HELP!!!!!

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yeah the LCHF was ugly for me and even worse for my husband. It got to the point where he begged me to eat some carbs... Once I did, I went back to my normal sunny disposition.... LOL

I know I should eat alot more veggies than I do even now. Before I started MFP I got 1 maybe 2 servings of veggies or fruit per day. Now I'm usually at 3 or so. Is there room for improvement? Sure, but at least I'm doing better than before. Thankfully I take a multivitamin to supplement what I'm lacking from my food. I know that's not ideal but it's still better than nothing.

I know an additional 300 calories won't make me fat. But it may slow my progress considerably over time. To give you an idea of where I started... I have always been fat. even as a child. I struggled with my weight my entire life. But it wasn't until it started really playing havoc on my health and preventing me from doing the things I love to do that I got up off my giagantic tushy and decided to DO SOMETHING about it. Enter MFP. It gave me hope. It gave me guidelines, It gave me accountability. And it gave me my life back.

So forgive me if I'm really hesitant to change up what is FINALLY working for me. Yup. I eat at a pretty significant deficit almost every day. Will I need to adjust that once I go to the maintanence routine, Sure. I'm not sure exactly how that will play out but I'll consult with my doctors and figure that out all the while using MFP to keep on track. Why? because I KNOW it works.

Of course the additional 300 calories would slow down progress, but we are talking about 1/2 lb per week less. But at the same time, it gives you greater availability of nutrients which could solve this issue. Another thing to consider is that large deficits will increase the chances of muscle loss and metabolic adaptation (your bodies ability to burn calories more efficiently). Heck, you could increase your intake for a few weeks to see what kind of results you are getting. If it stops the problem, you drop back down. I can understand your fears... but if you are afraid to slow down progress, how will you ever make a leap to maintenance? But I do have a questions, what is your average weight loss?
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Yeah the LCHF was ugly for me and even worse for my husband. It got to the point where he begged me to eat some carbs... Once I did, I went back to my normal sunny disposition.... LOL

I know I should eat alot more veggies than I do even now. Before I started MFP I got 1 maybe 2 servings of veggies or fruit per day. Now I'm usually at 3 or so. Is there room for improvement? Sure, but at least I'm doing better than before. Thankfully I take a multivitamin to supplement what I'm lacking from my food. I know that's not ideal but it's still better than nothing.

I know an additional 300 calories won't make me fat. But it may slow my progress considerably over time. To give you an idea of where I started... I have always been fat. even as a child. I struggled with my weight my entire life. But it wasn't until it started really playing havoc on my health and preventing me from doing the things I love to do that I got up off my giagantic tushy and decided to DO SOMETHING about it. Enter MFP. It gave me hope. It gave me guidelines, It gave me accountability. And it gave me my life back.

So forgive me if I'm really hesitant to change up what is FINALLY working for me. Yup. I eat at a pretty significant deficit almost every day. Will I need to adjust that once I go to the maintanence routine, Sure. I'm not sure exactly how that will play out but I'll consult with my doctors and figure that out all the while using MFP to keep on track. Why? because I KNOW it works.

Of course the additional 300 calories would slow down progress, but we are talking about 1/2 lb per week less. But at the same time, it gives you greater availability of nutrients which could solve this issue. Another thing to consider is that large deficits will increase the chances of muscle loss and metabolic adaptation (your bodies ability to burn calories more efficiently). Heck, you could increase your intake for a few weeks to see what kind of results you are getting. If it stops the problem, you drop back down. I can understand your fears... but if you are afraid to slow down progress, how will you ever make a leap to maintenance? But I do have a questions, what is your average weight loss?

Lately it's been about 1 pound every 2 weeks or so.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Lately it's been about 1 pound every 2 weeks or so.

Depending on how long that has been occurring, the means your TDEE or maintenance is now 1500. For an active person that is really low. Having said that, its possible there has been some metabolic adaptation, or it's possible there are some water retention from activities, so it would be hard to say. But to give you perspective, the average women I know who is rather active loses weight at 1700 -2100 calories, so they maintain at 2200+.

Having said that, have your doctors ever discussed a diet break?
  • MLReid13
    Options
    :noway: Kind of a weird problem, but.... I have been using MFP since January 8th, and have lost 73 pounds. However, I am freaking out because MY HAIR IS FALLING OUT... In handfuls! For the past few months, when I wash & condition my hair I typically run my fingers through it to distribute th product...I'm not pulling hard at all, in fact I'm being VERY careful to not pull on it. But it's still falling out. When I pull my hair back into a ponytail, it is half the thickness it used to be... NOT GOOD!!!!

