Calorie deficit, firstly.
    Macro meeting for body comp.
    Micros for health.
    Heavy lifting.
    Sugar....
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    4 basic food groups. no junk. minimal to no processed foods, make everything from scratch. 1200 calories, period. And vitamin/mineral supplements. I see a nutritionist, got my metabolism measured, and this is what I've been told to do, as my BMR is only about 1254 cals and if you factor in lifestyle and exercise I burn about 1450 to 1500 cals a day. I lose about half a pound a week and my blood sugar and cholesterol are back down to normal. It really blows my mind to see other women having these blast furnace metabolisms and eating 2000 cals and more on here. I would gain like 3 lb a week if I did that!

But u asked what we did that works.... so this is the only thing that works in my case: Be strict, or be fat. :/ kinda sux really. Been doing this since march, have gotten used to and resigned to the fact that I don't get to eat like normal ppl do. I chew a lot of sugar free gum and drink coffee and stuff.
  • sdelo7
    sdelo7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Tracking on here and realizing my problem was quantities.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I follow the: as long as it fits in my calories/macros + the TDEE method. I find that the freedom to eat what I want, but just less of it, helps me stick to this plan, with no binging. I don't feel guilty or need to make excuses, if I'm invited out to dinner. Basically, I can live my life, without feeling like my "diet" is controlling me.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    ... omg. Ms. Barometer: Very glad you are changing doctors!!! Your thyroid if messed up will wreck ur whole body. Believe me I know. They have to check all the thyroid hormones, not just TSH, plus feel the gland for swelling or nodules etc. I couldn't get treatment for mine until it was nearly dead (and I was getting fatter and fatter no matter what I did) but I FINALLY got the right meds (armour Thyroid. synthetic levothyroxine does not help me at all because it does not have all the needed components.) keep us updated on this. U may need to see an endocrinologist if regular family doctors try to blow you off. Be persistent if you have to.
  • linztx
    linztx Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    One thing I can say, is EVERYBODY is so different. It is truly amazing how what works with one person, does nothing for the next.

With that said, I am thankful for my journey.

I started 06/02/14 and have lost a total of 55 pounds, with NO fad diet, shakes, pills, etc. Simply, eating clean, and exercising. I was super strict on myself for the first Month, and cut out all dairy/breads - and then slowly started incorporating them back. I made minimal changes, such as wheat instead of white. Baked chips instead of regular. Lean meat vs regular meat. I cut out all sodas. I rarely drink a diet, maybe ONE a month, if I get a random craving. Cut out the sweets. When I want something sweet, I grab a granola bar. I cut out fast food on a daily basis, but when I do have it, I make "better" choices. Last but not least, alcohol. I still have my drinks, but I try to order vodka/water and add a calorie free sweetner. Substitutions have saved me. Choosing this over that. I stay within 1200 calories a day & log everything. If I go over, I make up for it. If I go out, I work harder. It is all about preparing, and making choices the right way, and if I do choose the wrong thing, FIX it by working out harder.

I now, am enjoying life, while focusing on the healthy lifestyle, but I am not 100% restricting myself. I truly believe things are fine, in moderation as far as MY journey is concerned.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    One thing I can say, is EVERYBODY is so different. It is truly amazing how what works with one person, does nothing for the next.
    except that pesky calorie deficit which works for everyone.
    HOW the person gets to that deficit may differ, though.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Just maintaining now

-some cardio
    -heavy weights
    -good food (within reason)
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    except that pesky calorie deficit which works for everyone.
    HOW the person gets to that deficit may differ, though.

^QTF

Because....math
  • AllTheNoms
    AllTheNoms Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What is currently working:

- Counting my calories
    - IIFYM and not feeling guilty about eating some yummy foods or having the occasional cocktails
    - Going to the doctor to diagnose my anemia and vitamin deficiencies so I can now manage them (no wonder I was so tired!)
    - Sharing my successes with MFP friends
    - Exercising in a sustainable way and not letting myself get caught up in the mindset that weight loss can/should happen over night

What didn't work (always lost weight but it never stayed off)*:

- Only eat three Smart Ones a day (yes, I will take all of the sodium, please)
    - Stop counting calories the second I hit my goal weight
    - Exercise to the point of netting zero calories on a daily basis
    - Two hours on either the elliptical or the treadmill every day
    - Atkins/low carb/low sugar/low fat/Paleo/insert diet of the day that I knew full well I wouldn't stick to over the long run

*Yes with hindsight I can see what silly choices these were
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Atkins has worked for me in the past... but I got so bored.

Now working on a plan set by my doctor:

1200 calories
    60-90 carbs
    as much protein and healthy fats as I can manage
  • mrsmcmo
    mrsmcmo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What has been working for me up to this point isstaying within what MFP tells me to as far as daily calories. I have been trying to eat as clean as I can, and I also jog a few times a week. But I generally eat what I want (within reason - I never eat all my calories in chocolate, even though I feel like it some days) as long as it fits in.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    IIFYM of course. No need to complicate it.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    What works for me is CICO. Not trying to be glib.

I was following the MFP calorie goal and doing IIFYM to the best of my ability.

Exercise wise, I run 3x a week, other cardio (like cycling on a trainer) 30ish minutes on 3 other days, doing body weight strength exercises most days (its a start), and 10k steps a day. Ate back most calories from the cardio workouts (using HRM).

I consistently lost the "expected" amount of weight.

I was struggling with the calorie differential between running days and non running days. I felt like I was stuffing myself on running days and was struggling on non running days. This week I started TDEE minus 20ish (I rounded) and am feeling much better food wise.

I'm still losing weight.
  • jbpretty
    jbpretty Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Staying within my daily calorie limits. Excercise. Being kind to myself.

Hippocrates said “If we could give every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health.”. I love that. Taking an extreme approach towards anything you do on a daily basis is setting you up for failure.

But then you have lost a massive amount of weight. You look fantastic.

So perhaps we should be asking you that question? :smile:
    That is a great quote! Thank you very much for the compliment.

It seems I get stuck. I was stuck in the 150s for what seemed like forever, then the 140s and now the 130s. It's up and down the same 10 pounds. I have a smaller frame and at 126lbs, I felt I looked good. Then just when I hit a new low, I seem to sabotage myself. I just want to find something that I can be consistent with instead of jumping all over the place.
  • jbpretty
    jbpretty Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    But u asked what we did that works.... so this is the only thing that works in my case: Be strict, or be fat. :/ kinda sux really. Been doing this since march, have gotten used to and resigned to the fact that I don't get to eat like normal ppl do. I chew a lot of sugar free gum and drink coffee and stuff.

This. This seems to be my reality. If I keep it clean, my tummy flattens and I feel great. I don't do well with cheating or eating in moderation. I'm stuck in this all or nothing mentality.

Your answers are helping, I need to put something that works into action. I don't think this process is suppose to drive people nuts but I refuse to be in the less than five percent that keep it off. (That's the number I've heard.)