Overweight and anorexic?

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    In reality, because she is not underweight, she could not be diagnosed as anorexic, so the post was correct. If she does have an ED, it would be classified as EDNOS. Don't get on a high horse. Many people on here struggle with eating disorders and know a lot more about them than you would think.

Where do you practice medicine?

south-harmon-institute-of-technology.jpg?w=500
    Duh!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    In reality, because she is not underweight, she could not be diagnosed as anorexic, so the post was correct. If she does have an ED, it would be classified as EDNOS. Don't get on a high horse. Many people on here struggle with eating disorders and know a lot more about them than you would think.
    To whom are you referring?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    DSM diagnostic criteria for anorexia are:

Refusal to maintain a body weight that is at or above the minimum normal weight for your age and height

Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though you're underweight

Denying the seriousness of having a low body weight, or having a distorted image of your appearance or shape

In women who've started having periods, the absence of a period for at least three consecutive menstrual cycles (http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/anorexia/basics/tests-diagnosis/con-20033002)

At most, you'd be more likely to qualify for EDNOS :^) I wouldn't worry about anorexia.
    solid first post: an internet non-diagnosis.
    You have NO FRIGGING idea if she has anorexia or not. All you do know is you can find anorexia in the DSM.
    THINK pls. A glance at your friends list and your profile suggests that you are pro-ana and your weight loss ticker looks like an advertisement for zombie thinspiration. Please don't share that philosophy here.

What a rude response to an educated post. If the OP does not fit the weight criterion for Anorexia Nervosa or still has her menses then she does not have the illness, bottom line. EDNOS is Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified. It means that she can fall under many other characteristics for Anorexia Nervosa, but doesn't totally meet the strict criteria. Those criteria are there for a reason; so someone can get the correct treatment and help he or she needs.
    No, a random person cannot diagnose online, but it doesn't take a multiple degrees in the field to understand there may be an unhealthy relationship with food present. There was no actual diagnosis, just a likelier scenario. "I wouldn't worry about anorexia." should not have been stated, though. I will give you that part.
    Have a look at the profile of the woman to whom I replied. Look at her avatar. Look at her weight loss ticker. Glance at her friends list.... I stand by my post 100%.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Maybe not anorexic but possibly a type of eating disorder. Anorexia has a lot to do with weight and restricting though. However, all eating disorders are more of a psychobiological issue. If you consistently restrict or binge, is afraid of food, feel guilty about eating more or eating things you deem as "bad" food, lose weight too fast, or when food gets in the way of your social life or it dampens your relationship with others, then this is something to be concern about.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Refusal to maintain a body weight that is at or above the minimum normal weight for your age and height

Denying the seriousness of having a low body weight, or having a distorted image of your appearance or shape

In women who've started having periods, the absence of a period for at least three consecutive menstrual cycles (http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/anorexia/basics/tests-diagnosis/con-20033002)

At most, you'd be more likely to qualify for EDNOS :^) I wouldn't worry about anorexia.
    You have NO FRIGGING idea if she has anorexia or not. All you do know is you can find anorexia in the DSM.
    THINK pls. A glance at your friends list and your profile suggests that you are pro-ana and your weight loss ticker looks like an advertisement for zombie thinspiration. Please don't share that philosophy here.

What a rude response to an educated post. If the OP does not fit the weight criterion for Anorexia Nervosa or still has her menses then she does not have the illness, bottom line. EDNOS is Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified. It means that she can fall under many other characteristics for Anorexia Nervosa, but doesn't totally meet the strict criteria. Those criteria are there for a reason; so someone can get the correct treatment and help he or she needs.
    No, a random person cannot diagnose online, but it doesn't take a multiple degrees in the field to understand there may be an unhealthy relationship with food present. There was no actual diagnosis, just a likelier scenario. "I wouldn't worry about anorexia." should not have been stated, though. I will give you that part.
    Have a look at the profile of the woman to whom I replied. Look at her avatar. Look at her weight loss ticker. Glance at her friends list.... I stand by my post 100%.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem

i'm not saying anorexia isn't a deadly illness, because it is.
    I'm not saying this girl isn't sick, and that she shouldn't eat more.
    I'm saying she doesn't fit the criteria for anorexia, which is what she asked for.
    I also mentioned she might have a different eating disorder, and we all know it'd be best for her to get some help in that case, right?
    I kind of resent that it's okay for people to tell this girl she does have anorexia? Without having to cite any sources, particularly when they don't seem to understand what anorexia is? But that's totally okay and not a problem and we can all get along happily diagnosing people with things they don't have? EDNOS is a potentially lethal disease and I don't see why saying she might have this, rather than anorexia, makes me such a terrible person.
    Best of luck on YOUR journey.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It would technically be EDNOS not anorexia. I was first diagnosed with EDNOS when I went to an ED doctor because I still had my period even though my BMI was below the required 17.5 (I was in low 16s) It was later changed when I was hospitalized for refeeding as Ana b/p . Most of the other people in the ED unit were of "normal" weight or a bit above (there were mostly bulimics). You definitely don't have to be underweight for an ED diagnosis
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I don't know who you're referring to here, but no. There is no weight limit in the diagnostic criteria of anorexia nervosa.

