Overweight and anorexic?

Options
1235»

Replies

• kitkalyz
    Options
    So, to recap: a young woman is under eating pretty badly. Her parents are worried about her eating.

Her mom (who may or may not have English as a first language) used a word (anorexia) that likely wasn't the correct word to describe what she is worried is happening: that her beloved daughter is developing an ED. But yes, folks use imprecise language

We, the readers, don't know if she has an ED but there's some red flags. We can only go by what this young woman tells us.

On a site that is popular among young under eating girls, including lots of pro-ana girls and lots of teen girls using MFP to get and stay skinny, and to destroy their health, (who are also replying), this is concerning.

OP: please keep trying to eat more, and work toward developing a healthy relationship with food and your body.

Best of luck.

Yes I will, I am. It's hard but I am doing it. I am not trying anymore, I am doing it. Thank you =)
  • kitkalyz
    Options
    I posted the question not just because I was concerned with my health but I was actually very curious if it was possible to be overweight but have anorexia. If you re-read my original post I was actually thanking myfitnesspal for making me realize how many calories I have been under eating. I could say that MFP was my wake up call to whatever ED I have developed through the years of weight loss experience.
  • nimblem
    Options
    Yall, are so silly....

Educate yourself on eating disorders before posting things as fact. Most of you sound ignorant in your comments, especially with starvation /survival mode.
  • nimblem
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    nimblem wrote: »
    Yall, are so silly....

Educate yourself on eating disorders before posting things as fact. Most of you sound ignorant in your comments, especially with starvation /survival mode.

You know what else is silly?
    Resurrecting a thread that's almost 6 months old to call other members ignorant.
    This must be awkward for you.

Not really. The thread popped up on another site.

Why would it be awkward?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    DSM diagnostic criteria for anorexia are:

Refusal to maintain a body weight that is at or above the minimum normal weight for your age and height

Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though you're underweight

Denying the seriousness of having a low body weight, or having a distorted image of your appearance or shape

In women who've started having periods, the absence of a period for at least three consecutive menstrual cycles (http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/anorexia/basics/tests-diagnosis/con-20033002)

At most, you'd be more likely to qualify for EDNOS :^) I wouldn't worry about anorexia.
    solid first post: an internet non-diagnosis.
    You have NO FRIGGING idea if she has anorexia or not. All you do know is you can find anorexia in the DSM.
    THINK pls.

First of all, you are flaunting your ignorance. Do you know what the DSM 5 is? It is not some fancy words someone on the interest typed up. The DSM 5 is what health care professionals use to diagnose mental disorders. Or, to put more clearly, I will give you the definition from the DSM 5 website: "The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) is the handbook used by health care professionals in the United States and much of the world as the authoritative guide to the diagnosis of mental disorders. DSM contains descriptions, symptoms, and other criteria for diagnosing mental disorders. It provides a common language for clinicians to communicate about their patients and establishes consistent and reliable diagnoses that can be used in the research of mental disorders. It also provides a common language for researchers to study the criteria for potential future revisions and to aid in the development of medications and other interventions".

You said the person had no idea if the op has anorexia? Well, according to the DSM 5, you have to meet certain criteria to be diagnosed as anorexic. One of those criteria, is being underweight. The criteria is very specific, it's not give and take. You need to meet all criteria, not just some of it. A large majority of those who suffer from EDNOS, are those who meet some of the criteria of one disorder, but not all of the criteria. Think please.

No matter which version of the DSM you use ... one cannot diagnose (or rule out)from the information in this thread. Perhaps you should follow the advice you give in the final two words of this post.

• kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    kitkalyz wrote: »
    I posted the question not just because I was concerned with my health but I was actually very curious if it was possible to be overweight but have anorexia. If you re-read my original post I was actually thanking myfitnesspal for making me realize how many calories I have been under eating. I could say that MFP was my wake up call to whatever ED I have developed through the years of weight loss experience.

I'm glad myfitnesspal worked as a wake-up call for you. It did the same to me when I started using it again recently after thinking I'd started eating normal amounts of food again after EDNOS which I never finished treatment for (and is still mentally present).

Just because you're not severely underweight, does not mean you can't have an ED. Just because you'll still sometimes eat something 'unhealthy', does not mean you can't have an ED. They come is so many forms.

I was diagnosed with an EDNOS with signs of both anorexia and bulimia and I have made the step just yesterday to go see a doctor to get a new referral for treatment. It's tough. It's a huge step which requires a lot of courage, but I hope you'll be able to push yourself to do it soon, because it will in the end make life so much better.

Good luck!