My OB/GYN assures me it is not hormone related, as does my general doctor, in fact he did bloodwork to rule out thyroid or other health issues. My general Dr feels it is stress induced hairloss due to my weight loss and that it will eventually stop and regrow... He says it's just in the part of the growth cycle where it is not regenerating as fast as it's falling out.... In the mean time, it's still falling out... and I don't want to be bald...

I take a multivitamin and a fairly large dose of Biotin (for hair skin and nails) daily. I use a strengthening shampoo & conditioner that is supposed to help reduce breakage, and I don't use alot of other products on my hair. I do blow dry my hair and use a flat iron on my bangs, but I use both VERY sparingly because I don't want to damage what hair I have left.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to at least slow the hair loss, and ideally stimulate it to start regrowing? Heck If I can just keep what I have, I'd be satisfied until things start to regrow....

Has anyone else had this problem from their weightloss?

(No offense, but Men/Guys, please don't comment about your hair falling out unless it's from your weight loss... Male pattern baldness stories aren't really going to help here... :D)

I know you don't want to hear about hair falling out unless it's weight loss related, but sometimes weight loss can reveal an underlying condition you didn't know you had.

A good friend of mine was around 250 pounds from her early twenties until she started a weight loss program in her mid forties. After the 70 pound mark, she noticed her hair falling out. She thought it was weight loss related.

Long story short, after trying every vitamin/supplement combo possible and the doctors running every test from basic bloodwork to intensive metabolic panels (and even MRIs, xrays, etc), it turns out she had late onset alopecia. The doctors think that her high fat/high calorie diet may have stunted the disease but a healthy lifestyle uncovered it.

I'm not saying that's what you have, but I am saying that your weight loss (great job by the way!) may have uncovered something you had all along.

In the meantime, Italians and Greeks that I have known for years swear by adding olive oil to their diet and putting olive oil in their hair once a week for ten minutes. They say this goes back generations and it helps with hair thinning and hair loss.
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    No. my Dr's have not suggested a break from my dietary changes. (I don't really like calling what i'm doing a "diet" per se because it gives the conotation that I'm cutting out foods, or using some fad diet... I'm not. I'm just learning how to have a healthier relationship with food and not to overindulge. It's a process, not a "diet".) Honestly, when people start talking in acronyms, I kind of tune out. What the heck is a TDEE, and why can't we just spell it out so people who aren't "in the know" can understand? Kind of a pet peeve of mine I guess... It's kind of like the old Charlie Brown cartoons when the grown ups start speaking, all you hear is "wah wah wah wah..." ;)

I don't know the "average" women you know. How average are they? Have they ever been 250+ pounds? Also, what do you consider to be active? Perhaps my activity level isn't the same as theirs, maybe it's more, I don't know... we may be comparing apples to kumquats... if we are, then how do I decide, if I should be at 1200, 1500, 2000 or whatever, other than following the advice of my Dr's?

Actually I'm quite open to other ideas about what may or may not be causing it. But I'm pretty confident in the fact that my Dr's have considered the possiblility since we discussed alopecia and it's different forms during my last apppointment.

What this all boils down to is I really don't want to resort to wearing my old clown wig... (yes, I really was a clown for a living years ago. I'd rather be bald. lol)
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    TDEE stands for daily calories to maintain weight
    There is a system to finding out how many calories you need to gain, maintain or lose weight. Honestly I think your calorie deficit is to high and you're lacking nutrients that you need (which is why your hair is falling out), not only that your sodium levels are way way to high, while not scientifically proven so far there is speculation that prolonged high sodium diets can lead to hair loss.

Here is a great site that takes more about TDEE, basic metabolic rates etc (and there is a calculator there as well that will tell you your numbers):http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    Yeah, so how in the flipping world could anyone get "daily calories to maintain weight " from "TDEE"???? sorry, I just think acronyms are stupid and often confusing. Especially this one.

Honestly, that sounds like a pain the a**... or PITA for those who like acronyms... LOL But I'll look at it and try to have an open mind. But I'm not good with math and if there are conversions to be made with what I'm doing here on MFP, I probly won't even attempt it.

Just being honest.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You are still losing at least a pound per week. That is too much of a calorie deficit.

It is completely natural for your weight loss to slow down as you get closer to goal, you gradually eat a little bit more as you go towards maintenance. You don't crash diet and eat the same amount as when you started your weight loss. Well you can, but you have undesirable side effects, like losing your hair.
  • shexy16
    Options
    I feel bad about the hair loss, but you came here and asked for advice, and people are giving it. You hate their answers and swear your doctor knows everything, so ask your doctor what to do. Simple.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Eat more than 1200 cals/day, much more! make sure you are getting enough fat and all your vitamins and minerals
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    I feel bad about the hair loss, but you came here and asked for advice, and people are giving it. You hate their answers and swear your doctor knows everything, so ask your doctor what to do. Simple.

