HELP!!!!!

Options
:noway: Kind of a weird problem, but.... I have been using MFP since January 8th, and have lost 73 pounds. However, I am freaking out because MY HAIR IS FALLING OUT... In handfuls! For the past few months, when I wash & condition my hair I typically run my fingers through it to distribute th product...I'm not pulling hard at all, in fact I'm being VERY careful to not pull on it. But it's still falling out. When I pull my hair back into a ponytail, it is half the thickness it used to be... NOT GOOD!!!!

My OB/GYN assures me it is not hormone related, as does my general doctor, in fact he did bloodwork to rule out thyroid or other health issues. My general Dr feels it is stress induced hairloss due to my weight loss and that it will eventually stop and regrow... He says it's just in the part of the growth cycle where it is not regenerating as fast as it's falling out.... In the mean time, it's still falling out... and I don't want to be bald...

I take a multivitamin and a fairly large dose of Biotin (for hair skin and nails) daily. I use a strengthening shampoo & conditioner that is supposed to help reduce breakage, and I don't use alot of other products on my hair. I do blow dry my hair and use a flat iron on my bangs, but I use both VERY sparingly because I don't want to damage what hair I have left.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to at least slow the hair loss, and ideally stimulate it to start regrowing? Heck If I can just keep what I have, I'd be satisfied until things start to regrow....

Has anyone else had this problem from their weightloss?

(No offense, but Men/Guys, please don't comment about your hair falling out unless it's from your weight loss... Male pattern baldness stories aren't really going to help here... :D)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if its a direct result of weight loss, eat at maintenance for a while?
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Im not quite at maintenance yet.... But my weight loss has slowed significantly in the past few months... I'm only losing maybe a pound a week at the most.
  • KristaPerseveres
    KristaPerseveres Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    From the American Academy of Dermatology on weight loss & hair loss correlation:

http://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/e---h/hair-loss/who-gets-causes

Weight loss: Some people see hair loss after losing more than 15 pounds. The hair loss often appears 3 to 6 months after losing the weight. This hair loss is common. The hair re-grows without help.

Vitamin A: Too much vitamin A can cause hair loss. People can get too much of this vitamin through vitamin supplements or medicines. Once the body stops getting too much vitamin A, normal hair growth resumes.

Protein: When the body does not get enough protein, it rations the protein it does get. One way the body can ration protein is to shut down hair growth. About 2 to 3 months after a person does not eat enough protein, you can see the hair loss. Eating more protein will stop the hair loss. Meats, eggs, and fish are good sources of protein. Vegetarians can get more protein by adding nuts, seeds, and beans to their diet.

Iron: Not getting enough iron can lead to hair loss. Good vegetarian sources of iron are iron-fortified cereals, soybeans, pumpkin seeds, white beans, lentils, and spinach. Clams, oysters, and organ meats top the list of good animal sources of iron.

Eating disorder: When a person has an eating disorder, hair loss is common. Anorexia (not eating enough) and bulimia (vomiting after eating) can cause hair loss.
  • KristaPerseveres
    KristaPerseveres Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've replaced my normal multi vitamin with a prenatal vitamin while I'm working on losing weight & weight training. It has higher levels of iron for sure. My nails have certainly benefited :-) I have normally thick hair and so everyday when I shower, it looks like a small puppy was sheared in my drain. You'd think I'd be bald by now. Hopefully it will just start regrowing on it's own now. Maybe try more iron and protein.
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    From the American Academy of Dermatology on weight loss & hair loss correlation:

http://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/e---h/hair-loss/who-gets-causes

Weight loss: Some people see hair loss after losing more than 15 pounds. The hair loss often appears 3 to 6 months after losing the weight. This hair loss is common. The hair re-grows without help.

Vitamin A: Too much vitamin A can cause hair loss. People can get too much of this vitamin through vitamin supplements or medicines. Once the body stops getting too much vitamin A, normal hair growth resumes.

Protein: When the body does not get enough protein, it rations the protein it does get. One way the body can ration protein is to shut down hair growth. About 2 to 3 months after a person does not eat enough protein, you can see the hair loss. Eating more protein will stop the hair loss. Meats, eggs, and fish are good sources of protein. Vegetarians can get more protein by adding nuts, seeds, and beans to their diet.

Iron: Not getting enough iron can lead to hair loss. Good vegetarian sources of iron are iron-fortified cereals, soybeans, pumpkin seeds, white beans, lentils, and spinach. Clams, oysters, and organ meats top the list of good animal sources of iron.

Eating disorder: When a person has an eating disorder, hair loss is common. Anorexia (not eating enough) and bulimia (vomiting after eating) can cause hair loss.

hey girl! :)

Interesting.... I have DEFINITLY lost more than 15 pounds.

Vitamin A... I'm often over my daily goal on that... Will adjust.
    Protien... Yeah, DEFINITLY NOT a vegetarian, and I typically meet or exceed my daily goal. But will watch that a bit closer.
    Iron... Haven't been paying as much attention to that as I should.
    Eating disorder.... Hmmm... I really don't think I have one. I eat, I enjoy food, I don't binge or purge, and although I weigh my food I eat normal portions and feel ZERO guilt or shame.

I guess I was just wondering if there was anything specific I could do, change, adjust, or take that would help at least slow the hair loss.
  • BabysBaby2003
    BabysBaby2003 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have thinning hair from thyroid issues and just found this product by Rusk called Thick. You spray it all over your hair after shampoo/conditioning and style as normal. I have long hair and actually had to reduce the amount I was using b/c it made my hair seem too thick. Maybe that will help along with what you already do. Also, there are products for womens thinning hair. The brand name is Nioxin. Check Amazon or salons. Hope they help!
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    I've replaced my normal multi vitamin with a prenatal vitamin while I'm working on losing weight & weight training. It has higher levels of iron for sure. My nails have certainly benefited :-) I have normally thick hair and so everyday when I shower, it looks like a small puppy was sheared in my drain. You'd think I'd be bald by now. Hopefully it will just start regrowing on it's own now. Maybe try more iron and protein.

I think I'll try that. Heck it can't hurt.

My drain looks like a gorilla got sucked down it. I have to "pull the gorilla" as hubby and I call it about once a week or it clogs up.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Don't you hate it when men talk about losing hair, like it's even close to the same for a guy? So not!

I lost lots and lots of hair due to my thyroid and the lazy doctor who didn't run the full panel and said it was "all" normal. Some people say their hair came back. My stylist said she's seen it happen. Mine never did. It's depressing chit. It really is.

I won't pay for the scams and can't take the prescription stuff. Considered wigs, but it's more work than I want to do, plus I'd be bald when I swam.

I have no help. Just sympathy. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Considering most days you barely eat 1200 calories, i suspect you have some malnutrition occurring. Since you dont have much weight to lose, you should be increasing your intake, especially foods that are high in fats and nutrients. It's very common to have skin or hair issues when you arent getting adequate fatty acids. So bump up your intake by another 300 calories and make it come from fats, veggies and fruits.
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    Kaikel, Thanks...It's nice to not be alone in this too. I'm almost to the point of considering a hair peice. You know the ones on a big elastic loop... Just really would like to have my own hair though.
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    Considering most days you barely eat 1200 calories, i suspect you have some malnutrition occurring. Since you dont have much weight to lose, you should be increasing your intake, especially foods that are high in fats and nutrients. It's very common to have skin or hair issues when you arent getting adequate fatty acids. So bump up your intake by another 300 calories and make it come from fats, veggies and fruits.

I think you need to loo at my logs a little closer. I'm usually alot closer to my goal than that. My Dr, whom I trust 1000000% says I am NOT malnourished, and that I do not need to adjust or bump my intake. He has seen all of my logs and has been monitoring my weight loss closely.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I think you need to loo at my logs a little closer. I'm usually alot closer to my goal than that.

I did look, i am suggesting your goal is low. As you become smaller, you need to have a smaller goal. If you exercise, you need to eat more calories. If you want, post your height, weight, age, workout routine and if you have medical issues and we can help evaluate your goal.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Also, I see your edits, how much education has your dr. had in nutrition? I have had several friends that are doctors and none of them have the knowledge i do.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fitness-tips/when-dieting-and-exercise-hurt-your-health?s=2

http://www.webmd.boots.com/diet/low-calorie-diets

BTW, if you do a google search, there are many threads on this. While you may not be malnourished, you may not be getting the adequate nutrients required to have healthy hair.
  • Archerychickge
    Options

I think you need to loo at my logs a little closer. I'm usually alot closer to my goal than that.

I did look, i am suggesting your goal is low. As you become smaller, you need to have a smaller goal. If you exercise, you need to eat more calories. If you want, post your height, weight, age, workout routine and if you have medical issues and we can help evaluate your goal.

Also, I see your edits, how much education has your dr. had in nutrition? I have had several friends that are doctors and none of them have the knowledge i do.

