BCAA's - Favorite Brand?

Options
2»

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I use Modern BCAA. Also, for yumminess, there are BCAA's in muscle milk and the chocolate is so good!
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Being in Canada I like the BCAA's from Canada Protein company, Good price and fast shipping etc.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    All the BCAA's you'll ever need are in meat of any kind. Supplement makers market this crap for pure profit. Spend your money on quality food.

Maybe some people don't want to have a steak before their 5 AM FASTED workout. BCAA's work, pure and simple.
  • Raaneve
    Raaneve Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    *bump for later
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16365095

Also...

"Why: Low calorie protein source that stimulates protein synthesis, spikes plasma amino acid levels quickly, and provides nutrients that are preferentially metabolized by skeletal muscle instead of the liver and small intestine. Citrulline malate has been shown to also increase protein synthesis and offers some fatigue resistance." - Jordan Feigenbaum (if you don't know who this is, Google him)

XTend is the bomb on taste.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    It's your money.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I use Purple Wraath. Purple Lemonade is an acquired taste for sure but you can find it cheap.
  • satisatisati
    satisatisati Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hey, guys!

I started weight-lifting earlier in the year & now I'm ready to take it up a notch... I understand that BCAA's can help me maintain muscle mass - especially when I'm watching my calorie intake & working out in a fasted state. I have a friend who sells Advocare & swears by the Catalyst product. But, that Advocare stuff is so overpriced!!! Anyways, I'm just curious to know if anyone has a BCAA brand that you swear by....? (Has anyone tried the Advocare Catalyst? Is it worth the price?)

Thanks a TON!!! :)

Hi I am new to weight training. My gym coach suggested me to add a BCAA during my workout. I bought Scivation Xtend BCAA Grape escape.
    Could you please tell me its advantages and disadvantages.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Xtend Scivation. It's the OG of BCAA's. cheap, tastes good.

If you train fasted, then yes, BCAA's are a good idea. Make sure whatever BCAA mix you use has at least 3g of Leucine. Leucine is easily the most important amino and the one proven to trigger protein synthesis. 3g is the amount proven by clinical studies.

Yup. Honestly, I don't know why anybody would take multiple servings throughout the day. If you're taking a Whey supplement not to mention eating lean protein sources, you're getting plenty of amino's in the protein. I think before and maybe during training is the optimal time for these. During training is debatable because MPS is shut-down during a contraction anyway.

Taking them at night before bed has been recommended since you'll be going so long without food. Especially if you're gonna do fasted workout the next morning, might not be a bad idea to have them with your shake before bed and then by themselves the next morning. At least, that's what I do.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys!!! I just put in my order for Scivation Xtend Nutritional Supplement, Mango Nectar. Around $24 on Amazon & free two-day shipping... You can't beat that! ;)

So far I've stuck with the cheap and unflavored (I mix with a pre-workout powder before fasted cardio). BodyTech has 66 servings for $27, although I can't remember if the ratio is 3:1:1, I think it may be. I just bought True Athlete because Vitamin Shoppe had a buy one get one half off deal. So I'm just looking for deals like that. I got 60 servings for $30 with that purchase and the ratio is 4:1:1. A lot of people have to have flavored since the pure BCAA tastes so gross. I completely understand, I just want the most bang for my buck so I'm willing to go through the taste issue. I'm gonna check out these recommendations here to see how the prices and serving amounts compare.