Once and for all, is junk food/dessert indulgence ok or not

Options

Replies

• chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    DO NOT EAT SWEETS AND JUNK FOOD!! To excess. Use moderation in all your meals and snacks. Do not go over your daily goal and you will lose. My only mistakes with "goodies" (as some like to call them) has been not logging or measuring them correctly, or over indulging. You want ice cream at the end of the day, just save room for it. You want pizza with sausage, just fit it in. Make sure you have the calorie info so you can log it. I don't advise eating this type of food all day long, since your body needs so many different nutrients in order to burn calories. Eat balanced and sensible meals and you will be able to have those goodies. No sense in suffering through this.
  • skeeter2584
    skeeter2584 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly OK to have ice cream if you want it, just not enough in one sitting to make the poor tooth fairy jump off a bridge. It's likewise OK to have a burger from a fast food place now and again, provided you don't have 50 slices of bacon, 10 jars of mayo, 3 super-duper-sized orders of fries, 5 pounds of chicken wings, AND 20 slices of deep dish pizza with it! In other words, it's PORTION control that you really have to watch.
  • GoingSlightlyMad
    GoingSlightlyMad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Go eat that ice cream! If you deprive yourself you'll probably binge later. Just be sensible about the amount and enjoy every bit of it :smile:
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I ate a double fudge chocolate cake while writing this reply
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Personally if I didn't eat that stuff I would never be able to sustain my weight loss. I fall off the wagon if my diet is too restrictive.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I ate a double fudge chocolate cake while writing this reply

Jealous! I want a double fudge chocolate cake. :cry:
  • jamax092
    Options
    I eat frozen yogurt, which tastes just like ice cream. Indulge in moderation if possible haha
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    It's fine for you.

Unless it isn't.

Try it and report back.
  • Murph1908
    Murph1908 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've lost my weight eating ice cream, pizza, and cheeseburgers. I stay under my calorie goals, and it works.

That's one of the things I think works about this system. If I have 100 calories to spend, I can have a guilt-free treat. Like i said in another post, I do try to eat my calories in a more healthy way (during the week, at least), but I do not feel guilty when I top off my calories for the day with an ice cream bar.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You aren't a child. You don't have to ask if anything is OK because you don't need permission.

If it's okay with you, it's okay for you.
    I would like to know if and how I'm hindering the weight loss by eating ice cream and or less than healthy fatty meats or high sodium stuff, provided I manage to keep a balance in my everyday MFP nutrition and stay under the calorie limit.
    Should I feel bad about it or not?
    Sorry for asking a stupid question. I just don't want to be at war with food every day.
    The nutritional aspect doesn't make a bit of difference for weight loss. If you stay under your calorie limit, you will lose weight.

Eating healthy and meeting nutritional goals is for health, not weight loss.
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You're hindering weight loss when you eat too much. I'm not a fan of high-sodium/high added sugar diets as they often result in a myriad of preventable yet costly and destructive health problems. Still, it's your life. As long as an indulgence does not mean at every single meal, then you're probably fine. But, in the end, it's up to you. It's your life. It's your health.
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream, cookies and/or cake every day. Still 23+ lbs lighter.
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've lost 76 pounds eating whatever I want and controlling portions... says the woman who just ate a Reese's Pumpkin for lunch. If it fits your goals for the day, no worries. Don't deprive!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    its not the best choice nutrition wise-but if it fits into your calorie goals, then fine.
  • lavendah
    lavendah Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I love junk and fatty foods and I refuse to give up on them in entirety.But I think one should try to minimize them because:-

1. They are calorie dense,so you would not feel as full as you would have if you ate other foods and consumed the same number of calories.
    2. Empty calories.Too much of them is likely to keep you away from fulfilling your nutritional requirements if you eat limited calories

But you already know it,and eat it in moderation,so that's fine.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    When has eating the food that you love ever not been okay?! You make your own decisions on if it is okay for you or not. Keep it within your caloric budget and make it work.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm also on the band wagon of it's okay until it doesn't work for you.

For instance, I'm personally trying to stay away from easy mac & cheese (in the little bitty tub, not the box. I would totally eat the whole box.), because it doesn't help my body. It doesn't keep me full, and it's full of fake stuff. I'm not much of a clean eater, but I do realize it's not real food. Having said that, I still eat chocolate teddy grahams and/or a piece of chocolate almost every day (occasionally twice a day). That's not something I'm willing to give up. It also helps me, because I take care of my sweet tooth, and then that's it. That way I don't feel deprived and gorge on carbs later. If eating an indulgence in moderation helps you, then do it. If not, cut it out.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Pizza Wednesday for me tonight :).
  • formerfatboy1
    formerfatboy1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Sugars tend to put the weight back on me pretty damn quick so this is something I avoid or try to avoid. sodium will retain water and will keep the scale going up depending on your sodium intake. This is something I try to keep down to a minimum for that reason. Just by dropping the sugars in your diet you will start seeing some changes around the waistline and on the scale. Also carb cycling works for some and so does the low carb high protein and high (good) Fats plan. We have different body types and metabolisms as well so you might have to do some research on these body types..... Ectomorph/Endomorph/Mesomorph and go from there.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    It's important that you allow yourself a treat every now and then as long as you make sure you stay on track (: good luck to you!