What is running protocol for dogs?

Options

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    My mother in law lives in the country where people are more likely to let their dogs run loose. She walks every day and gets "greeted" by some aggressive dogs whose owners are not very cooperative. So ... she carries wasp spray that has one of those adapters that can shoot over 20 feet. Typically, one squirt has the dogs running because that stuff burns more than the pepper/dog sprays. Plus, it gets up their nose and the dogs HATE it.

She also has a piece of natural rope with a huge knot tied on the end. It is secured to her waist. If for some reason the spray doesn't work, she whips that rope out with that hard, huge knot slamming into the dog. They don't like it, especially if she gets around their head. Luckily, she has only had to use the rope twice in the five years she has lived in her country home.

Does this work with nylon rope too?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Dogs hate runners. I dislike dogs. The people a block over from me have this rabid little bichon who has chased me multiple times while I was running. They rarely leash it. This is in the same neighborhood where I walk with my 3 year old and 1 year old. It hasn't bitten me, but it terrified my one year old jumping up on him.

I make an effort not to go to that part of the neighborhood anymore because if that dog attacked my child, it would die. I would stomp it's stupid head into the ground and be damned who's fault it is that it's running loose. When by myself I just freeze and give the dog time to calm down and its owner to retrieve it.

I'll always hate bichons.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I love dogs, am not afraid of them, but I remember one time I was walking home from the subway station and it was late. I came across a smallish bull terrier (and this has nothing to do with the breed) but she was on the street, had a collar, was clean but it looked like she gotten out of her house.

As usual I tried to say hi and she started to bark at me. I was talking to her and she was getting aggressive. I thought "screw her" and continued walking. As I was passing, I saw her coming at me, I immediately turned to her and looked at her, pointed my finger and said "NO!" She paused and continued barking. Every time I tried to walk away, she made like she was going to go for my legs and I kept her at bay by facing her, telling her "NO!" repeatedly and finally I said "Bad dog!" and she really paused. I walked away from her backwards until I was about 50 feet away and then I turned around and walked home. She was still barking but she did not pursue.

Look, I understand dog phobia is something hard to deal with and no one can tell you not to be afraid. The only thing is to remember that with any animal, it's important to keep them in your line of sight, don't turn away from them until it's safe, and most importantly, try to keep the panic under control since they smell that and don't run because they will pursue.

If you see one coming and you are far enough away, cross the road. If he is right there, stop, walk past him a good distance and then continue jogging. Most dogs are really good. But there are a few bad apples and that can come from bad breeding, bad masters or just bad luck.
  • t_suski
    t_suski Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bear/dog mace is probably your most effective answer here. Kicking or attacking a dog should be a last resort - ACTUAL self defense, not just being violent toward an animal. Mace will keep the animal a lot farther away, and if the owner gets mad, you can mace them too. Some people have also used bitter apple spray and binaca-type breath spray in the nose but I think that would work best on a "nice" dog, which is not your problem.
    A word about pepper spray - it does expire, and gets less effective.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    and if the owner gets mad, you can mace them too.

I lol'd at this!!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wanted to cry. Maybe I'm a baby but I DON'T like dogs. Is there a protocol for encountering a stray dog while you're running? What do you do?

Lots of the suggestions upthread are going to exacerbate a fearful dog responding negatively to your threat, generally I'll talk to them as I'm passing by. They don't understand that you're not a threat to them, by talking to them then you reduce their anxiety.

Reaching down to them over their heads is going to induce anxiety as they see you threatening them, so if you have to try to grab a collar go in below the jaw towards the chest and get hold of the collar at the front of the throat.

When they see you as a threat to either themselves or to their pack leader (human) they'll defend, initially by barking to scare you away.

Sometimes of course they're being friendly, they don't understand that you're scared by their attempts to be friendly. In that instance you do need to be quite verbally forceful with them; No, Stop, Down with open handed gestures directing them to stay low.

I talk to them too. I don't know why but I think it's like I'm acknowledging its presence so he doesn't have to investigate.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is not to run. The dog came at you again because you started running. Stand still until the owner can control the dog (assuming the owner is around and the dog is not biting you). There's nothing wrong with carrying mace either. Owners should control their dogs and you shouldn't be afraid to run down the street.

I own dogs, they are like my children, but it is my responsability to keep them from hurting other people. If I fail, I would not blame a single person for macing one of my dogs if they charged at them.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    First, if I see a dog loose on my run, I stop running. Running = Prey to a dog.

Second, since I run with my dog, who is fairly dog friendly, but would fight if another dog attacked her (she's a pit bull), I immediately have her sit/stay.