OP, I'm really glad you're looking into strength training. It will do you a world of good for not only your body, but your mind. The confidence boost alone will take you far. Good luck and be good to yourself.
    When I was diagnosed with EDNOS and later Ana b/p in 2002 there was a BMI requirement was 17.5
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You can be overweight and have an eating disorder. But it doesn't sound like you are overweight. It isn't healthy to eat so few calories and it might not be affecting you now but it will do if you keep it up long term x

I am though...my weight is still at the very tip of healthy, BMI wise

My BMI suggests that I am obese which is a far cry from the truth.. I'm not qualified to give you advice, but it seems you might be more concerned about numbers at times...yes?
  • kitkalyz
    Options
    I don't know what I have (and I probably do have some kind of disorder physical and/or psychological) and I am not proud of it. Growing up with constant ridicule does that to a person. The thing is my uncle called me bulimic like 5 months ago cause he said I looked like I was losing weight and I said I didn't see it (and I never bothered to step on the scale cause I was scared). My mom called me anorexic only after I shared to her that I found out I was only eating 700cal in most days. It may be their misconception or lack of actual medical knowledge or something, or a morbid joke... but it worried me, like seriously. The number one reason was that two years ago I was diagnosed with acid reflux. On bad days when I ate carbs like rice or bread I felt sick and bloated, my burps hurdle the food higher and higher until I had to vomit. I have had medication for this and am recovering from it. I don't wanna feel that again. Truthfully speaking the stomach pain is obnoxiously painful but the vomiting is unbearable. My doctor said it was my poor diet that did this. Even in my worse months with my acid reflux I didn't lose weight (I think) but I was really weak that one night in my job, they had to carry me back home because of the intense stomach pain. Along side that no matter how much vegetable and fruits I eat I am still constipated (have been since birth).
    1. I should probably go see a doctor who specializes in eating disorders (when I have mustered enough courage).
    2. until then I am eating as much healthy food as I can which is a daily struggle cause sometimes no matter what I put in my plan it's hard to hit that number.
    3. I've read awesome advises and personal sharings so thank you much!
    4. Yes, my mom is worried about me.
    5. One step at a time, I try. I wanted to give up, but I can never do that to myself.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I don't know what I have (and I probably do have some kind of disorder physical and/or psychological) and I am not proud of it. Growing up with constant ridicule does that to a person. The thing is my uncle called me bulimic like 5 months ago cause he said I looked like I was losing weight and I said I didn't see it (and I never bothered to step on the scale cause I was scared). My mom called me anorexic only after I shared to her that I found out I was only eating 700cal in most days. It may be their misconception or lack of actual medical knowledge or something, or a morbid joke... but it worried me, like seriously. The number one reason was that two years ago I was diagnosed with acid reflux. On bad days when I ate carbs like rice or bread I felt sick and bloated, my burps hurdle the food higher and higher until I had to vomit. I have had medication for this and am recovering from it. I don't wanna feel that again. Truthfully speaking the stomach pain is obnoxiously painful but the vomiting is unbearable. My doctor said it was my poor diet that did this. Even in my worse months with my acid reflux I didn't lose weight (I think) but I was really weak that one night in my job, they had to carry me back home because of the intense stomach pain. Along side that no matter how much vegetable and fruits I eat I am still constipated (have been since birth).
    1. I should probably go see a doctor who specializes in eating disorders (when I have mustered enough courage).
    2. until then I am eating as much healthy food as I can which is a daily struggle cause sometimes no matter what I put in my plan it's hard to hit that number.
    5. One step at a time, I try. I wanted to give up, but I can never do that to myself.

Nice plan. Could I suggest a fiber supplement to get bowels moving? I sure the dr you saw in the pass had to say this though.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options

I think it's fantastic that you are looking for answers to the questions you have about your health. Don't stress about seeing a doctor. Ideally, they are there to help you, not judge you. You may not have an eating disorder, but you definitely have health problems that a professional can help you sort through. Make that appointment and follow through. I think you'll be glad you did.

