Replies

• FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Pâté de foie gras
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    croissants, fabulous bread....WINE...brie, hearty soups and stews....

Pâté de foie gras is evil......
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Steamed asparagus with lemon lavender butter. Especially first of the season.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    poutine
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    What's French about French food is an emphasis on regional produce and terroir. It's not just butter, it's Normandy butter (preferably from Isigny), etc. Anything that can be traced back to the exact town or village is considered better quality.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Ok, totally curious. I grew up in France and I'm not exactly sure what I consider 'French' food. There are quite a few regional dishes that are pretty different from each other.

The cultural food thread made me wonder though... what does everyone consider French food?

Charcuterie in general.

I mean like... just look at french regional dishes, and that's like... french food.

People here in the US think of the basic stuff like coq au vin, ratatouille, bouillabaisse, the various pain, mousse au chocolat, macarons, and the french version of the austrian croissant.

etc etc.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What's French about French food is an emphasis on regional produce and terroir. It's not just butter, it's Normandy butter (preferably from Isigny), etc. Anything that can be traced back to the exact town or village is considered better quality.

no.

There is a focus on technique though, which if you had said that, I'd agree.

You are referring to a rather bourgie fetishized version of french food.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,674 Member
    Options
    Cafe food I miss eating from when I lived in Paris. Salade aux gesiers, grilled hotdogs in a baguette with melted gruyere, frissee aux lardons, moules mariniere and steak tartare in particular. Also a couple of regional dishes like cassoulet, bouillabaise and choucroute garnie.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    pamplemousse
    ananas
    jus d'orange
    boeuf
    soup du jour
    Camembert
    Jacque Cousteau
    baguette

As listed by Flight of the Conchords in their great French song "Foux du fafa"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpe_KHDEfgw
  • Anxieux
    Anxieux Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Omellete du Fromage
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    pig's eyes in a veal jus, smothered with tortured goose fat
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Cigarettes
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,992 Member
    Options
    pig's eyes in a veal jus, smothered with tortured goose fat
    You should get out more...it's good for rising cortisol levels and chronic inflammation.
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Cigarettes

I live in France and can confirm that this is (maybe) true!

I'm in the North East and this has quite a strong Belgian influence. Round here I regard French food as things like a "sandwich Americain" from a friterie stall (half a baguette with whatever meat filling topped with stacks of fries), tarte au Maroilles (a warm tart with a very stinky but great flavoured cheese), beef bourginion, cassoulet, salad de chevre chaud (salad with grilled goats cheese on pieces of baguette topped with bacon pieces), raclette, flammekueche (way better than pizza imho).

I am trying to persuade the locals to eat spicy food like my Indian curries, Mexican fajitas, and Chinese dishes but they seem to have little tolerence for my home-grown hot chilli peppers!
  • everhard
    Options
    i'm french
    for me, it's :
    snail,
    frog,
    poule au pot,
    boeuf bourguignon,
    tomates à la provencale,
    ratatouille,
    garbure,
    blanquette de veau,
    soupe de poisson,
    soupe à l'oignon,
    Daube de boeuf ou de sanglier,
    crepes,
    patisseries ( paris brest, fraisier, etc...),
    fromages ( more cheese in france than days in a year ),
    croissant,
    and so much more ^^
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I don't know about all French food, but Poutine! French Canadian though.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Poutine! ;)

Blasphemy! That's not French. It's Canadian.
    Don't be hating! It's FRENCH Canadian. That's like telling your child they're not part of your family any more just because they moved out and bought their own house. :(
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    When it comes to sweet stuff then typical French for me is tarte au citron, millles feuilles, tarte tatin, fraisier, creme brulee, pain suisse, gaufres, galette des rois, religieuse au cafe (or chocolat), and loads more.
  • skinny0000
    skinny0000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    escargo.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    "First we have Frawnch fries, and Frawnch dressing, and Frawnch bread." :laugh:
    From the movie "Better off Dead" right? :laugh: :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9AnvARnv60 starts at :38

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition