach Cakes, both recipes from Eating Well. I couldn't eat the Spinach Cakes. They came out too spongey for me and the Salmon Patties were just OK. A lot of work for not much flavor. No exercise today. I took the day off.

Hope everyone had a terrific weekend. See you tomorrow.
  • VeggieTart
    Options
    Ooops...double post...
  • vikalyn
    Options
    Howdy Gals,

Not an exciting day, but got lots done. Went grocery shopping after the Seahawk game last night (yeeeouzza! there goes MY slush fund), and separated and suck-bagged the meats this morning (used the Food Saver) and rotated the meat in the freezer.. Made bread for DH and lemon muffins for my breakfasts and sorta watched some football. Under Calories today, but really want....something sweet and chocolaty.

Deb...Ditto "tart". Love those new Decades on the scale. About to settle in a new one myself...:smile:

Hope you had a good time at the Science Center, Cindi. It's been AGES since I've done anything in Seattle, except shop. I think I'd like an elliptical. It might be easier on my ol' joints than the Dreadmill. I've been riding since my 20's. Mostly dual use bikes, But when I turned 50 I thought it'd be cool to have a Harley. Yup, it is.. :bigsmile:

Kaltgelt, I'm with you on the Lean Cuisines for lunch...although I try to limit them to one a week...that one day I'm running late for work.

G'Day B450 from the land Down-under. Someplace I've always wanted to visit. I'd like to say I gained after I quit smoking over 16 years ago (16 years, eight months, 28 days and 23½ hours, but who'd counting). I was fat when I put the last butt out. I KNOW you'll be a 10B450! Looking forward to sharing the journey.

Blue...you are one exercise demon! I which I had such energy! Ha, I would if I DID exercise :wink: I have the same kind of scale, and love it...although it tells me more than I need to know, sometimes.

Welcome Dlaplume, beautiful photo! I love MFP, it's so easy to keep an eye on the calories! I know you'll be a success story the T.H.E. Team.

My Sorbet is thawed enough to dig into it now. "See" you all Monday....

vicki...*Ü*
  • LosingIt4good
    Options
    Vik- Im prolly gonna get a good laughing at about this but I just cant help it. Its a long known fact among members of the team that I am a HUGE fan of Chocolate milk. (hence why my ticker is a photo of that.. LOL) Anyways....Im one of those people that has a MASSIVE sweet tooth for chocolate so every night for my dessert, I make sure I have enough calories to have a nice TALL glass of it. I am not a milk lover at all so this is about the only way I can drink it, but there is something about the chocolate milk that completes my day and is more satisfying than anything else. I use the Nesquick no sugar added powder and 1% milk so its pretty good on calories, ect.

Just an idea!! My daughters cross country coach used to buy them chocolate milk after long practice runs and she got me hooked. Come to find out its one of the best things you can drink after a workout too!!
  • Momma5366
    Momma5366 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I wish I had time to read through all these, but work calls. Ugh.

I will say I am disappointed. I stayed at/under my calorie goals, worked out almost every day, and I didn't lose a pound. I didn't gain either, however I would have liked to see at least ONE pound gone. *sigh*

sw: 165/cw: 165/gw: 145
  • CrazybeeRX
    Options
    momma: remember that when you work out you gain muscle weight so staying the same is a good thing...keep it up this next week and I bet you will see a loss next week.

Deb
  • vikalyn
    Options
    That's right, Momma, weight is one measurement only. I betcha your jeans fit better! I haven't lost much, but I can wear my jeans all day now. Used to have to "peel" them off before 4 in the afternoon and put on my sweats.

Okay, so don't faint...I'm off to a Yoga Class!

I'll chat longer, later!

*Ü*
  • egam
    egam Posts: 127
    Options
    hi everyone!
    It's good to hear you all are doing so well! You are all truly inspiring. Keep up with the fantastic work.