Strong reaction to public humiliation = Over sensitive

Options

Replies

• JennyCallanan
    JennyCallanan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    that's insane! congrats on speaking up!!! People need to learn to mind their own business. I don't even know if i would have handled this as good as you did!! awesome job! :smile:
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I would bet he was trying to hit on you and just failed spectacularly. I'm not saying that he wasn't a jerk -- he absolutely WAS -- but maybe he was trying to strike up a conversation instead of humiliate you. I'd rather think that someone was trying to talk to me and is just the WORST ever at talking to women instead of thinking that they were trying to be cruel. (Plus, if he was trying to get a reaction from you, I don't think he would've backed off so quickly. He probably would've said something even meaner after you spoke up).
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Agree, he was rude!

But, was it possible that this was his very stupid, awkward, rude, silly attempt to strike up a conversation and possilby flirt with you?

No matter the reason, it was very rude of him.

LOL that's one I didn't think of!

If so, now he knows better than to ever bring up calories or other weight related subjects when trying to hit on a girl! LOL
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I was trying to decide between two different chocolates. "TOM" is visiting and one of the few times I'll have GOOD chocolate is during this particular time of the month. It is all logged. Whatever.

Happy Friday people -noms on chocolate-

What kind did you get? Please tell me it's something GOOD :heart:

ETA: I kind of want chocolate now....
  • DrewInPR
    DrewInPR Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Boom went the dynamite.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Errrrrm....I'd have just said "thanks!", and continued to make my own choice.

I don't think he was aiming to be rude.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Agree, he was rude!

But, was it possible that this was his very stupid, awkward, rude, silly attempt to strike up a conversation and possilby flirt with you?

I thought this too. But what a way to start up a conversation - by suggesting a diet food. Ugh. Lesson one in "How to Remain Single For the Rest of Your Life 101."

Seriously though, I thought your response was priceless.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOD!! You are awesomeness times one hundred!!! Good for you.

I'm sure he left because you really got him good. You were perfection. The best thing is to always be prepared, especially when you think you may be in a confrontation. You have just given everybody that reads this the ammunition they need should this situation ever happen to them.

Do not ever change a thing about you, you are wonderful.
  • Jessica_Eve
    Jessica_Eve Posts: 47 Member
    Options

My first thought. I guess we're in the minority.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I'm glad you spoke up. He was clearly very rude and was not expecting a reaction like you gave him.

I ate chocolate for breakfast today. Whatevs...
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Oh give the guy a break! He's just using the personality the marines gave him
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    What a jerk.
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    That was such a kick a** response! I can never think like that on my feet, I would have mumbled and walked away and then gotten mad at myself later for not speaking up. good for you- what a strength that is to stand up for yourself.

And he WAS being rude. Why should a stranger ever suggest such a thing? Sure, if he said the caramel is my favorite or something along those lies it would be ok. But he was saying that the OP should be eating diet food. Total jerk move.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

Perhaps not, but if you are learning to be more confident in yourself and your own decisions, then it's a pretty big step to be able to rationally tell someone how you feel. Would I have said anything? Probably not, but if this was something I had faced in the past, as the OP stated she did, then good on her for having the courage to speak up.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Came back to this thread after it occured to me that perhaps the guy was actually trying to flirt and has like no skills in this area. I see others had the same idea as well. Just to note the last time I got picked up in a grocery aisle it was by a fireman (#humblebrag) and he had the good sense to look at the haircutting magazine I was looking at and say to me, "If you're thinking of cutting your hair, DON'T, it looks REAL nice the way it is". On a rainy day. When I had fruzzy hair. That's hair so frizzy it's fuzzy. I was also dressed like a hefty bag in sweats due to the rain but as he explained later. (on our date) "Girl I have x-ray vision for sweats and puffy jackets I knew all what was under there. And plus your hair can never look bad no matter what you may think."

#thatsflirting
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Perhaps not, but if you are learning to be more confident in yourself and your own decisions, then it's a pretty big step to be able to rationally tell someone how you feel. Would I have said anything? Probably not, but if this was something I had faced in the past, as the OP stated she did, then good on her for having the courage to speak up.

This is a good point. Today I would scoff at such a remark and give him a quick "what a douche" look and turn away. There was a time when I was learning to speak up for myself and this would have been an enormous victory for me to say my piece in a rational way with no devolving into stammering, tears, or the like.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options

What kind did you get? Please tell me it's something GOOD :heart:

ETA: I kind of want chocolate now....

Ghirardelli sea salt soiree (dark chocolate with sea salt and roasted almonds) :]
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Yay, good for you!! :flowerforyou:

I blush/get embarrassed REALLY easily also so I know the feeling, I'm so proud of you for standing up for yourself!

And I'm going to memorize your response should that ever happen to me. :happy: Hopefully not, though. I'm 5'10" and built like a linebacker, most people won't approach me even though I'm actually really timid. :laugh:
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

This is a good point. Today I would scoff at such a remark and give him a quick "what a douche" look and turn away. There was a time when I was learning to speak up for myself and this would have been an enormous victory for me to say my piece in a rational way with no devolving into stammering, tears, or the like.

Exactly my thoughts. Good for OP for speaking up for herself. All in all, I think the comment was meant to be helpful, but I wouldn't exactly be thanking the heavens for this dude's comment.

Also, marines can be blunt, to the point, and dgaf. So it may have been meant to be helpful, but his delivery...not so hot. Especially after your unexpected comeback lol.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options

That's exactly what I mean/how I feel. The fact is I've been obese my entire life. MY ENTIRE LIFE. I've had almost 30 years of just staying quiet, going home and crying alone in my room. Lately I've felt like I should speak up. Maybe not as harshly as I did this morning. Who knows, if I wasn't on my period maybe the conversation would've become a little more lighthearted LOL. But I've spent enough time in my life silent, or half-heartedly nodding in agreement because of how often I was bullied when I was younger. I've only recently started thinking for myself and loving myself.