What is running protocol for dogs?

Options

Replies

• afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options

A male jogger ran by and our puppy started to chase him. I called him and started after him, meanwhile the jogger turn around and took a kung fu kick right to my dogs head....of course he went yelping in pain. I was beyond mad..shock. My wife knows me and knows I rarely ever get mad..unless you touch my dog...so she immediately got between us and told the guy, you better run for your life because my husband is about to kick your *kitten*.

I wouldn't have warned him. :explode:
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Can I kick your child when it runs up to my leashed dog and pokes it in the eye?

Dog owners need to be responsible and keep their dogs on leashes, but parents need to teach their children to keep their hands to themselves.

I have 2 young children and they would NEVER approach an unfamiliar dog (or even ask to). This topic really had nothing to do with responsible vs. irresponsible dog owners... I was asking what to do if approached by a dog.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Parents of young children need a good kick once in a while, I agree
    I've always told my child to ask the owner before touching a dog, not just to go ahead and pet it. I don't want him to get bitten if the dog doesn't like kids or doesn't like to be touched by strangers.
    Please don't kick my child :laugh:
    :drinker: I had kids ask to pet my dog a few times....every time, I said "no" and then thanked the parent for teaching them to ask...so even though I'm currently between dogs, I have to say "thank you" to you for being smart enough to teach yours that caution! Unfortunately, there's a lot of pet owners who aren't mindful either....it goes both ways for sure!
  • kefryar
    kefryar Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Parents of young children need a good kick once in a while, I agree
    I've always told my child to ask the owner before touching a dog, not just to go ahead and pet it. I don't want him to get bitten if the dog doesn't like kids or doesn't like to be touched by strangers.
    Please don't kick my child :laugh:

Yes, responsibility is a 2 way street and most parents are great about teaching their kids doggie safety. If I haven't kicked one after nannying and teaching a class of two year olds, I never will. :wink: Seriously though I love kids and would never kick one.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    very tricky situation when dog is in the yard and people get startled. dog is in the property

Nothing tricky about that. If they are in their yard they are in the right. If they leave the yard then there is an issue.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    sorry OP for getting off topic!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    very tricky situation when dog is in the yard and people get startled. dog is in the property

Nothing tricky about that. If they are in their yard they are in the right. If they leave the yard then there is an issue.
    Not quite. If a dog is running at me, barking, while I am on the sidewalk, how am I supposed to know if it's going to stop at the edge of the property or jump right up on me?
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog so I don't have that problem...aside from other dogs barking like mad when running by. I have had to change routes a few time because of it! Being stern and I find if you stop it usually helps, in some cases I would say the running itself is what is exciting the dog into chasing you.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Dogs can be really scary. Animals are animals. They are unpredictable. Big dogs are strong and have big teeth, and like to chase things that run away.

I am glad that you posted this, because there is a lot of good advice that you got in response.

You can never underestimate them. I was reminded of this not that long ago when my aunt's dog - a generally sweet, lovable, lab-pit mix who I used to watch when they went out of town and who has never attacked a human - reacted badly to a neighbor's dog at a neighborhood party. She peeled back her lips, exposing her razor sharp teeth, and growled menacingly. And I just about peed my pants. Thank God it was not directed at me. That being said, I will never look at that dog the same way again, and I am leery about her being near my children.
  • kefryar
    kefryar Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Can I kick your child when it runs up to my leashed dog and pokes it in the eye?

Dog owners need to be responsible and keep their dogs on leashes, but parents need to teach their children to keep their hands to themselves.

I have 2 young children and they would NEVER approach an unfamiliar dog (or even ask to). This topic really had nothing to do with responsible vs. irresponsible dog owners... I was asking what to do if approached by a dog.

I know, it wasn't really a response to you, just all the kick a dog people.
    The best thing to do when a dog approaches you is stay calm and tell it no. If that doesn't work I agree with carrying pepper spray, because if the dog is big enough to be scared of in the first place, kicking them won't do any good.
    I think everyone has said this already so I really have nothing to add.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I had something like this happen to me once, but kind of on the other side of it.

My wife, PG at the time and I where walking our new puppy in the park one day. Choc lab, he was about 3 months old and very playful. The park didnt require that dogs to be on leads.

A male jogger ran by and our puppy started to chase him. I called him and started after him, meanwhile the jogger turn around and took a kung fu kick right to my dogs head....of course he went yelping in pain. I was beyond mad..shock. My wife knows me and knows I rarely ever get mad..unless you touch my dog...so she immediately got between us and told the guy, you better run for your life because my husband is about to kick your *kitten*. He did.