Um.. no. I don't hate everythign people are saying. Did you actually READ the entire thread or just skim?

I think I've been fairly open to ideas and suggestions.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I looked at a week and a half of your diary and saw precious few fruits and vegetables -- practically none. This might be part of the problem.
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    I looked at a week and a half of your diary and saw precious few fruits and vegetables -- practically none. This might be part of the problem.

Maybe...The past few weeks haven't been the best I'll admit. But the problem has been ongoing for a few months now.
  • shexy16
    Options

Um.. no. I don't hate everythign people are saying. Did you actually READ the entire thread or just skim?

I read some, then skimmed, cause it was getting repetitive. I mean, you asked for advice and got it, but I don't know why since your doctor already knows everything in the world....ask your doctor!
  • SashaJaneJ
    SashaJaneJ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Go get some Biotin. I started taking it when I started my weightloss because my hair was coming out.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    All vitamins are important for hair health. Also iron, and minerals such as selenium, copper, iodine, zinc and magnesium.

Have you asked your doctor about the hair loss specifically? Has the doctor run a screening for all of the above?

Eating a little bit more of healthy foods seems like an obvious solution. Keep in mind that the hair cycle takes a few months so it may take time to see improvement.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If I was losing my hair at the rate you say you are I would up my calories and see if it stopped, really if you do it for a couple of weeks and it helps then you would know. I guess having hair is more important to me than racing through weight loss.

I am in the same boat as others, 1,200 calories is too low for someone who is super active and your body is telling you that by eliminating your hair.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    without reading all the posts it looks like you use a LOT of sugar free creamer. the artificial sugars in that can wreak havoc in your body including hair loss. you also need to drink more water you havent logged that at all, and you arent eating enough like a bunch of other people stated.you are also only having coffee for breakfast a lot of the time and seem to be eating a lot of processed foods.you also go from 1500 calories one day to 1200 another then back and forth. why is that?

I would stick to the 1500 calories and stop the sugar free creamer to see if that makes a difference. most Drs I have talked too have said to make sure you get at least 1200(for those not very active) calories BUT the more active you are the more your body needs. its not rocket science.I may not be the healthiest eater myself but a lot of processed foods can cause health issues.why would you eat sugary foods yet make your creamer sugar free? why not just use regular creamer?
  • Archerychickge
    Options

I read some, then skimmed, cause it was getting repetitive. I mean, you asked for advice and got it, but I don't know why since your doctor already knows everything in the world....ask your doctor!

I suggest you read the whole thread then. you missed some important stuff.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Considering most days you barely eat 1200 calories, i suspect you have some malnutrition occurring. Since you dont have much weight to lose, you should be increasing your intake, especially foods that are high in fats and nutrients. It's very common to have skin or hair issues when you arent getting adequate fatty acids. So bump up your intake by another 300 calories and make it come from fats, veggies and fruits.

I think you need to loo at my logs a little closer. I'm usually alot closer to my goal than that.

I did look, i am suggesting your goal is low. As you become smaller, you need to have a smaller goal. If you exercise, you need to eat more calories. If you want, post your height, weight, age, workout routine and if you have medical issues and we can help evaluate your goal.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Also, I see your edits, how much education has your dr. had in nutrition? I have had several friends that are doctors and none of them have the knowledge i do.

Sorry dearie, but until you have an MD after your name, I'm going to keep trusting my Dr... Actually, I have been seeing a team of Dr's over the past few years over some health issues (now almost completley resolved) and they all say I'm doing exactly what I should. My primary care physician DOES have plenty of education in nutrition. Thats part of the reason I see him. My oldest sister also saw him before she had gastric bypass surgery, and she chose him based partly on his education in nutrition. She had heard all kinds of horror stories about Drs that were not well versed in nutrition attempting to treat GB patients post surgery and they had no clue about the pre and post op requirements of said patients. So yeah, I'm on that.

As for your request for more info... I'm 5'6", 176.8 (as of this morning), active (I golf, shoot archery competitively, hike, canoe, and am generally quite active, but I LOATHE going to the gym. Too many lunks), I do have PCOS (a mild case) and endometriosos (both of which are managed quite nicely with an IUD). Anything else I missed?

Just wondering why you came to the forums for advice when you have all these doctors you trust?