Good luck and good health to you, OP. I hope you post again in a few months with a good news update... :smile:
  • supersmellyflower
    Options

It sounds like your uncle and mom think you may have some sort of eating disorder but don't know what kind, so they just blurt out common ones. I like the fact that you are approaching this with an open mind and trying to find the possible root of the problem. That's very brave and smart of you.
  • December12014
    Options
    No, you do not have anorexia. EDNOS is a possibility, but that can only be determined by a therapist/psychologist. Anorexia has specific guidelines. Anorexics are underweight. A person can have anorexic tendencies, but unless he or she is underweight, it is classified as EDNOS.
  • December12014
    Options
    The average anorexic eats about 800 calories a day. It's an illness, and has nothing to do with size.

How do you know how much the average anorexic eats a day? I've read 200 to 400 calories a day. There are many different numbers out there...

Anorexia does have something to do with size. A lot actually. You can not be diagnosed with anorexia unless you are underweight. I'm fairly certain weight affects size.
  • December12014
    Options

THINK pls.

First of all, you are flaunting your ignorance. Do you know what the DSM 5 is? It is not some fancy words someone on the interest typed up. The DSM 5 is what health care professionals use to diagnose mental disorders. Or, to put more clearly, I will give you the definition from the DSM 5 website: "The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) is the handbook used by health care professionals in the United States and much of the world as the authoritative guide to the diagnosis of mental disorders. DSM contains descriptions, symptoms, and other criteria for diagnosing mental disorders. It provides a common language for clinicians to communicate about their patients and establishes consistent and reliable diagnoses that can be used in the research of mental disorders. It also provides a common language for researchers to study the criteria for potential future revisions and to aid in the development of medications and other interventions".

You said the person had no idea if the op has anorexia? Well, according to the DSM 5, you have to meet certain criteria to be diagnosed as anorexic. One of those criteria, is being underweight. The criteria is very specific, it's not give and take. You need to meet all criteria, not just some of it. A large majority of those who suffer from EDNOS, are those who meet some of the criteria of one disorder, but not all of the criteria. Think please.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ..why do I need to lose 10kg? to prove to myself I can...do it =)

What a great reason to put your body under the stress of under-eating.

Or, you could eat a sensible amount and focus on being healthy for now and for the rest of your life.

Yeah and the lean muscle loss that goes with that too.......

OP - don't assume you will lose just fat....takes work to minimize muscle loss.
  • December12014
    Options

I don't know who you're referring to here, but no. There is no weight limit in the diagnostic criteria of anorexia nervosa.

The criteria states the patient must be underweight to be diagnosed anorexic....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

THINK pls.

First of all, you are flaunting your ignorance. Do you know what the DSM 5 is? It is not some fancy words someone on the interest typed up. The DSM 5 is what health care professionals use to diagnose mental disorders. Or, to put more clearly, I will give you the definition from the DSM 5 website: "The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) is the handbook used by health care professionals in the United States and much of the world as the authoritative guide to the diagnosis of mental disorders. DSM contains descriptions, symptoms, and other criteria for diagnosing mental disorders. It provides a common language for clinicians to communicate about their patients and establishes consistent and reliable diagnoses that can be used in the research of mental disorders. It also provides a common language for researchers to study the criteria for potential future revisions and to aid in the development of medications and other interventions".

You said the person had no idea if the op has anorexia? Well, according to the DSM 5, you have to meet certain criteria to be diagnosed as anorexic. One of those criteria, is being underweight. The criteria is very specific, it's not give and take. You need to meet all criteria, not just some of it. A large majority of those who suffer from EDNOS, are those who meet some of the criteria of one disorder, but not all of the criteria. Think please.
    You rather missed my point. And yes, quite familiar with the DSM. I knew the 4 the best, but do know the 5 pretty well.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Anorexia is a mental illness where one of the criteria is being underweight, however, that is NOT the only criteria, and you can certainly have the illness even if you're weight has not reached that critical level yet. Also, you mention that you do not "purge". If you, in fact, are exercising to extreme to rid yourself of what you perceive to be excess calories, that IS a form of purging.
    That being said, you would probably do well to seek the advice of a nutritionist to help you achieve the goals you would like with your health and weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    So, to recap: a young woman is under eating pretty badly. Her parents are worried about her eating.

Her mom (who may or may not have English as a first language) used a word (anorexia) that likely wasn't the correct word to describe what she is worried is happening: that her beloved daughter is developing an ED. But yes, folks use imprecise language

We, the readers, don't know if she has an ED but there's some red flags. We can only go by what this young woman tells us.

On a site that is popular among young under eating girls, including lots of pro-ana girls and lots of teen girls using MFP to get and stay skinny, and to destroy their health, (who are also replying), this is concerning.

OP: please keep trying to eat more, and work toward developing a healthy relationship with food and your body.

Best of luck.