I went over to check on my dog and he was ok, but I was really mad, took me hrs to cool down.

Not saying we were in the right...but definately excessive force. Just another side to a story for what it's worth.

That is why, when I'm running (with my dog or without), I always stop when I see a loose dog. When you keep running, you make it harder for the dog owner to get control of their dog. If you just stop, and assertively instruct the owner to get their dog, the problem is usually solved.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    i'm scared of big dogs n i wish people would realize not everyone likes them... n some like me are scared of them. I was bitten too. Please keep your dogs leased ..... because there's people in this world that's scared of them no matter if you say they don't bite.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I like dogs. I have one. But when I'm running and one starts chasing me and barking it really scares me. Dog attacks can land you in the hospital and end your running days. Its not at all like a little kid poking your dog in the eye.

We have one in our neighborhood that does this ALL the time. Owners let it out no leash ALL the time. They've witnessed it chasing me and barking probably a dozen times. I've told them it bothers me and I've asked them to keep him in the yard. Now I carry an spray. I really hate having to run with something in my hand the whole time just because they don't keep their dog in their yard. And frankly I don't want to spray their dog. Its not his fault they don't control him.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It's not my responsibility to "become comfortable around dogs". It's an ANIMAL. It's the owner's responsibility to ensure their dog is properly trained and not terrifying neighbors who are out minding their own business.

It's a child, it's the parents responsibility to make sure it doesn't attack others...

Doesn't have quite the same resonance does it?
    Sorry, I'm not understanding what you're saying. Clarify?

I've changed one key word in your statement. Would you agree in that case that an appropriate and proportionate response would be similar. A dog is reacting to fear, but in most cases the risk of harm from a dog is about the same as the risk of harm from a child, unless one escalates the fear in the dog.

I'd also note that should an untrained child run towards a dog, with the best of intentions, and generate a fear related defence, the dog will be destroyed. Not the parent that failed to protect the child. Neither of us would argue that the child could be considered responsible for the death of that dog. That said, noting the discussion immediately above, I have seen children intentionally maltreat dogs with no intervention from their parents.

ETA: Clearly a very different situation with trained attack or pursuit dogs, in which case there are a couple of techniques that someone trained to deal with them could use to disable the dog appropriately.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

Not quite. If a dog is running at me, barking, while I am on the sidewalk, how am I supposed to know if it's going to stop at the edge of the property or jump right up on me?

Not sure how you will know but I know I have had this discussion with my city department and they told me that unless she leaves the yard there isn't a problem. And mine never barks and anyone....she runs fast to the edge of the yard then stands to watch them go by. She wags her tail with her tongue sticking out.

I really think people overreact a lot of the time. Figure out the situation before you go off kicking or spraying someones dog. I see runners go to the other side of the street, I have seen them stop and try to pet her, I have seen them tell her to back off even though she is in her yard. She IS in the right standing in her yard.
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement with both topics that seem to be here, keep both dogs and children under control. I was walking my dog this morning when luckily I seen an unattended dog ahead of us I immediately turned and walked the other way to avoid confrontation. The worst is sitting on my porch with my dog on leash as people walk by with their unleashed dog who invariably will try to approach my dog and that is a bad idea.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

THAT TOO! My sister and I spent soooo many long months and years teaching my nephew about dog-etiquette and how although he wants to hug them and kiss them all, he needs to ask permission and not just run up to them. We all love and respect dogs in this family.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

It's rather inevitable when you're going to get people advocating animal cruelty, rather than understanding why the animal is likely to be behaving the way it is behaving, and responding appropriately.
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options

I had something like this happen to me once, but kind of on the other side of it.

My wife, PG at the time and I where walking our new puppy in the park one day. Choc lab, he was about 3 months old and very playful. The park didnt require that dogs to be on leads.

A male jogger ran by and our puppy started to chase him. I called him and started after him, meanwhile the jogger turn around and took a kung fu kick right to my dogs head....of course he went yelping in pain. I was beyond mad..shock. My wife knows me and knows I rarely ever get mad..unless you touch my dog...so she immediately got between us and told the guy, you better run for your life because my husband is about to kick your *kitten*. He did.

I went over to check on my dog and he was ok, but I was really mad, took me hrs to cool down.

Not saying we were in the right...but definately excessive force. Just another side to a story for what it's worth.

If your dog was leashed he wouldn't have gotten the boot. I don't expect anyone else to have to deal with my dog, which is why he's on a leash whenever he's outside.

I run with pepper spray and a CPL fwiw. Never had to use either but better safe than sorry.
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Usually a loud "Go lay down!" will get most dogs to go away.