is "fat" derogatory?

Options
1235»

Replies

• LadyHobbledehoy
    LadyHobbledehoy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    In response to those who had a problem with my statement(s):

I was speaking in terms of subject matter as a whole, not about a certain word in particular. My point is that I don't think anyone should have to walk on eggshells all the time, just in case even a certain topic is brought up that may "offend" someone. Some people are offended just at the mention of a subject. Example, the moment the word "God" comes out of my mouth, someone may be offended. (It has happened before.) Should I not talk about God, or politics, or any kind of beliefs because my views may offend someone? That's what I mean. I know there are mean things to say, and nice things to say. I'm not an idiot, contrary to what some of you assumed of me. However, doing nothing but coddling people becomes both tiring and detrimental in the long run.

I think some of you, for one reason or another (I have no idea why), are assuming that we say EVERYthing we think. I think before I speak all the time. People don't say everything that is on their mind. If it's mean, in my opinion, I won't say it. No one says everything they think, even in terms of something nice. "Oh, she's pretty. I have to go tell her."..."Oh, his hair is messy and his breath stinks. I need to point that out." Who does that?

I can't remember who said it, but the fact that YOU can say something but no one else can? Yeah, that's fair for everyone else.

My original point was that if someone is fat, they are fat. IN MY OPINION, using the word fat to describe someone shouldn't be seen as derogatory.

Just to be clear, I was responding directly to the comment you posted to me, not your original post. Everyone has the right to think certain words are okay and certain words aren't. I don't care if someone calls me fat - but I know lots of people feel differently.

And to further explain myself, I avoid using language that is widely accepted as offensive. In *my opinion* everyone should - and it's not walking on eggshells, it's good manners.

I also do not think most people say whatever comes to mind, whenever it comes to mind - but I don't understand people's resistance to avoid words that are commonly known to be offensive. That was the point of my post.

Personally, I do not use foul language in public. Neither do I -ever- speak like that around my kids. Like you said, there are some words that more of the majority of people see as offensive. I'm just saying that, in my own opinion, the word "fat" isn't considered one of those words for me personally. This was purely an opinion thread. I'm just stating mine. If I find a word offensive, I don't use it. At the same time, though, someone else may not find it offensive at all, and they say it. I may not like it, but I don't ever expect anyone to cater to my dislike of a word (no matter how awesome that would be. Haha).

No bigs. I just wanted to re-iterate really where my mind is. I may have been a little too...blunt or seemingly callous, but I really am not a negative person. I just get defensive when someone attacks my opinion (as anyone would).
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I like it when they say "curvy" instead of fat.
    I don't really get this one. You can be curvy and thin, or boxy and heavy, or curvy and heavy, or boxy and thin. To me, curvy means shapely and shapely means lots of variations in circumference at different parts of the body. Curvy to me means voluptuous which a woman can be at any weight depending on her hips and bust.

I think for the word fat... I suppose it depends on who you're saying it to, about, and the context. When my close friend says she's fat - she means it in a depressing way so I find it offensive when she says it. My other close friend always giggles and means it in a happy way, so it's not offensive. Both women use it to talk about themselves. Personally, I feel like "fat" means the same as anything in the overweight or above category. I feel like the word "chubby" works in the very low overweight or upper healthy weight range because these words are describing appearances not numbers.

I personally wouldn't take offense to being called fat - I would just think that person was off their rocker - I be like "uhh... what are you trying to compare me to?" UNLESS I can tell they meant it maliciously.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    "Curvy" used in place of "fat" gets on my nerves. Those two are not the same.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I like it when they say "curvy" instead of fat.
    I don't really get this one. You can be curvy and thin, or boxy and heavy, or curvy and heavy, or boxy and thin. To me, curvy means shapely and shapely means lots of variations in circumference at different parts of the body. Curvy to me means voluptuous which a woman can be at any weight depending on her hips and bust.

I think for the word fat... I suppose it depends on who you're saying it to, about, and the context. When my close friend says she's fat - she means it in a depressing way so I find it offensive when she says it. My other close friend always giggles and means it in a happy way, so it's not offensive. Both women use it to talk about themselves. Personally, I feel like "fat" means the same as anything in the overweight or above category. I feel like the word "chubby" works in the very low overweight or upper healthy weight range because these words are describing appearances not numbers.

I personally wouldn't take offense to being called fat - I would just think that person was off their rocker - I be like "uhh... what are you trying to compare me to?" UNLESS I can tell they meant it maliciously.

dont know what you ladies are talking about....curvy means you got big boobs and a nice *kitten*.
  • natashahintz23
    natashahintz23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would rather call myself fat than obese, but I notice that my friends get mad when I call myself fat. i dont say it in a bad way but I think that it just has a bad reputation. I know I am fat and I am making changes to change that. I don't like calling myself husky or big so i think it all depends on the person.
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends (From France) refers to us as "Fat kids"... I think it's hilarious.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I don't mind saying I have fat arms (or any other body part). Or that I have a lot of body fat. I don't mind the expression "feeling fat" or "looking fat." I still have a hard time with "I am (or worse… you are) fat." There is just a very different feeling behind it.

I think it's all context. When someone says they had fat arms or they are feeling fat…it's just a statement of fact. When someone says "I am (or you are) fat" is almost always an insult. It may still be a fact… but there is a very different feeling behind it.

Admit it… there is a very different feeling behind it when someone (even a kid) says "gosh, you're tall." versus "gosh, you're fat."
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,027 Member
    Options
    Words have connotations - describing oneself as fat - not a problem. Saying the word fat in context of fat content in food - not a problem.

Describing someone else as fat IRL usually has negative connotations - even if some think it is just stating a fact.
    I would never use it to describe somebody else, any more than I would use n igger and try to claim it was just a descriptive word.

There is a world of difference between describing somebody as a fat n igger and as a large African person.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I would rather be called fat than obese. I hate that word. it sounds way worse than fat. My opinion on this subject is that saying anything derogatory about someone else or yourself is not healthy or nice. You are not fat, you have fat. there is a difference. you are a person with lots of great qualities... putting a negative label on someone in regards to their health and physical appearance is no way to describe someone in relation to what or who they are. THat is my opinion on it. :wink: