Does anyone use a "spoon scale"?

Options
I saw this thing while I was on kijiji looking for a food scale - it's a spoon that measures grams. It sounds way easier than a scale (just scoop the food into your bowl) but maybe there's a hitch? Advice? Reviews?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine how anything would be easier than a food scale with a tare function (which they probably all have anyway).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Looks just like a gadgety spoon. It has to lay still on a flat surface just like a normal scale to weigh properly. It can weigh down to tenths of grams, though, but for nutritional purposes that must be overkill...
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Maybe for spices or butter? If the spoon is small, I don't see how this would be practical for anything but that.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    where it make it easy to measure peanut butter?
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    never heard of it. I love using my food scale though. It measures liquid, ounces and is much more accurate to me then trusting the the serving suggestions of say a medium potato, or any other generic calorie amount given to vegetables.
  • Trishkon
    Trishkon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh well darn, if it has to lay flat there's not much point. I was thinking of just measuring while I served. Too good to be true ????
  • laurenjill
    laurenjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale with a tare option? I always tare out my jar of PB(with the lid off), then use the negative measurement from what I take out with a spoon/knife. I also do that for mayo/ketchup/jelly/ etc. Saves some time, and less dishes since I'm not using a measuring utensil!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale with a tare option? I always tare out my jar of PB(with the lid off), then use the negative measurement from what I take out with a spoon/knife. I also do that for mayo/ketchup/jelly/ etc. Saves some time, and less dishes since I'm not using a measuring utensil!

I do that too. And then I can lick the spoon without "guilt", that saves food too.