Cleaning...Light or Heavy??

Options

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I would like to say in my own defence, personal I have taken offensive to some comments and the way things have been said/typed. just because you think you haven't said anything rude, nasty or offensive doesn't mean that it hasn't come across that way to me.

I have stated why I wanted to know yet people still keep going.

I have thanked the people that I appreciate the advice from.

I didn't realise it was such a complicated question, my bad.

But I have learnt that I won't be posting questions on here anymore...thanks guys :drinker:
    I think maybe you need to take a stepback and read what has been written and what you have written. I came to this thread late and as far as I can see you have asked a question that it is impossible to answer which people have said numerous times. You have then taken offense because of that. It seems that you are reading things that are not there and determined to be offended.

I think the issue is actually yours I'm afraid and yes we all sometimes infer on what people say which is why its best to sometimes think about what is being said. I'm sorry that you are offended but I'm afraid that seems to be your isue not the replies that people have taken their time to respond to your questions and yes there has been some joking but none of it has be malicious.

Good luck
  • sofulnaturalee
    sofulnaturalee Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I cleaned my whole house yesterday for 2 hours straight. I was sweating and everything. I logged it but I put it in as light cleaning and only for 1 hour. I had music going and went at it full speed. Sweeping mopping rearranged furniture the whole nine. But I have OCD when it comes to cleaning. I never log it. I did yesterday because I didn't get to go to the gym and I had a grill chicken plate from a Gyro place lol. I also walk to and from work to my car which takes about 10mins both ways. I logged that in as well. I feel like it is up to you on what is light verses heavy. And feel free to log what you want. It's your diary. :-)
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    To me, heavy cleaning is done when you physically move furniture or appliances to clean under them, take things off the walls and scrub them, take light fixtures down and scrub them, and scrub floors all by hand. Heavy cleaning is "spring cleaning" or the type of cleaning you do before you move out/in to an apartment and you want your security deposit back. At the end of heavy cleaning, you want to eat out for the next week so you don't screw up your hard work, and you're 80% sure if someone comes in and messes up your work, you would exile them from the house.

Light cleaning is daily, weekly or monthly tasks that don't require a whole lot of effort.

I am a 140lb, moderately active woman, and I probably burn 50 for an hour of light cleaning, and 200 or so for a few hours of heavy cleaning. My husband is a 200lb, active man and he burns considerably more than me, because A.) he's a man, B.) he's bigger and C.) magic. So, calorie estimates have to be done on a personal level with a HRM or through MFP. There might be calorie estimates online. Google is a great tool: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=calorie+burned+cleaning+
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    seriously? logging cleaning is a cop out..sorry but it is :/
    and once upon a time I did that and I didn't get very far in my weight loss journey...
    be honest with yourself and get moving, do some proper exercise, log that and eat back half your exercise calories..that is the way to find success.
    cleaning is something we all have to do, its a part of our normal routine.

push the boundaries and be the best you can be :)

You have got others views on light and heavy cleaning though so at least this thread has been some help to you..
    Please don't take comments personally, some of us have been here a long time, we know what works by now and we give our two cents worth so others wont make the same mistakes and reach their goals faster.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    WoWza...I thought I was overly sensitive. You actually got good solid advice on here...
  • LosinMama66
    Options
    Hi...I log everything I do...not matter what. If it burns calories, I log it.
  • 2dare2dream
    2dare2dream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think in general people were trying to give advice, and trying to help you avoid making errors in your calculations. It seems to me that if you ask a question you should be prepared for varying opinions as it is a real reflection of us as individuals. Not everyone will think the same.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Light cleaning:

Cardio-Versus-Strength-Training.jpeg

Heavy Cleaning:

01.jpg

lol this.

[edit] oh, and to actually contribute, I only log activities completed with the intent of training/conditioning (workouts, backpacking trips, etc.). even if I'm outside pulling parts off of my car engine all afternoon in 100 degree weather, it doesn't count, and doesn't get logged. if nothing else, those "extra" activities will put me slightly under my logged amount of calories--bonus!
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like logging my cleaning sometimes...I'm generally a pretty lazy person and it's something I want to improve on and logging my cleaning motivates me. I try not to eat back my exercise calories, so why not get some extra motivation in the process?

