What do you do with a sweet potato?

Options

Replies

• helloreenie
    helloreenie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    baked with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon or mashed with the same (i add a little milk) and my boyfriend's favorite: sweet potato fries (this recipe is from the tumblr undressedskeleton):

-Peel two large sweet potatoes.
    -Slice sweet potatoes into VERY thin slices.
    -Add the sweet potato to a large bowl and microwave for 4-6 minutes.
    -On a non-stick baking sheet spread out microwaved potatoes evenly.
    -Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minute. Don’t let them burn.
    -While they are in the oven, heat a frying pan on high.
    -Add 1/2 cup of coconut oil to frying pan.
    -Remove fries from oven and add to frying pan with coconut oil.
    -Cook fries until they crisp and lightly brown.
    -Add all fries to a brown paper sack. Add: 1/2 tablespoon of dried rosemary, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp dried parsley and 1/2 tsp sea salt.

i also love the brussels sprout breakfast hash from howsweeteats.com (basically bacon, cubed sweet potatoes, sprouts topped with runny egg)
  • TanzaMarie
    TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    coconut butter on a baked sweet potato is amazing! Add some cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice and delish!
  • sofulnaturalee
    sofulnaturalee Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Baked or grilled with brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and a lil butter,
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I skin it and cut into wedges or cubes. Toss with olive oil and whichever seasonings you like. I like garlic, salt & pepper, parsley, and especially chili powder. Bake in oven until soft.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Mashed with a dollop of butter and some brown sugar, or a sprinkle of praline pecans. Oven roasted with butter and cracked pepper. Soup with chicken stock, half and half, curry and cracked pepper.. ...sweet and velvety. Sweet poato fries. Sweet potato chips from the dehydrator. Ginger sugar sprinkled on oven roasted sweet potato, wonderful. Almond butter is great on sweet potatoes too.
  • amp089
    amp089 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the first time I tried a sweet potato we baked them and they were bland and awful. I wanted to give them a second try so I google'd for ideas. I found this blog and haven't looked back. This is by far the best tasting baked sweet potato! (I like pumpkin pie spice):
    http://www.thefreckledfoodie.com/how-to-bake-a-perfect-sweet-potato/
  • Lost_in_Transformation
    Options
    You eat it! :wink:
  • bvagle
    Options
    I like to cook them the same way I do my carrots - in a fry pan!! put some olive oil or coconut oil in the bottom of the pan, dice them up and fry them with some cracked pepper and sea salt! They are also good cooked this way and you can top with taco meat, lettuce and any other toppings you like.
  • tammym423
    tammym423 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    sliced pretty thick in oven with olive oil and fresh rosemary
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    What do I do with a sweet potato? Throw it as hard and as far as I can.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I leave them at the store. I hate sweet potatoes. :sick:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    What do I do with a sweet potato? Throw it as hard and as far as I can.

That's what I'd do with an avocado, can't stand them. The same goes for anything Mexican.
  • crunchergirl
    crunchergirl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    bump for new ideas
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Good ideas
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    Back until very soft and sprinkle with cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. No butter or other oils. When they are baked very soft, they are also very moist.
  • JraeL91
    Options
    Peeled, then sliced with a food processor
    Lay slices on a cookie sheet evenly spread. Brush them with olive oil, mixed with seasonings and salt.
    Bake slices in oven at 350, for about an hour or until tender. But if you want them like chips, flip after the hour is up. Then bake another 15 -20 minutes. Re-season and salt to preferred taste.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i eat an enormous sweet potato just about 4-5 times a week. i love them.

i have 2 signature preparations. please feel free to tweak at your discretion, but do NOT bastardize my wonderful recipes with things like soy cheese, cauliflower, or shiritaki noodles (though idk how those would come into play)

the first one is what i call the "sweet potaco"...
    i bake the sweet potato (wrapped in foil) in the oven until done. during that time, i prepare taco meat....ground beef, spices, cholula sauce, salsa...
    once the pertater is done, cut it in half and open it up, fork mash, top with a mound of the beef, sprinkle generously with a shredded mexican blend, and add sour cream, guac, jalepenos, and more cholula.

the second, i refer to as the "pulled porkato" (aka shredded porkato)
    there are 2 ways to do this one. one with leftover pulled pork from the crockpot or smoker, and the other with thin sliced pork tenderloin.
    bake the potato the same way, and during that time heat up the pork.
    cut the potato, split and mash it, then top the potato with a mountain of the meat, add shredded cheddar, caramelized onions, bbq sauce and go to town.

you are welcome.
  • Original_Sinner
    Original_Sinner Posts: 180 Member
    Options

i have 2 signature preparations. please feel free to tweak at your discretion, but do NOT bastardize my wonderful recipes with things like soy cheese, cauliflower, or shiritaki noodles (though idk how those would come into play)

i bake the sweet potato (wrapped in foil) in the oven until done. during that time, i prepare taco meat....ground beef, spices, cholula sauce, salsa...
    once the pertater is done, cut it in half and open it up, fork mash, top with a mound of the beef, sprinkle generously with a shredded mexican blend, and add sour cream, guac, jalepenos, and more cholula.

there are 2 ways to do this one. one with leftover pulled pork from the crockpot or smoker, and the other with thin sliced pork tenderloin.
    cut the potato, split and mash it, then top the potato with a mountain of the meat, add shredded cheddar, caramelized onions, bbq sauce and go to town.

you are welcome.

oh jibbering jeebus....

clean up on aisle 5!!! We need a clean up on aisle 5!!!
  • da_bears1008
    Options

you are welcome.

like dis?

Spicy-Pulled-Pork-Stuffed-Sweet-Potato-9813.jpg
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

you are welcome.

like dis?

Spicy-Pulled-Pork-Stuffed-Sweet-Potato-9813.jpg

omg JUX like that, except mine has moar meat. ;)