Once and for all, is junk food/dessert indulgence ok or not

Options
I would like to know if and how I'm hindering the weight loss by eating ice cream and or less than healthy fatty meats or high sodium stuff, provided I manage to keep a balance in my everyday MFP nutrition and stay under the calorie limit.
Should I feel bad about it or not?
Sorry for asking a stupid question. I just don't want to be at war with food every day.

Replies

• markrichtsspraytan
    Options
    Not. Stay within your calories. Stay close to your macros. You will see progress.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad - Enjoy them!
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I eat junk food. I lost 46 pounds in about 9 months. If you want it, eat it. Practice moderation, and you'll be fine. Food is food.
  • 15ruth99
    Options
    I LOVE ice-cream! I have found a flavor I didn't like or a brand I had not bought. I think I would have been happy working in an ice-cream place where they had me sample all the ice-cream and give them a report of my findings - ALL EXCELLENT!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I definitely think it's fine to include some indulgences in the context of an overall balanced diet with an appropriate calorie goal and macros.

But you're not going to get an answer "once and for all."
  • desidieter
    Options
    If it fits into your macros/calories, I don't see a problem. I think some people around here have a problem consuming these things within moderation, so they cut it out. But everyone is different. You have to do what works for you. If you can make those things fit and are still seeing the type of results you want, then I say go for it! :bigsmile:
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I eat a half cup, 67g of choco chip ice cream like three times a week. I make it fit into my day and not go over.
  • RachelInSpace
    RachelInSpace Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would be sustainable to never eat the foods you enjoy. From what I understand, you can eat literally whatever you want, as long as it fits into your caloric needs for the day. And, there's no reason to beat yourself up if you go over every once in a while. You can check your weekly stats and, if you're careful everyday, you might still be under for the week!

This is what I've been told and read many times on these forums. Of course, I'm not a professional (or even a fit person) so I could be wrong and, if I am, feel free to call me out!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    You're more likely to stick with your diet if you include indulgences.....Keep it liveable
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Confirmed junk food eater here. :drinker: Lost almost 28lbs so far and feeling much better about my future sustainability than the last time I lost this weight by cutting out the foods I love. And ultimately went back to. Moderation!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    IIFYM
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I just had a Klondike bar whilst reading this. and peanut butter on a pumpkin muffin. get your macros figured out for your goals eat your protein and fat then indulge in your preferred treats!
  • fitrookster
    Options
    IIFYM
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I had cake and beer yesterday, and was under my caloric goals. I've lost 10 pounds in about a month. If you fit it into your daily goals then no problem. Sometimes if I'm low in my calories I'll have 1 or 2 Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches, and enjoy the hell out of them. :drinker:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The empty bowl next to me held gelato an hour ago. Treats in moderation are a-ok
  • 15ruth99
    Options
    Oops, hit the return key - I wan't finished. Having said all that (my love for ice-cream) I must confess I feel for ice-cream the way an alcoholic feels about his/her next drink. It is addictive; I want it; and I think about it all the time. I can't have just a little and be satisfied. I tried to justified that Weight Watchers ice-cream was o.k. - it is not. They are all empty calories. You have to make up your mind if you truly want to lose the weight or if you want to continue playing the game of acting like you want to lose the weight. It has to come within you - what you are willing to set aside to be able to lose the weight you want to lose. How determine are you to lose the weight? Having said all that, today my husband and I went out to dinner for our 26th anniversary. I kept my meal light and I did have ice-cream afterwards - the first time in two months and 23 pounds lose later. I don't see myself having it again at all this year because I am very serious about getting 60 more pounds off. Good luck.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Browse through my diary for the last week or month or year.... I believe my ticker speaks for itself. Cake, ice cream, and/or cookies almost nightly.
  • shexy16
    Options
    Deprivation doesn't work for me personally
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Oops, hit the return key - I wan't finished. Having said all that (my love for ice-cream) I must confess I feel for ice-cream the way an alcoholic feels about his/her next drink. It is addictive; I want it; and I think about it all the time. I can't have just a little and be satisfied. I tried to justified that Weight Watchers ice-cream was o.k. - it is not. They are all empty calories. You have to make up your mind if you truly want to lose the weight or if you want to continue playing the game of acting like you want to lose the weight. It has to come within you - what you are willing to set aside to be able to lose the weight you want to lose. How determine are you to lose the weight? Having said all that, today my husband and I went out to dinner for our 26th anniversary. I kept my meal light and I did have ice-cream afterwards - the first time in two months and 23 pounds lose later. I don't see myself having it again at all this year because I am very serious about getting 60 more pounds off. Good luck.

Yeah, I gotta disagree with the bolded. You can have treats and lose weight. It is possible. Myself and every one of my friends on MFP have done it.

The key is moderation not deprivation. You have to make changes that will be lifetime changes, not just a "I'll do this until I reach my goal weight"…Nope. You need a plan for the rest of your life…

ETA: OP I'm gonna hold you to this being the last time any of us see this topic...:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • pattigorman
    pattigorman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    According to my Eating Disorder therapist and nutritionist it's all about equal parts mindful eating (eating when hungry stopping when satisfied and learning the difference) and working to get in all your nutrition for the day. Junk food/dessert is all a part of this.