Could my body be...confused??

Options
13»

Replies

• carrie_lou
    Options
    I need to post like this and get advice. But like the OP (i think that what you tech people call it) I find things too complicated and I give up. But I've noticed that if I eat too close to the calorie limit I gain and if I keep a deficit I lose. But I have a friend that keeps telling me I need to eat more and it tells my mind "it's ok to eat more" so I end up doing it and I find that I gain. But the resting calories and that TDEE or whatever really confuses me and I always get different numbers everywhere I go. I couldn't even get my scales to give me accurate numbers for the longest time and was getting way out wacked numbers and thought I had it under control by buying a scale just like the one at work because it always gave me the same numbers but now I'm finding it is always giving me the same wrong numbers. So yes like the "OP" and all of us in this MFP and fight to fit in the "small" nice looking world....it's all a numbers game and I am starting to get discouraged too. It seems easier just to eat what I want and be happy
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I never told her not to have any sodium but look at her food diary. It is way over and I am not the only one that mentioned it.
  • jenmom2myboys
    Options
    Over consumption of sodium can mask fat loss, but it won't stop it. You may not see results as quickly if you're carrying a lot of extra water weight, but if you're in a deficit, you'll still lose. Being it's only been a couple of weeks, it COULD be your sodium intake, but you'd just have to give it more time.

Add in some exercise. If you choose to eat back exercise calories, I would suggest only doing half of what MFP tells you you've burned.

Yes! Thank you :) Being in a vegetarian household for the most part, sodium is soooooo high because we have to make up for what we can't eat with what we can. And truthfully we really don't eat THAT many processed foods. Most things are fresh, with a few things that aren't. I'm normally pretty good about that. So really lowering it tons would be quite the task. I have heard that MFP is a bit off base with it's accuracy as far as exercises goes, so if I do walk or do anything I really underestimate or don't even consider the calories as burned because I'm not sure. Is there more of an accurate website that has calorie estimates for different exercises does anyone know??

i am a vegetarian and my sodium intake is not high. one has nothing to do with the other.
  • McGristy
    McGristy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I need to post like this and get advice. But like the OP (i think that what you tech people call it) I find things too complicated and I give up. But I've noticed that if I eat too close to the calorie limit I gain and if I keep a deficit I lose. But I have a friend that keeps telling me I need to eat more and it tells my mind "it's ok to eat more" so I end up doing it and I find that I gain. But the resting calories and that TDEE or whatever really confuses me and I always get different numbers everywhere I go. I couldn't even get my scales to give me accurate numbers for the longest time and was getting way out wacked numbers and thought I had it under control by buying a scale just like the one at work because it always gave me the same numbers but now I'm finding it is always giving me the same wrong numbers. So yes like the "OP" and all of us in this MFP and fight to fit in the "small" nice looking world....it's all a numbers game and I am starting to get discouraged too. It seems easier just to eat what I want and be happy

Exactly this! Only I have to stop doing that before I edge my way up to 500 lbs. :/ There has to be an end. And I remember how good in shape feels, and how much energy I had, and I want that bad!
  • McGristy
    McGristy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I never told her not to have any sodium but look at her food diary. It is way over and I am not the only one that mentioned it.

I don't think anyone was singling you out at any point. I think it's very easy for sodium to climb up there. My diet is pretty good. I do eat a mix of foods, both fresh and processed, but my processed foods in the long run are pretty minimal. We do eat a lot of stir frys and other things which jack up the sodium levels huge. I think my point is that sometimes it's easier to eat more processed things after long work days with little people in the house. As a family we are really good about eating a wide variety of fresh fruit and veggies with meals.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you can eat so little and not feel hungry. I count my exercise so I can eat more calories - and I eat lots of protein so I don't feel as hungry.

I saw one of your breakfasts was an egg and a slice of turkey... I'd have eaten my arm off in an hour after a meal like that.

Anyway, that's just me - I'm on the low-carb, few processed foods, and no refined sugars thing (end of first week today). I love the fact that I'm eating lots of veggies and protein - and that I can eat and feel full - and that my food choices are healthy ones. My cravings are lessening now - the occasional bout of wanting a cupcake after seeing a commercial on tv - that was mitigated with yogurt. (and now, the yogurt is starting to taste too sweet - so I may be one step closer to getting all of the junk out of my system.

But, I will say that even before turning to low carb - I ate a lot more than 1400 calories. You can lose eating more food and exercising. For me, I walk 4 times a day (2 -15 min. 2 - 10 minutes) - it all adds up. And, then I go to the gym too for water aerobics, elliptical or even weights (just starting to get into). If exercising means I can eat 400 or 500 calories more - I'm all for it.

OP, If you want to starve by all means, that's your choice, and you can lose slowly that way. Or you could add the exercise, eat more and feel a lot more motivated to keep the long term process of health/fitness as a life term commitment.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!
  • carrie_lou
    Options
    and my frustration continues as my weight is still going up.....Anyone care to take a look? Although I don't have sodium as a factor in my diary. I looked and didn't want to give up the other factors....suggestions?
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Are you anti - vegetable? I just looked back a week on your food diary and all I see are frozen dinners and cereal and meat sandwiches.

I'm thinking that the sodium in this type of eating must be crazy high. You could be holding onto a lot of water because of that too.

Addition: I know my food log is not quite perfect, yet - but it's open if you want to look at it. Mind you - I eat more than double your calories, I workout an hour and half or more every day, and I lose (slowly) - but I still lose.
  • jenmom2myboys
    Options
    and my frustration continues as my weight is still going up.....Anyone care to take a look? Although I don't have sodium as a factor in my diary. I looked and didn't want to give up the other factors....suggestions?

sodium is very high in those frozen dinners. Why are you set at 1100 calories a day?
  • missemmibelle
    missemmibelle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    There's sodium in everything...

that is prepackaged. That's very true. Fast food too. I can't eat at Chipotle without going over my sodium for the day :P

With three kids and being a full time student, I don't have a lot of time to cook - so I use my pressure cooker, slow cooker and have leftovers packaged in a way that's easy to grab and heat. When you cook, you control sodium pretty easily. MFP makes it only slightly frustrating to enter your own recipes for future logging.

I started at 200 and it took dropping to 1240cal/day to get any real progress. I earn more with exercise. Pushing a stroller 2 miles around the neighborhood is pretty good exercise! I did stall at 190, but went up to maintenance (about 1500) for 2 weeks and I'm back on track and losing again.

Good luck.