What's the biggest food mistake you used to make?

Options

Replies

• DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough fruits and vegetables.

Back in the day (My early twenties) when I used to go to Subway, I'd always get a meatball sub with extra cheese and bacon, but no veggies.

Even when cooking for myself, I never ate them.

I can't get enough of them now.
  • Zekou
    Zekou Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was too lazy to eat proper meals so I would binge on sweets, everything I could get my hands on. I would never eat like that again, I'm too aware what goes in my mouth now.
  • ssweet169
    Options
    Eating cheese was my biggest downfall. After I cut back I dropped weight.
  • prettychelly
    prettychelly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    In college I would have a reasonable breakfast eggs and yogurt and lunch had a burrito and then Chinese food for dinner and this would be about 5 times a week on top of all the alcohol being consumed on the weekends. I didn't eat burritos and Chinese food everyday. Basically I would eat large portions of fast-food twice a day weekly.
  • drkuhl2017
    drkuhl2017 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Eating huge portion sizes every time I ate. Also, restricting myself from eating certain foods.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Vodka and soda. Sprite or Sierra Mist to be exact. Not the diet stuff either. Real Sugar for me. I can do great all week, and totally ruin it on the weekends.

I am still fighting with this.
  • Tikibar72
    Tikibar72 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I honestly had no idea how much sodium I was putting into myself. I don't salt my food - its was the lunch meat and bread I'd have for lunch, the take-out food, the 'low fat' foods, and lest I forget cheese!. Really eye opening!

Eating more cleanly cut that way down (along with tons of extra calories!)
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I used to eat out all the time, and now I almost always cook. I know what I'm putting in my dishes even though they can get caloric at times. Plus, portion sizes were my downfall.

I was going to say something similar. My biggest mistake pre-weight loss was allowing restaurants to determine portion sizes for me. I'd get a plate full of food and not stop til it was done. Almost never had food packed up for home. Also I used to curse at the menus that had calorie counts on them for making me feel guilty...now I'm so grateful even though we eat out much, much less than we used to.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    portion size. I just plan ate too much and didn't move enough.

Still trying to keep my weekends from ruining all my hard work on the week days.
  • RachelInSpace
    RachelInSpace Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There were days when everything I ate was obtained via drive-thru. For real.... Starbucks latte or frap with ham and egg sandwich for breakfast, Arby's combo meal plus mozzarella sticks for lunch, Wendy's cheeseburger meal with some extra chicken nuggets for dinner. And I thought nothing of it! Ugh... I miss the taste of those foods but definitely not how horrible I felt at the end of the day. Of course, I'll indulge (rarely!) but I make healthier choices and the thought of eating SO much grease in one day turns my stomach now.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    eating diet food. (i.e. fat-free, sugar-free, etc)
    eating the real thing is always more satisfying and better for you than frankenfood!
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Allowing myself a treat or a cheat meal for any reason. "The baby was fussy today. Had a crazy day at the office. I have been extra careful lately." Anything goes! And those treat and cheat would exceed all my good work so back to square one!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower mashed "potatoes." I'd rather eat a fat clown's *kitten*.
    Eating whole wheat pasta and brown rice

I'm with you on the whole wheat pasta. Blech!

tumblr_lhirzvVDTT1qgy0w4o1_500.gif?format=original
  • TheSnarkasticSkyscraper
    Options
    Trying to eat the pizza before taking it out of the box.
  • Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Eating too much of it
  • Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Trying to eat the pizza before taking it out of the box.

Ha!
  • runeatrunlive
    runeatrunlive Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Grazing while preparing food. I would make a healthy meal but while I was preparing it I would eat chunks of cheese or anything out of the fridge that looked tasty. Also too many biscuits/cookies during the day at work. I would eat 2 or 3 with each cup of tea or coffee! I think that plus going back for seconds and thirds at dinnertime got me to the weight that I am.
  • zombie130
    Options
    .....CHEESECAKE......
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    portion size. I just plan ate too much and didn't move enough.

Still trying to keep my weekends from ruining all my hard work on the week days.

Absolutely this.

Plus for a long time I just didn't care. I got into the endless downward spiral of overeating, being depressed about overeating and then still eating more, starving for a few weeks to make up for it, and then repeat repeat repeat.

I still struggle with emotional/stress eating, but seeing it for what it is has helped me slow it down and usually stop it from happening.
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Mine would be portion sizes and just going crazy on weekends (which I still am having difficult with).