Macros on weight-lifting vs. rest days

Options
Hi! I'm 5'8" or 5'9", 124 pounds, trying to gain a bit of weight, mostly muscle. I've been lifting weights 3 times a week for the last year or two.

I know getting enough protein and carbs on weight-lifting days is important but that nutrition during rest days is important, too. My macros are set at 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat and I meet that pretty much every day, other than sometimes going over on carbs on lifting days.

My question is this: Should my macros be slightly different on lifting days versus rest days? What do y'all do? :)

Replies

• Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too!
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Currently I'm trying the TDEE method and eat the same ratio of carbs, protein and fat everyday.

I haven't found an issue with that yet personally. I lift (crossfit) twice a week and lift on my own once a week at least

In for other insights.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware of any evidence that this is going to be vastly superior however you could certainly make an argument for it. I can only tell you that of the people in the industry (people who I believe know what the heck they are talking about) that I've asked this question to, the answers have been mixed, with some of them suggesting that there could be marginal benefits to moving additional cals/nutrients around the training bout and taking them from rest days in an attempt to improve nutrient partitioning.

I would speculate that if this does matter, the effects aren't going to be substantial. Pure speculation on my part.

Finally, I wouldn't even consider this unless it ALSO aligned with personal preference and performance needs, so in other words if you had better recovery by NOT shorting your calories on rest days and this improved performance then you should stick to that.

Keep in mind, the above is really opinion.

Curious what other people have to say as this is a topic I've been thinking about lately.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat more on my lifting days (although that's 5 days a week). No science to tell me that it helps, but it logically makes sense in my head to add more on those days. Does it do anything? I have no idea. Maybe it's just an excuse to eat ice cream...
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I also wonder if the context changes the prescription somewhat? Bulking vs. Maintenance vs Cutting? I could certainly see it being more useful to drop calories on resting days when cutting. Since the OP is trying to gain, maybe not as useful?

In for thoughts...
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat more on my lifting days (although that's 5 days a week). No science to tell me that it helps, but it logically makes sense in my head to add more on those days. Does it do anything? I have no idea. Maybe it's just an excuse to eat ice cream...

My thought exactly! lol
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I also wonder if the context changes the prescription somewhat? Bulking vs. Maintenance vs Cutting? I could certainly see it being more useful to drop calories on resting days when cutting. Since the OP is trying to gain, maybe not as useful?

In for thoughts...

I've heard claims of this being beneficial regardless of state of energy balance. Doesn't mean it's true but the thought would be that if you're recomping this would attempt to leverage any theoretical benefit to partitioning to give you some chance of actually recomping and not wheel-spinning. Same logic for eating in a surplus -- minimize fat gain on the rest days.

Once again, I'm not clear on whether any of this is true. I would suspect the differences would be small.

And to reiterate, performance/preference should still remain at the forefront.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

In for thoughts...

I've heard claims of this being beneficial regardless of state of energy balance. Doesn't mean it's true but the thought would be that if you're recomping this would attempt to leverage any theoretical benefit to partitioning to give you some chance of actually recomping and not wheel-spinning. Same logic for eating in a surplus -- minimize fat gain on the rest days.

Once again, I'm not clear on whether any of this is true. I would suspect the differences would be small.

And to reiterate, performance/preference should still remain at the forefront.

Let me see how I do come February.....
    Cause I am currently trying to put on weight, while keeping BF low....may be futile in the end.
    But I am trying.

Currently 5 days a week, I do 3500 calories, High carbs, high protein, low fat
    2 days a week I do 2000 - 2300 calories, Higher fat, high protein, low carbs (~50 gr, but <100 gr)...and I do LISS along with ab work on these days.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'8" or 5'9", 124 pounds, trying to gain a bit of weight, mostly muscle. I've been lifting weights 3 times a week for the last year or two.

I know getting enough protein and carbs on weight-lifting days is important but that nutrition during rest days is important, too. My macros are set at 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat and I meet that pretty much every day, other than sometimes going over on carbs on lifting days.

My question is this: Should my macros be slightly different on lifting days versus rest days? What do y'all do? :)

Depends on what you feel comfortable doing.....
    If you are hitting your goals, then why change?

You would only alter carb/fat macros between the rest and workout days....protein should remain the same.

So you would be basically carb cycling
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I like to carb cycle. Have high carbs/low fat on lifting days, and high fat/low carbs on off days. The biggest benefit is being able to have a wide variety of foods.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Well that's why you should eat those calories burned on exercise back... That would change your macro totals. I always eat my exercise calories back, It hasn't hindered my weight loss at all.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options

I often do, although sometimes my appetite decreases after lifting and I don't end up eating more.

I like to carb cycle. Have high carbs/low fat on lifting days, and high fat/low carbs on off days. The biggest benefit is being able to have a wide variety of foods.

Yes, I tend to eat more carbs on lifting days and more fat on rest days. It's what I've been doing and realized today that I should ask whether I should do it MORE or stop doing it.

Since today is a rest day, I'm looking forward to my salmon for lunch! Yum!
  • MityMax96
    Options

I often do, although sometimes my appetite decreases after lifting and I don't end up eating more.

Yeah at times I have to force myself to eat post workout....
    Even more so now that I am doing my bulk, and I am still full from the day before that I don't feel like eating.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    Well that's why you should eat those calories burned on exercise back... That would change your macro totals. I always eat my exercise calories back, It hasn't hindered my weight loss at all.

Number of calories and macros are different issues :) Thanks though!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I keep mine the same as there'll be recovery going on during rest days.

Are you consistently gaining as you'd like? I only ask as you never seem to hit your calorie goal.
  • swimmermama
    Options

Are you consistently gaining as you'd like? I only ask as you never seem to hit your calorie goal.

Honestly, no. I was gaining well for a few months (went from 118 to 125) but recently have lost a couple of pounds. Thank you for the kick in the pants to get better about that!
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options

Number of calories and macros are different issues :) Thanks though!

Yeah, I realized that after I posted lol... your speaking of your macro percentages on work out days, ton days off.
    I leave my macros as they are, but on training days I tend to eat more carbs, and try to eat less fats../
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I always wondered about this too... but I know it would be a huge pain for me to keep up with all that so I really hope it doesn't matter that much. I just go with it.. whatever I happen to eat that day..as long as I hit my minimums of course.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Honestly, no. I was gaining well for a few months (went from 118 to 125) but recently have lost a couple of pounds. Thank you for the kick in the pants to get better about that!

I had this happen 3 times while bulking, just keep adding cals to keep the gains up. I've heard protein isn't the be all and end all while bulking (the same amount you have just now should be fine) means you get more carbs! Yay! :happy:
  • swimmermama
    Options

I had this happen 3 times while bulking, just keep adding cals to keep the gains up. I've heard protein isn't the be all and end all while bulking (the same amount you have just now should be fine) means you get more carbs! Yay! :happy:

Ha! I love protein more than anything else. A chicken breast or bread? Chicken breast, please! If I could live on yogurt, chicken, eggs, cheese, nuts, veggies, and fruit, I would. And dark chocolate, of course :)