Anyone want to share a diet that produces results :)

Options
I am new a ready to get healthy and happy :) I recently gained 35lbs after having a baby and would like to lose it :)

Replies

• Christal_Merrill
    Options
    I agree I would love to know!
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Any diet that has a calorie deficit will produce results. Set your goals on here, get a food scale, eat at/under your goal, and log everything accurately.
  • fitness4life78
    Options
    The best way to do it is, Low CARBS and high Protein. Balance out your Strength training and Cardio.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

Go Dawgs!!!
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on how you want to exercise. Going low carb while training for a marathon, for example, is quite stupid. How do you exercise. What are your goals?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Any diet that has a calorie deficit will produce results. Set your goals on here, get a food scale, eat at/under your goal, and log everything accurately.

^This. I'd add track your macros, eat enough protein and dietary fat but you DO NOT NEED to go low carb, nor should you. Also, start a strength training routine if you haven't already. Something like Stronglifts 5x5. You'll be glad you did.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I am new a ready to get healthy and happy :) I recently gained 35lbs after having a baby and would like to lose it :)

There's a great one I know. It's called: set up your information on this site, follow the recommendations, eat at a reasonable calorie deficit, eat foods you like in quantities that fit your nutrition goals, include some form of resistance training, and tweak things as you go.

I know it's a long name and a bit unorthodox, but it's totally worthwhile.

If you haven't found these guides yet, I always suggest starting with these links:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1296011-calorie-counting-101
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1365345-getting-started-a-marine-s-perspective

And then these if you want to take your logging to the next step:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Consistency. Login everyday, be honest with your tracking (good, bad, ugly), maybe a little activity if you can.

Either follow MFP guidelines for calories or venture off to TDEE (that is what I do) but at the end of the day it is wash, rinse, repeat. :wink:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It depends on YOU and how you want to approach this.

Some folks like logging, counting, weighing, measuring everything they eat, but then keeping all the foods they like.

Some folks like being given some guidelines (like a South Beach Diet).

Some folks would rather restrict a macro (like carbs or fat).

Whatever you find is best for you.

For ME? Low glycemic eating (like South Beach) worked best for me to lose and most importantly TO MAINTAIN.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Any diet you can stick with that gives you a calorie deficit. What can you stick with over time? Eat that.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Look at you making your first post after joining back in 2012

You will find the majority of MFP users advocate calorie counting as calories in vrs calories out is the only way scientificly proven for the human body to lose fat.

Here is a good read to totally understand the concept.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/

From there you can figure out your macros and then eat the foods you like to meet your calorie deficit.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP...the only hard and fast rule...eat less than your body burns. The rest of it...IMO...is trial and error until you find out what works for you and will give you the best chance of sustaining your weight loss.

One rule that I found that works for me...being flexible...willing to adjust if something is not working. After one year and 80lbs lost...I reached a point where I needed to make changes. So right now I am going through that process.

Read...research...think about if an eating plan fits your lifestyle...then stick with it unless you come to a point that it is no longer working.

As far as exercise...the best is one that you enjoy and that you will do consistently. Main thing is...just move...get more active.

While I believe that macro/micro numbers are important...it can get to be a bit too much at start. Take one thing at a time...when you get one thing down...add another.

Good luck!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on how you want to exercise. Going low carb while training for a marathon, for example, is quite stupid. How do you exercise. What are your goals?

Really? Is this personal experience or opinion?

In the last year, I have used a low carb approach (~20% of calories from carbs) to lose over 50 pounds and cut 35 minutes from my half marathon time (2:20 to 1:45). I am currently on track to run a 3:45 for my next marathon, cutting 70 minutes from my Dec 2013 time of 4:56.

I look good and feel great.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    bingo.

the "I eat less than my TDEE" diet.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
  • tinat6848
    Options
    I cut my calories by over half and am having great results so far! Eating protein rich snacks and moving all the time!
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bit boring for me, cut right down on alcohol and ate the same things but just less of them. Plus stopped the snacking when bored..
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options

^This. I'd add track your macros, eat enough protein and dietary fat but you DO NOT NEED to go low carb, nor should you. Also, start a strength training routine if you haven't already. Something like Stronglifts 5x5. You'll be glad you did.

I agree with both. Watch your calories, clean your eating up a little bit, and start moving. C25k ( cardio ) and SL5x5 ( weights ) are both great beginner programs to look at. I use both and have seen great results. Goodluck
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Well, you just use this nifty site called MyFitnessPal. You enter your stats and then eat the number of calories you're allotted.

Oh, wait. You're on the site right now.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options

Really? Is this personal experience or opinion?

In the last year, I have used a low carb approach (~20% of calories from carbs) to lose over 50 pounds and cut 35 minutes from my half marathon time (2:20 to 1:45). I am currently on track to run a 3:45 for my next marathon, cutting 70 minutes from my Dec 2013 time of 4:56.

I look good and feel great.

I would wager that you aren't really getting only 20% of your calories from carbs if you are training for a marathon. So they pass out pork chops at the race stations, do they? Any endurance athlete in the world will tell you they get the majority of their calories from carbs.

And yes, mine is also from personal experience as a former competitive triathlete.