Cleaning...Light or Heavy??

Options

Replies

• ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Perhaps no one can answer your question on what is light cleaning vs. heavy cleaning because no one logs it.... because you shouldn't.

^^^This. Its pretty much an activity of daily living. The only time it can POSSIBLY be considered exercise is if you're pregnant or something....lol. Folding laundry gets my heart pumping. But even then. More than likely no.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this site...

I asked a simple question which I thought would have a simple answer. Hmm I guess not, as everyone decides to add their opinion on if i should log it or not - which I did not ask for.

YEAH!!! You're all mean people! leave her alone!

Cue eyeroll.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I consider it 'heavy' when I work up a good sweat. I am a housekeeper so I log this activity only on work days. At home, I go at more leisurely pace-thus it is 'light'.

So, constant moving and stretching from vacuuming, mopping, washing walls or windows, etc. I log as 'heavy'.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

I asked a simple question which I thought would have a simple answer. Hmm I guess not, as everyone decides to add their opinion on if i should log it or not - which I did not ask for.

YEAH!!! You're all mean people! leave her alone!

HAI!!!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

You do not have to ask for ones opinion to get it. Hence why this is called the internet.

No one can tell you or should tell you whether you should be logging cleaning or not, but they can give their opinion and views on it. They can also give you advice.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    ac289-horizontalrunning.gif?w=500&h=260
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Perhaps no one can answer your question on what is light cleaning vs. heavy cleaning because no one logs it.... because you shouldn't.

Who are you to tell me what I should and shouldn't log? Surely its my choice if I want to or not.

I think you're taking this a bit too personally. Look around at tickers and post counts here. Do you think we're telling you this to be mean? No. We're telling you this because logging bogus exercise calories is lying to yourself and it won't help you in the long run.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    Options
    Can someone explain to me the difference between:- Light Cleaning and Heavy Cleaning please :)
    Thank you

Clean the oven the same day that it has been used.

Clean the oven after leaving it for a year.
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You're better off underestimating your calorie burn than overestimating it. So if you're determined to enter the activity into MFP, choose the light cleaning option.

I think it's different for everyone whether you choose to log things like this or not. I have my activity level set to "sedentary" so I do log cleaning and food prep when it's more than like 15 minutes (I typically prepare a big meal or clean a big batch of fruit or veggies once a week). I do agree that you should underestimate if you're not using a HRM or fitbit. I always underestimate my pace (i.e. jogging I log at 5.0 mph even though I know I run faster) and almost always use the "light cleaning" even if it's something bigger like washing my car by hand or doing a big scrub on hands-and-knees.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    People are really trying to help you.
    Calm down and take their advise.....all they are trying to do is help you be successful on here.
    As we all know we have failed many many times before without the right information.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't log cleaning, but I'd say light is vacuuming, laundry, general tidying that you have to do at least weekly. Heavy would be if you're moving out and want your deposit back and the landlord is coming in an hour.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

If is ultimately up to you. You decide what your definition of light or heavy cleaning is. Everyone has an opinion, it is clear that you have yours as well.
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Light cleaning:

Cardio-Versus-Strength-Training.jpeg

Heavy Cleaning:

01.jpg

This is also what I thought this post was going to be about.
    It's not- so I've got nothing.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Light cleaning:

Heavy Cleaning:

01.jpg

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!
  • keeem25
    keeem25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This thread is interesting. I have always been a walker, walking several miles per day. Since starting MFP two weeks ago, I log that walking as exercise. Apparently, since I was walking before starting MFP, I should not be logging this?

I don't understand the logic of this.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options

Really?
    I clean houses and I can tell you I get a great workout. I work up a drenching sweat after 3 or 4 hours of working.
  • KayleighIsGoingFatToFit
    Options
    I understand all that but I did not ask if everyone logs it...all I asked was the difference between them.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I had no idea there was an option to ignore people. Thank you.
    Light - daily things like dusting, vacuuming, dishes.

Heavy - Spring Cleaning, washing the shower

I don't log any cleaning, but that's my take on it.

No, people shouldn't be rude. You did nothing to deserve being mocked. Next to every name is an arrow. If you click on it, you get the option to ignore all future posts from that person. Some people literally log in JUST to spread nastiness around, lol. Make good use of that Ignore thing and the forums become a happier and more supportive place. :)
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Light cleaning:

Heavy Cleaning:

01.jpg
    Loved it!

I wouldn't log things like cleaning, or daily chores. If you do these things a lot I'd just up your activity level 1 category. If you have it at sedentary, move it to lightly active. Much easier then logging stuff you do around the house every day.
This discussion has been closed.