Egg muffins destroying all my pans

Options
Cardio4Cupcakes
Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
I've made egg muffins (mini frittatas for the fancy) a few times before and love how simple and easy it is. But they keep destroying my pans! I've greased them, used liners (huge fail), tried DIFFERENT greasing methods and I can't get these damn pans clean.

How do you all do it? I've soaked them for days, tried different brushes etc. No dice.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I tried liners too... Now I make crustless quiches and cut a piece.
  • Icoza87
    Icoza87 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just use an olive oil cooking spray & non stock pans and I've never had any issues at all
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    :creeps:
  • Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have never had issues with that I'm italian and make a lot of frittatas, maybe you are using way to high heat my eggs rarely stick to my pans
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I spray the bejesus out of my pans with cooking spray. It might add a few extra calories, but the egg muffins come out.
  • cecesquats
    cecesquats Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    maybe you could try silicone liners instead of paper ones?
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I've made mini crustless quiches in my muffin pans and never had any issue. :( Good luck!
  • kristijohnson1
    kristijohnson1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have two suggestions for you. If you can't buy new pans at this time, try soaking the pans with a dryer sheet in them before you wash them. Works wonders.

Second suggestion is, if you can buy new pans get the ones that are nonstick CERAMIC coated. I bought a couple of those a few years ago and they are the best nonstick pans I have ever used. You do still have to use some oil/grease but not nearly as much and clean up is a breeze. Occasionally PAM cooking spray can cook on if the heat is too high but a Mr. Clean magic eraser takes care of that in a jiffy.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Are you using me pans? You might want to invest in some stoneware or cast iron pans. Once they are seasoned, they are non-stick naturally. Just a light spray or oil and food slides right out.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've made egg muffins (mini frittatas for the fancy) a few times before and love how simple and easy it is. But they keep destroying my pans! I've greased them, used liners (huge fail), tried DIFFERENT greasing methods and I can't get these damn pans clean.

How do you all do it? I've soaked them for days, tried different brushes etc. No dice.

Instead of a muffin tin (hard to clean anyway) - just use a square baking pan and cut into squares. You can get a metal spatula in there.

Non-stick coatings get really worn down with high heat, and (bread type) muffins are typically high heat items.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have two suggestions for you. If you can't buy new pans at this time, try soaking the pans with a dryer sheet in them before you wash them. Works wonders.

Second suggestion is, if you can buy new pans get the ones that are nonstick CERAMIC coated. I bought a couple of those a few years ago and they are the best nonstick pans I have ever used. You do still have to use some oil/grease but not nearly as much and clean up is a breeze. Occasionally PAM cooking spray can cook on if the heat is too high but a Mr. Clean magic eraser takes care of that in a jiffy.

Small ramekins would work too....
  • micheledavison39
    micheledavison39 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I use a non-stick dark pie pan instead of the muffin tins with olive oil cooking spray. Usually I find that stuff sticks if you use too high of heat, cook it too long or don't cook them long enough(so no crust forms). Occasionally a little bit will stick to the pie pan but comes right off using the spatula.

Have you tried the silicon muffin tins if you are determined to make individual ones? Something else I like is Pam cooking spray with Flour for baking, never tried it with eggs but I use it for baked goods and nothing sticks with that.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Try medium to low heat so the eggs won't stick. Never had any problems before.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    What kind of pans are you using? Have you considered investing in a quality non-stick pan (Calphalon or the like) or a silicone muffin pan? I feel your pain, as I drive myself crazy trying to clean my frying pans after making scrambled eggs (I always end up with egg residue _under_ my fingernails from literally scraping them clean), but I've never had this issue with my baking pans. Spray 'em well and things should go just fine, provided that you're using a quality pan.

One other thought: I now use two pans (one inside the other) whenever I bake cupcakes or muffins...it's supposed to help avoid burning on the bottom and promote more even cooking. Perhaps give this a try to see if it makes any difference?
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Try Scotch Brite Heavy Duty Steel Wool Soap pads. I used to have to soak my pans after making baked stuffed banana peppers. Was a pretty miserable clean up job. I use these now and it just rips the stuff right out with very little effort. They should look blueish and fit in the palm of your hand.

They work great for that, counter tops, stove top, etc.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I second this! A work-friend told me about this years ago and though we gave up on fabric softener when we had kids, I still keep dryer sheets around to help me with washing-up!
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Silicone cups or parchment paper cups. THe parchment are nice but pricey
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Youre using the wrong pan!
  • kylegrace1965
    kylegrace1965 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Cook them in a water bath in the over.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Have you ever used a Dobie sponge? They get all sorts of residue (eggs and other baked-on crap) right off pans without scratching them. You also might want to pop the muffin pans into the oven for 10 or so minutes before pouring in the egg mix - that, along with some olive oil, should keep the eggs from sticking.