Period and Working Out

Options
Hello!
So I'm just starting to work out more often. I usually run two miles and do some cycling and some arm workouts. For the first time since ive started working out, I've started my period. Might seem like a silly thing to ask but what do you girls do? I haven't had to run or workout with a period since my sophomore year. I just finished high school this year, so its been a couple years. I don't get pain like most people that isn't my problem, But Isn't it uncomfortable to run or excersise with pads? and if you use tampons is that uncomfortable? I use them, but i worry about it leaking so I wear a pad as well. (yes i change them often) What do you girls do during your periods? Thanks.:ohwell: :blushing:

Replies

• SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    TMI but anyway.... here to help! :laugh: I suffer with crippling pain when it's that time of the month, I also have a very heavy flow. I take some tablets, change my tampon just before I set off and off I go! No problems. If you find wearing a tampon uncomfortable then you have either inserted it wrong or you need to try a different make because you shouldn't feel it at all. I also find exercise helps my grumpy mood around that time so I probably work out harder than the rest of the month, for my sanity and the physical safety of my family... :tongue: All the best!
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I train first thing in the morning (5.15am!) and invariably miss one or two days when my period first starts as I have to get up several times in the night and I'm just so-o-o-o exhausted. Plus its so heavy that I dont want to risk flooding at the gym. Would be happy to do normal routines by day 3 though. (Found it much easier since switching from tampons to a mooncup).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    To be frank I am not sure why this question comes up so much....:noway:

It's part of life and life doesn't stop for it...I've been having a period for 33 years...while I was in school, army, college etc...you live life that's what you do...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yay, finally a chance to "advertise" for the menstrual cup! A game changer. I won't get more advertising than that, you have to google it... I use a Femmecup now, but I have also bought some other brands.
  • BrightonChick
    BrightonChick Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm with Stef on this one....

Has your menstrual cycle ever stopped you doing anything else? Going to work/school/out with friends/partying the night away? Probably not.
    Exercise is just as important and should be included to your normal activities of daily living just like all the others...

Tampax in, man up :)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Grab a tampon and get on with life.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I don't change anything If I'm extra tired, I may do a lighter workout or take another rest day, but that's about it. And that rarely happens. I just keep going like normal.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of menstrual cups? They work wonders. Like a tampon, but with no risk of TSS and you don't have to buy more of them ^_^

In lieu of a cup, throw in a tampon, get yo' sweat on, shower and change. The usual.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    i get horrible cramps ,headaches & very tired during my period and i still usually work out ...I might take an extra day off from it if im extra whiny or i might just lighten up the work out

oh and also some women say working out helps their cramps IT DOES NOT HELP MINE AT ALL THEY GET WORSE! so beware that might happen
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options

Has your menstrual cycle ever stopped you doing anything else? Going to work/school/out with friends/partying the night away? Probably not.
    Exercise is just as important and should be included to your normal activities of daily living just like all the others...

"man up"

no
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options

QFT
  • Everydayketo
    Everydayketo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think this is a legitimate question, and telling a woman to man up is so insulting! If your body is telling you to take a rest, rest. Try walking instead.

But, truly, I'll shout it from the mountaintops: DIVA CUP!!! DIVA CUPSSSSS!!!! That'll solve any bloody issue out there. pun intended.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If the tampons are uncomfortable, try another brand. If two are uncomfortable, go see the GYN. That's not normal. If sex is uncomfortable, too, see the GYN. None of that stuff should hurt - just FYI.

I double up on protection immediately before I leave the house and am good for at least a five mile walk or walk/jog mix.

I put swimming on hold until I'm able to do that again. (Some people can swim. I can't.)

There is usually a day (sometimes two) where I'll skip physical activity because I'm wiped out. If you put a gun to my head, Yeah, I could run. But since a gun isn't on me and I'm feeling awful, I chill. Not the end of the world. Not the end of anything.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Double up (fresh heavy duty tampon and a panty liner) right before you start and you should be good. I ran today with the world's worst period - it is seriously like Sharknado in my uterus right now.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    i get horrible cramps ,headaches & very tired during my period and i still usually work out ...I might take an extra day off from it if im extra whiny or i might just lighten up the work out

oh and also some women say working out helps their cramps IT DOES NOT HELP MINE AT ALL THEY GET WORSE! so beware that might happen

Yeah I'm with Bambi here. I take one day off if I need to. Really, sometimes your body needs a rest when it's dealing with other physical things.

*Once* I forgot and went for a long run on day 1. That really sucked.

• Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    It's just another day (or 3-4 days). I carry on with my usual routine as nothing happens. Keep moving :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »

"man up"

no

Fine- Vagina up- balls are sensitive anyway.
    It doesn't matter what you call it. Deal with it and move on.

Either way- it's seriously not that big of a deal to get the proper PPE and move on- or if you're in enough pain- where you're ENTIRE world stops- then obviously exercise is out of the question- then that's all there is to it.

I also am with Stef on this one- I don't understand how this comes up so often.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Nothing different. I've had 250 periods by now, I feel comfortable that I know what's gonna happen.
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I carry on as usual and it doesn't really affect my workouts. You'll be all right. ;)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    To be frank I am not sure why this question comes up so much....:noway:

It's part of life and life doesn't stop for it...I've been having a period for 33 years...while I was in school, army, college etc...you live life that's what you do...
    Did you know that for years and years and years it was understood that girls and women would NOT exercise during their periods? It was the norm to refrain.

That the ideology persists is just human nature. My own mother believed I shouldn't swim especially, but she also believed exertion was bad for your period.

Yoga teachers (some) still suggest we refrain from certain moves. They used to ALL tell us not to do certain moves (and always while I was half way into the position lol).