Next, if the owner is around, I'll ask them to secure their dog. If the owner isn't around, I will say in a loud tone, "Go Home Dog! Get out of here! Go home!"

At that point, if the dog aggressively approaches me and my dog, I start walking briskly to get us out of there.

Luckily, that's as much as I've ever needed to do. I do always have my cell phone when running with my dog, so I can take pix to prove whose dog is on leash (mine) and whose is off leash, because as the owner of a pit bull, I am very aware that any dog fight will be blamed on my "vicious pit bull" regardless of the circumstances.

In your situation, when the lady said, "Oh, he won't hurt you," I would have said loudly and assertively, "I don't like dogs. Please get control of him so I can pass." But, to re-emphasize, don't keep running. Running = Prey.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Unless it looks like it's going to kill you which is unlikely. Stop and say hello. 99% of dogs just want to play and say hello if you run they see you as something to chase. I come across dogs on most runs just because of where i run. I stop for a few seconds and say HI to them and they're fine. IMO half the problem is people running away from them they just think you're playing. I know if you don't like dogs it's harder but most dogs are fine.

All these people who are advocating violence towards dogs as far as I'm concerned are pretty low human beings and if you do this there is a good chance of getting yourself prosecuted for animal cruelty. If you turned around and kicked one of my dogs I'd do the same to you. There are some nasty people in this thread
    Nobody is advocating unprovoked violence towards dogs. Protecting oneself from a dog whose owner does not have it under control is what is being advocated here. If I protect myself from a dog charging at me (regardless of its intentions, I really don't care), I would LOVE to see an animal cruelty charge as opposed to the dog owner getting a severe warning/ fine for the dog not being on a leash and under control in the first place.

In fact there was a case of this not long ago where I live where a 72 year-man was out walking with his pug on the beach. They were attacked by another dog and the man stabbed and KILLED the attacking dog. The man did not face any charges.

I like dogs, I think they are wonderful and can be great family companions for responsible owners.
  • evsplava
    evsplava Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Whether you're a dog lover or not loose dogs and irresponsible owners are an issue. I have had to tuck my dog behind my leg and kick the loose dog to keep both safe. I've carried objects to keep dogs from biting me. I will put my stainless steel water bottle to keep their sharp teeth from biting me. Dog whistles can be used so can pepper spray and a flashlight. A dog will also chase anything running.
  • chelciebrown07
    chelciebrown07 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm more worried about bears. I honestly usually keep running when I come across dogs while on trails because most of them are just curious and want to say hello, if I seem to ignore them they shrug it off and run away. If they start to get aggressive though it's time to stop immediately and shout at them.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    In the county where I live, I needed the dates/times and believe it or not, a photograph of the aggressive dog. Once I had the photo, the Animal Control Officer was able to do something about charging the owners. So, maybe run w/ a phone capable of taking photos. Secondly, I would not attempt to hit the dog or run away as you may encourage the dog to attack you. As one other poster advised, stand still and tuck your arms in, etc.

I also agree with the Pepper spray suggestion, it allows you the opportunity to defend yourself from a short distance. Just be aware, that also runs the risk of making the dog angrier.

Just as another hint based on what I encountered, be aware of where the property lines are. If the dog bites you on their property, the owners homeowners insurance can handle any injuries (at least in WV), if it happens in a public right of way, Animal Control has certain obligations to fulfill. If it happens on your property, depending on the state, you can take some actions into your own hands. Again, this is all based on where I live, so the rules will probably be different elsewhere.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

I'm out running. I don't want to stop and play with your dog, nor should I have to.

That was kinda my thinking here too.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you, but I wanted to just throw another, I know how you feel out there.

I used to live adjacent to a dog friendly apartment complex and a area free of building with natural tree growth. Some woman was walking her pit-bull (no leash) up in the nature area as my daughter and I were walking up the hill to get home. My daughter ran a little ahead of me so she could be done with the steep incline sooner and the pit took off from it's owner, disregarding all of it's owner's commands and went straight for my kid. I screamed at my daughter to freeze and put myself between the dog and my child. The dog didn't attack her, but that was the scariest moment of my life to date. I didn't know what to do then and I still don't.

Innocent people pay the price for the choices of irresponsible people more frequently than the irresponsible seem to. Other than becoming a hermit, I don't know that there is any way of avoiding it.
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Get pepper spray from a bike store. You can carry it in your hand while you run. If a dog runs towards you, yell NO! if they continue to run at you spray them in the face. The spray will not maim them, it sprays about 25 feet. Works on humans as well. It is not very expensive and VERY worth the few bucks to have peace of mind.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    mace.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I encounter dogs a lot where I live and cycle in the countryside. Lots of them are loose in their yards. My usual tactic is to make friends. The dog comes out charging and barking and growling and I just slow down, or stop, and say things like "Hey boy! How are ya! Get on home now!"