I always just stick to light when I log cleaning because I think MFP overestimates as it is...that being said, I agree with many of the above: light cleaning = dishes, sweeping, etc. at a leisurely pace (AKA "putting around"), heavy cleaning = scrubbing the floors, moving, picking up carpets, etc. at a brisk pace (AKA relatives called an hour ago to say that they're popping by and now you're in a mad dash to do all the tasks you've been putting off for a week and sweat is dripping down your face).
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Yea, but sitting on the couch doing nothing burns calories....
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I log cleaning, but also I don't have my settings set above sedentary and I also don't eat my calories back either from cleaning. with that being said this is your choice to log it and on't let other tell you that you shouldn't I log anything i do like cleaning, walking around stores, or the va (as that is a lot of walking to many different clinics from one end to the other end of the hospital and parking garage) I use this log as a way for me to look back and see what was working for me to achieve certian goals I wanted. Ie in 2012 I could not stand very long to do dishes. Now I can stand for an hour doing dishes (if I have that many) This just lets me know how far i have come too. My point is you log what you want not what others say. as for which is which. I would say light cleaning is things most people do on a daily basis ie washing their dishes and putting them away, wiping down counters and microwave in the kitchen. Other things like vacuuming, sweeping, cleaning tub scrubbing the floors, washing walls washing cupboards, etc as heavy. However, MFP does seem to over estimates on the calorie count so I would cut the time in half and then enter that in if you are looking for a calorie count burn.
    Perhaps no one can answer your question on what is light cleaning vs. heavy cleaning because no one logs it.... because you shouldn't.

Who are you to tell me what I should and shouldn't log? Surely its my choice if I want to or not.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this site...

I asked a simple question which I thought would have a simple answer. Hmm I guess not, as everyone decides to add their opinion on if i should log it or not - which I did not ask for.

Why do people post things in the Discussion Forums, if they do not want answers and opinions???? The fact is each and everybody here has an opinion and is stating it. Of course they are also taking their time to try to answer your question. And in my opinion, very few people have been mean, or sarcastic. I think overall, everybody on the site wants to be helpful, because we are all learning.

Now whether you log it or not is up to you. But what a number of people seem to be trying to say is that depending on the activity level you chose when you put your information in, (How active you are, or are not,) basic movements may already be being calculated into that number, so logging any activity, just to log may be doing you a dis-service. (i.e. - due to mine, I walk the dog every night, but I do not log it. While I realize some people do, based on my activity level, the one I chose, I do not. I feel like if I did, I would only be cheating myself, thinking that I am burning more calories than I might actually be burning. Now you might say that I am being conservative, but if that is true then that is a benefit to me on this journey.)

So in the end whether you call it Light or Heavy is entirely up to you, and what you think it should be, based on how many calories that you know or think that you are burning.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I lol'd at this thread.
  • gmdaniel
    gmdaniel Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Log it! I'm with you!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

I forgot to log breathing again
  • gmdaniel
    gmdaniel Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    great response!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I forgot to log breathing again

Now you can have that devilish Oreo cookie you have been craving once you log your breathing time.
  • fabulousmomma
    fabulousmomma Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Stick with the good people on this site! Go for it, log it, do whatever you want to!
    I cant believe how mean some people are to this girl who was just asking a question. What happened to the support?!
    Best of luck to you!
  • BabyJUDYKAY
    BabyJUDYKAY Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't know about other peoples family, but i have six people. These dirty clothes are heavy! :) Moms don't really get much appreciation for cooking and cleaning, so it actually makes me feel better to log it. I am sort of getting some credit for doing all this at least. I try to do extra each week also...... washing the car, raking leaves, mowing grass, tending the garden, etc. So, say what you will, i am loggin' it. (smile)
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Stick with the good people on this site! Go for it, log it, do whatever you want to!
    I cant believe how mean some people are to this girl who was just asking a question. What happened to the support?!
    Best of luck to you!

Disagreeing with someone =/= mean.
This discussion has been closed.