Craving the crap

Options
13»

Replies

• TheKingsChampion
    Options
    I used to have the same problem at night, and then I figured out I was eating out of boredom. Drinking water helps a lot for me, and keeping my hands and mind busy with some strategic/puzzle videogames.

Advice to be taken : Drink water/chew gum to keep the mouth busy -- Find a hobby to keep you occupied at night. :flowerforyou:
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Try cutting it out entirely for six weeks. Do not allow a bite.

After a while of telling yourself "No!", it gets easier. I promise!

The cravings start to just disappear after a short time.

Maybe once you're in the habit of being able to turn away, it will be easier to allow a little in without going too crazy.

You are strong enough to say No. You just have to believe in yourself. You can do it. :)
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    The quote above sounds like the best advise. Some people who are very drawn to sugary foods find that it makes life easier to just give up desserts. I'm much happier on a dessert-free diet because if I allow myself a treat, I just want another, and the constant craving is a nuisance.

I've had to re-start my sugar free diet a few times, so I know now what to expect when I go cold turkey. For the first few days I get very hungry, even when I'm eating enough calories. I get really scared by the hunger for some reason. I also get really anxious and restless and experience headaches and crankiness. The worst of it is over in four days, and the excess hunger is gone in seven days. After that, the cravings are much less noticeable.

I've read that the brain grows new neural pathways when we're learning a new habit, and it takes about four weeks for this to physically happen. Remembering this helps me stay on track because I know that with each good choice I make and with each success I have that my brain is being restored.

Of course, not everyone has an addictive response after consuming sugar. Not everyone who drinks alcohol becomes an alcoholic. You have to decide for yourself where you are on the scale. What amount of sugar tips the balance for you and leads to compulsive eating?

Best wishes to you.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your coprophagia. While I cannot empathize (thank goodness), I sympathize.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Two things I recently learned about.

1. Medjool Dates. Theses things literally tastes like caramel. They are soo good and they are fruit.
    2. Pure bars. All natural and they are like candy bars. They have different flavors (I haven't tried the others yet), but the one pictured below contains only *Dates, *Agave Nectar, *Cashew Butter, *Brown Rice Protein, *Walnuts, *Almonds, *Bananas, *Coconut Oil, *Coconut Flour, *Natural Flavor

pure-001155.jpg