breakfasts!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• aggiejen
    Options
    I'm like you...I seem to have the same ole granola bars and a bottle of water...on the way to drop kids off at school and me to work...but I found a couple of new smoothie recipes over the weekend. I made one of them tonight...it was fantastic...and at about 150 calories per 8oz...it will definitely help me keep my breakfast calories under 350...it also has a good amount of vit. c, (I used an OJ that was also calcium fortified) so I got the calcium...and then all the other goodies that bananas, mixed fruit, and tofu give...

The recipe is really easy..

1 and 1/4 cup of OJ
    1 banana
    1/2 cup silken tofu
    approx. 10oz mixed frozen fruit
    1 tbsp. of sugar (or sugar substitute)...optional...

Blend everything in the blender...

You can probably pick and choose the fruit you want...(I'm going to try a banana, strawberry, pineapple blend next time) each serving is for 8 oz....and the recipe says it is 140 calories...

This can help you get in your fruit for the day...

hope this gives you a bit more to add to your foods...

Jen
  • mekhala
    mekhala Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmm... breakfast...... i used to hate breakfast but now i cant go without it!!

I need protein and carbs in the morning or i am starving an hour later - so usually eggs of some sort and wholegrain bread - i like indian eggs with tomato's and spices and a little chilli powder.

just an egg sandwich today as i have boiled eggs in the fridge. Also have lots of lean bacon on dry toast with a tbsp brown sauce - yummy ! or a breakfast burrito - those indian eggs all wrapped up in a soft tortilla. i had french toast yesterday with bacon - using oil spray for the pan,

when eggs are a bit much i have a big fruit salad with a mullerlight - i only like the vanilla or smooth toffee - the others taste a bit chemically....

I know eggs are full of cholesterol - but not as much as the cholesterol i would be eating later if i went for crisps!!

i have written all of my favourite things for breakfast on a card - and just pick one a day , i have done the same with lunch, dinner and treats. I am hoping this will make it easier to stay on track!

x x
  • clover27357
    Options
    In college, I had a toaster that poached eggs and heated precooked meat while making the toast and it SAVED me! Walmart and Bed Bath Beyond sell them and they run about $30-$40. I always made scrambled eggs insted of poached in mine. You just pour in the little cup of water, spray the tray and put the egg in, lay your pre-cooked meat on top and pop in your bread. It surpasses BK on time and taste. You can make sandwitches for 4 people in about 15 minutes with tons of variety of bacon, saussage, cheese, different breads...I loved this thing so much when I was on a tight schedule. I should SO sell these things hehe

Try searching this to see what I mean - Back to Basics TEM500 Egg-and-Muffin 2-Slice Toaster and Egg Poacher

You could also make breakfast ahead of time. We often have a half-loaf of french toast or a zip lock of pancakes in the fridge, which is great if you're in a hurry or if it's your day off and you plan on going back to sleep in 2 hours, I mean 'running errands all day.' I think everyones goal is to eat a better breakfast or any breakfast at all. You're certainly not alone there
  • xojox
    xojox Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    thank you all for some great recipes!!!!!

i have just come back from shopping after reading them and have bought a lot of the ingredients needed.........again thank you, i had really hit a blind spot and was getting bored with toast!! lol

x jo x
  • crosscreekspain
    Options
    2 pieces of melba toast, 2 oz of cheddar cheese and an orange or an apple. Easy to grab and go and can put into a bag the night before.
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    PB, banana, and espresso smoothie...

1cup skim milk
    1 ripe banana cut up
    1 heaping T of pb
    1 T instant espresso or instant coffee granuals
    1/4 cup wheat germ
    thickener of choice...ice, silken tofu, greek yogurt

blend well...if you don't like coffee-just leave it out. I make these for my youngest son minus the coffee.

When I have bananas that are getting overripe, I slice them and put into freezer bags and freeze. Frozen banana will make my smoothie nice and cold!
  • sdesrosiers
    sdesrosiers Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is my favorite, because its so easy.
    1 english muffin, 1/4 egg substitute, a tsp chopped onions and peppers, 1 slice ff cheese - it melts sooo good. I make this at work.
    Toast english muffin, meanwhile, add peppers and onions to egg subs, cook in microwave on high 1 minute. put half cheese slice on each half of the muffin - it won't taste so dry, slide the cooked egg onto the middle and enjoy! Sometimes I add salsa,
    canadian bacon or a little bit of tabasco for a kick

On the days I feel like something sweet:
    Whole wheat frozen waffle
    2 tablespoons part skim ricotta
    a few berries - any kind
    1/2 tsp honey

Toast the waffle, spread ricotta onto it, top with berries and drizzle honey all over top. Who wouldn't love a cannoli for breakfast! You can even have two of these depending on your daily caloric intake.