Macros on weight-lifting vs. rest days

Options

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I keep mine the same as there'll be recovery going on during rest days.

Are you consistently gaining as you'd like? I only ask as you never seem to hit your calorie goal.

Honestly, no. I was gaining well for a few months (went from 118 to 125) but recently have lost a couple of pounds. Thank you for the kick in the pants to get better about that!

I had this happen 3 times while bulking, just keep adding cals to keep the gains up. I've heard protein isn't the be all and end all while bulking (the same amount you have just now should be fine) means you get more carbs! Yay! :happy:

During bulk, and doing weight lifting.
    Then carbs will be your go to, if protein is adequate.
  • cmpnaz
    cmpnaz Posts: 190
    Options
    Everyone will tell you that you can not gain muscle while eating a deficit, but according to a good friend who is also a certified nutritionist and has his degree in Sport Medicine you can gain strength and muscle ( though not at higher percentages as those trying to really bulk up) by controlling your macros while still eating in a deficit ....

I am running similar percentages on my macros, as you, with small increases in Carbs and Protein on my heaviest workout days... I do use Creatine daily and make sure to consume slow digesting proteins like chicken or turkey after workouts.... So far his advice has worked well for me so I am sticking with it.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Everyone will tell you that you can not gain muscle while eating a deficit, but according to a good friend who is also a certified nutritionist and has his degree in Sport Medicine you can gain strength and muscle ( though not at higher percentages as those trying to really bulk up) by controlling your macros while still eating in a deficit ....

Possible perhaps.....
    But extremely hard, as well as takes very long

But you can get stronger while in deficit......that is accurate.
    In fact I did very well going up in weight during my cut
  • cmpnaz
    cmpnaz Posts: 190
    Options

Possible perhaps.....

There is no illusion that muscle gain is harder, takes longer, and is not to the degree that one would gain while having a lower BMI and eating a surplus to bulk up. He does say that the amount that can be gained is very relative to the amount of stored fat that can be burned as energy during workouts, since that stored fat will be used for energy 2nd to the energy being produced form daily intake... He says the key though is knowing those macros and having the right balance to fuel and maintain your workouts while still allowing additional burning from fat reserves.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options

Possible perhaps.....

There is no illusion that muscle gain is harder, takes longer, and is not to the degree that one would gain while having a lower BMI and eating a surplus to bulk up. He does say that the amount that can be gained is very relative to the amount of stored fat that can be burned as energy during workouts, since that stored fat will be used for energy 2nd to the energy being produced form daily intake... He says the key though is knowing those macros and having the right balance to fuel and maintain your workouts while still allowing additional burning from fat reserves.

Fascinating stuff! I'm not trying to eat at a deficit now but it's good to know!
  • jrhanna84
    jrhanna84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MityMax96
    Options

Possible perhaps.....

Well just based on the OP's pic....she don't have a lot of fat to use......
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have been advised from pro bodybuilders and their trainer that I should consume 1-1.5 x body weight in protein, .5-1 x body weight in fat and carbs to build muscle while keeping body fat in check, but more carbs, like 1-1.5, if you are going to be bulking to your GW.

I do what they advise, but I am not a pro, so I unwittingly was carb cycling. And, hey, it works. I look pretty damn good these days. :tongue:
  • Jaseau
    Jaseau Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This thread is going nuts... I am new to all this so I am currently just trying to meet my Cals but running C40 F30 P30 for the past few days I have been quite a bit higher on my P's and F's and a little under on my C's and overall calories ( 60-120cals) I am also trying to get bigger but finding it hard to meet my cals required without busting over the protein and Fat requirements. I read in a previous response that Fat will be used for energy anyway? similar to the Paleo way of eating... or is it crucial that you must eat over your required calorie intake. to gain weight? I am currently 172Lb and 6ft.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    I have been advised from pro bodybuilders and their trainer that I should consume 1-1.5 x body weight in protein, .5-1 x body weight in fat and carbs to build muscle while keeping body fat in check, but more carbs, like 1-1.5, if you are going to be bulking to your GW.

I do what they advise, but I am not a pro, so I unwittingly was carb cycling. And, hey, it works. I look pretty damn good these days. :tongue:

Do you mean 1-1.5 x body weight of grams of protein? So if I am 124 lbs, I should eat 124 to 186 grams of protein, 124 grams to 186 grams of carbs, and 62 to 124 grams of fat?

Other than going over those numbers in carbs some days, I usually fall in those ranges. Thanks!
  • MityMax96
    Options

Those numbers work too....
    I know for me, that getting my fats too high, causes me to hold water.
    So I am better in the 0.35 - 0.4 gr / lb of body weight range.

But since I cycle macros.....I have high fat days, and expect the water weight....
    And also now that I am doing a bulk.....
    I am doing at least 1.5 gr of protein, and just a ton of carbs......
    My body seems to better handle carbs
  • swimmermama
    Options

But since I cycle macros.....I have high fat days, and expect the water weight....

Whatever you are doing, you seem to be doing it right! :)
  • MityMax96
    Options

hmmm....maybe.
    Will see come February.....
    Right now it ain't to much fun...watching my definition fade.
    But hey, has to be done if I want to get bigger
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    This is all pretty interesting stuff! I'm planning my first bulk starting Nov. 1st and am somewhat nervous about it. The way I normally maintain is to eat at a deficit M-Th to allow myself to have fun weekends. Sunday I try to eat at maintenance. This has worked well for me for a long time. When bulking, I assume I really need to eat those calories on my lifting days, which are pretty much M-F. If I don't want to gain too much too fast (and therefore too much fat), I may need to rethink some things.

Of course if I bump up my calories M-Th, my weekend cals may end up being less. I'm sure on my fundays when I tend to go a little overboard is because I tend to feel deprived during the week. Especially come Friday night...
  • swimmermama
    Options
    This is all pretty interesting stuff! I'm planning my first bulk starting Nov. 1st and am somewhat nervous about it. The way I normally maintain is to eat at a deficit M-Th to allow myself to have fun weekends. Sunday I try to eat at maintenance. This has worked well for me for a long time. When bulking, I assume I really need to eat those calories on my lifting days, which are pretty much M-F. If I don't want to gain too much too fast (and therefore too much fat), I may need to rethink some things.

Of course if I bump up my calories M-Th, my weekend cals may end up being less. I'm sure on my fundays when I tend to go a little overboard is because I tend to feel deprived during the week. Especially come Friday night...

Can you shift a couple of days around to lift on the weekends? I love my Sundays. I lift and then I eat with my family all day!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

hmmm....maybe.

suck it up butter cup- I'm out squatting you- so get your swole on so February you can beast me at squats.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options

Can you shift a couple of days around to lift on the weekends? I love my Sundays. I lift and then I eat with my family all day!

I think that's what I'll have to do! I'd love to say I'm going to change my lifestyle, but honestly, I don't see that happening any time soon.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I am certainly no expert. For me, I eat extra protein on lifting days (usually more than 40%). I eat more calories on rest days, but I always try to hit my 40% target on protein in rest days. I'm hungrier on rest days.

I asked my friend, a registered dietician, about lifting/rest days and macros, she said that altering the macros on those days probably wouldn't have a long-term effect/benefit.
  • swimmermama
    Options

I think that's what I'll have to do! I'd love to say I'm going to change my lifestyle, but honestly, I don't see that happening any time soon.

Don't change your lifestyle - change your lifting days to fit your lifestyle! :)
  • MityMax96
    Options

hmmm....maybe.

suck it up butter cup- I'm out squatting you- so get your swole on so February you can beast me at squats.

I am trying girl....
    I need you to come down and train my *kitten* for legs.....for sure.