On a downhill, I just speed by. Dogs can run 20-30mph, so you gotta know when, and when not to do this.

Most of the dogs get used to you and most on my local streets even kind of like me or ignore me now. 95% of dogs are just posturing. It is also instinctive for them to chase a running or cycling person...it triggers their "the prey is trying to get away" response.

But once they get to know you, I have found that some do a half-hearted woof or yap (depending on dog type and size) from their porch without rushing to the roadside. Except for one, this yellow lab that I swear is going to attack me the next time I see him, but the owners have keep him tied or inside for months since I've last had him chase me. That last time I had to use my bike as a shield by dismounting and holding the frame and make my way up the street fending it off which really pissed me off. A bike is actually a pretty good shield BTW. Don't know if the owners saw that from inside their house or not.

Anyway, I now carry Halt! brand dog spray, which is a weak kind of pepper spray formulated especially for dogs. Mail carriers use this stuff. I haven't had to use it yet fortunately. From what I have read, spray usually works, but sometimes doesn't.

Honestly, I wish it was legal to carry a collapsible steel baton in my area, because if the dog spray doesn't work, it would be nice to have a real weapon as a last resort instead of just kicking and punching if a dog bites and doesn't let go, like so many pit bulls are famous for.
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I agree that most dogs will learn to recognize you and ignore you. Friendly dogs can be as frustrating as aggressive dogs, though.
    A dog on one of my old regular routes would playfully follow me for miles until her owner would apologetically come retrieve her in his truck. Even then she'd still rather follow me than obey him & go home. I rarely run that route now.
    I actually have to stop running & wait for another lady to come scoop up her 3 tiny lap dogs. If I try to keep running they swarm my feet & trip me, or I accidentally kick them.
    I'm lucky these dogs aren't dangerous, obviously their owners are not in control of them.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wanted to cry. Maybe I'm a baby but I DON'T like dogs. Is there a protocol for encountering a stray dog while you're running? What do you do?

Lots of the suggestions upthread are going to exacerbate a fearful dog responding negatively to your threat, generally I'll talk to them as I'm passing by. They don't understand that you're not a threat to them, by talking to them then you reduce their anxiety.

Reaching down to them over their heads is going to induce anxiety as they see you threatening them, so if you have to try to grab a collar go in below the jaw towards the chest and get hold of the collar at the front of the throat.

When they see you as a threat to either themselves or to their pack leader (human) they'll defend, initially by barking to scare you away.

Sometimes of course they're being friendly, they don't understand that you're scared by their attempts to be friendly. In that instance you do need to be quite verbally forceful with them; No, Stop, Down with open handed gestures directing them to stay low.

Here are some other tips that I found from a article quoting a veterinarian:

1) Remain calm and still. Don't run. This is a race you will not win. If you are alone, back away slowly. Do not turn your back.
    2) If you are on the ground, curl into a fetal position, cover your head with your arms, and keep your fingers curled in a fist.
    3) Avoid eye contact. Remember, staring an aggressive dog in the eyes is a challenge.
    4) Do not smile at the dog
    5) Use a soft, soothing tone of voice. Loud, angry-sounding words and screaming only spur on the dog.
    6) If he bites you, DO NOT PULL AWAY. This only spurs the dog on. Remain calm. Try to put something between you and the dog like your purse, jacket, bicycle, backpack, etc. Don't hit the dog. Again, just makes the situation worse.

I would especially point out #5. According to Patricia McConnell, dogs interpret our loud noises as akin to barking--it is perceived as either aggression, or weakness/anxiety--i.e. someone who has lost control and is not a leader.

Note: I am not arguing against other more forceful measures that have been mentioned. Personally, I would rather those not be employed as a first response, but......if the situation is threatening enough, you have to do what you think is necessary.

Nor am I excusing irresponsible dog owners in any way.

The way I look at it, it is not the responsibility of the other person to know that my dog "is friendly". First of all, no one knows how their dog will respond in all cases. Secondly, if a dog lunges at someone walking or running by, they have no idea whether that is a friendly move or not. And even if it is "friendly", they should not have to worry, or brace themselves, or be uncertain what might happen.

Especially with runners and cyclists who are moving faster and are at greater risk of falling, I make sure my control of my dog and our positioning is clear well in advance--we don't do it at the last minute. We either move way off to the side, or I block him, or he is on a very short leash so that it is impossible for him to move into the path of the runner.

It's just common sense and common courtesy. It really shouldn't be that hard to figure out.