Strong reaction to public humiliation = Over sensitive

Options
So since I moved to the south I'm "targeted" less and less, which is awesome. People making snide remarks or just generally not minding their business is becoming few and far between. Today was not the case.

I was trying to decide between two different chocolates. "TOM" is visiting and one of the few times I'll have GOOD chocolate is during this particular time of the month. It is all logged. Whatever.

From the corner of my eye I saw a young-ish and pretty attractive marine approach me. He just stood there for a minute then said...

" If you're GOING to eat chocolate anyway, you should try skinny cow. There's less calories."

W...T...F ?

I blush really easily. I could tell my face was probably dark dark dark red. First instinct was I should just start crying. I'm emotional, I'm having cravings, I don't want to be in public with the other half dozen people in this aisle hearing what he just said to me. But no, I took a deep breath, turned to him and said "Listen. I know you think you're helping. But you don't know me. I'm a stranger. You don't know that I've already lost 80 lbs and continue to lose. You don't know that I count calories. And you apparently don't know that it's just rude to approach anyone publicly like this the way you just did to me. Just thought you should know that before you try to pull this on anyone else."

I turned back to the chocolate, but the guy actually scoffed and said "Really? Good luck being sensitive all your life. Jesus." then started walking away. I said "I'm not sensitive. I'm being stern with someone who obviously has no home training. Have a nice day." The last part I half shouted since he was already walking down the aisle and he just waved me off. But at that point we had already gotten a few looks from other people. I don't care. I'm tired of the people who think that they're doing "us" a favor. You're not. My life is not your business. If you're not my doctor or my significant other, please stay out of it unless I invite you. Thanks.

Happy Friday people -noms on chocolate-

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Good for you for speaking up! Most people would not have had the courage to say anything.
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Awesome job. Seriously.
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    sorry that happened, but good for you for telling that a-hole off. too bad he handled it the way he did tho, seems like his parents and the corps both missed the boat with him. also, remember that while you will improve yourself..........he'll always be an a-hole.

good luck!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    This is cool
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Good job keeping under control. I'd have just said STFU and ignored him. Peeps need to mind their own business.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    Go you!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    MOST excellent rebuttal. You stood up for yourself, without getting hysterical. You were not overly sensitive at all. I probably would have spat in his face and asked him how many calories were in THAT.
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Agree, he was rude!

But, was it possible that this was his very stupid, awkward, rude, silly attempt to strike up a conversation and possilby flirt with you?

No matter the reason, it was very rude of him.
  • stonegirldancing42
    Options
    You responded PERFECTLY! <3 Thanks so much for sharing and amazing how well you got the words out.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Awesome Awesomeness!! good for you for standing up to the a-hole!!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Nice job...and congrats on the weight loss.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    That guy was a total doucherocket :explode:

You handled him with a whole lotta class!!!

Good for you!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Nice job. I don't know you but I'm proud of you!
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I would have outright told him, "Hey, bud. I'm on my period right now, which means I'm feeling rather homicidal at the moment. You look like a great target. If you don't want me to practice my cutting skills, I'd suggest that you let me purchase my chocolate and get the HELL out of my way."

But I'm a jerk like that. :love:

(Hope you're feeling better!)
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Agree, he was rude!

But, was it possible that this was his very stupid, awkward, rude, silly attempt to strike up a conversation and possilby flirt with you?

No matter the reason, it was very rude of him.

LOL that's one I didn't think of!
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Good for you hun! Some people just need to be told.
    Keep on taking care of you, you're doing great!

73529108.png
  • volleygirl1980
    volleygirl1980 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Wow! You go girl:) I would have been too shocked to say anything...

I can't believe how rude people can be:( I'm fortunate enough to never have received such comments...but one of my bestfriends recently told me that she secretly judges overweight people..which makes me wonder what she thinks about me..

She's averaged size (normal BMI), yet her parents have always been on her case about eating. Even now, at 35, if she's in town for a visit, she'll stay at her parents and we'll usually go to our favorite pie place - but she can't bring herself to tell her parents where we're going because she's afraid they'll judge...so sad:(
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Good for you girl!! No one is entitled to judge or tell you what you should be doing with your life.

You're a star! :drinker:
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Wow. I'm sorry you found him rude. Good for you for sticking up for yourself. Though I've done that before not in exactly that way but did tell a diabetic I liked the stouffer's sugar free candy.
    I also wonder if he wasn't trying to flirt?
  • Makterbro
    Makterbro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You go girl! I'm so glad you spoke up for yourself. There are too many *kitten* in this world who think they can get away criticizing people who are total strangers who they know nothing about. You've worked hard and eating chocolate during that time of the month is something you deserve. Even if you weren't trying to lose weight, it is none of his business. If anything, he is the oversensitive one.