Sorry dearie, but until you have an MD after your name, I'm going to keep trusting my Dr... Actually, I have been seeing a team of Dr's over the past few years over some health issues (now almost completley resolved) and they all say I'm doing exactly what I should. My primary care physician DOES have plenty of education in nutrition. Thats part of the reason I see him. My oldest sister also saw him before she had gastric bypass surgery, and she chose him based partly on his education in nutrition. She had heard all kinds of horror stories about Drs that were not well versed in nutrition attempting to treat GB patients post surgery and they had no clue about the pre and post op requirements of said patients. So yeah, I'm on that.

As for your request for more info... I'm 5'6", 176.8 (as of this morning), active (I golf, shoot archery competitively, hike, canoe, and am generally quite active, but I LOATHE going to the gym. Too many lunks), I do have PCOS (a mild case) and endometriosos (both of which are managed quite nicely with an IUD). Anything else I missed?
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Sorry dearie, but until you have an MD after your name, I'm going to keep trusting my Dr... Actually, I have been seeing a team of Dr's over the past few years over some health issues (now almost completley resolved) and they all say I'm doing exactly what I should. My primary care physician DOES have plenty of education in nutrition. Thats part of the reason I see him. My oldest sister also saw him before she had gastric bypass surgery, and she chose him based partly on his education in nutrition. She had heard all kinds of horror stories about Drs that were not well versed in nutrition attempting to treat GB patients post surgery and they had no clue about the pre and post op requirements of said patients. So yeah, I'm on that.

As for your request for more info... I'm 5'6", 176.8 (as of this morning), active (I golf, shoot archery competitively, hike, canoe, and am generally quite active, but I LOATHE going to the gym. Too many lunks), I do have PCOS (a mild case) and endometriosos (both of which are managed quite nicely with an IUD). Anything else I missed?

WOW, no good deed goes unpunished.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Do you have a hairdresser you trust? For special occasions, I go to a pro and she knows all the vitamin, supplement, Moroccan oil, special shampoo stuff. She's independent, too, so not pushing one brand over another. Just a thought. I've been using an oil to treat breakage and massaging my scalp once a day to stimulate growth. It seems to be helping. My problem was my roots would be an inch long, but my hair wasn't any longer, so I knew something was going on. I've always shed like a collie, though. I would think with all the meat that iron wouldn't be low for you, but I'm no expert.
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    cookmtn, sorry if I came across snarky... I am the kind of person who speaks my mind without worrying too much if it offends someone... I just really dislike it when people assume that I haven't considered that my Dr needs to be qualified or that I'm not under the care of a Dr during my weight loss journey. The other poster may very well be qualified, but I don't know them or their education as well as I know my Dr's.

As for upping my intake, probly not going to happen. As I said, I'm under the care of at least 3-4 Dr's for various things, and have consulted with them regularly during the process. I have been VERY open with them about this process and they all assure me that I am doing what I need to stay healthy and maintain my weight loss. So if it ain't broke...

My current rate of weight loss is definitly in keeping with, if not a bit slower than the other poster suggested is correct for someone who has 10ish pounds left to lose. I don't "workout" but am very active. I loathe the gym because of all the "experts" who want to constantly tell me what I'm doing wrong or should do in addition to my current routine. I've tried the gym route, Not for me.
  • psuLemon
    Options

So if you are not willing to take advice from others on a forum, especially who are experienced, why even ask a question. This type of response suggest you are not willing to take that advice, especially since I am not a doctor? In fact, I barely know anyone on here who is a doctor. But hey, I am only providing you with my experience through thousands of threads.

Also, since you have PCOS, I am rather surprised you don't follow a LCHF diet. Generally, that is one of the first things OBGYNS/Endocrinologist suggest, even if you don't have
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    Do you have a hairdresser you trust? For special occasions, I go to a pro and she knows all the vitamin, supplement, Moroccan oil, special shampoo stuff. She's independent, too, so not pushing one brand over another. Just a thought. I've been using an oil to treat breakage and massaging my scalp once a day to stimulate growth. It seems to be helping. My problem was my roots would be an inch long, but my hair wasn't any longer, so I knew something was going on. I've always shed like a collie, though. I would think with all the meat that iron wouldn't be low for you, but I'm no expert.

No, I really don't... I should but I don't cut my hair that often... like once every 4-6 months... I trim my bangs myself. To be honest I can't stand the idea of paying someone the kind of money the hairdressers around here charge. Maybe I need to change my thinnking on that though...

I'll look into it.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'm experiencing more hair loss than usual too and I've only lost a fraction of what you have! I do have a friend who said that the Pantene Age Defy products reduced the amount of hair she was losing in the shower. I am going to give that a try, it's worth a shot I guess!