So I went to a nutritionist

Options
I went to see a nutritionist last week to discuss my lack of weight loss and my constant fatigue/exhaustion. She told me to send her my food diary for a week, so I did.

Today, she told me the following things
--my calorie level was fine (which surprised me, since I haven't lost any weight since placing my calories at 1740)
--my protein level was fine (I eat on average 50g per day, sometimes more sometimes less. I rarely meet my goal for protein as suggested by MFP)
--I eat too many carbs (understandable)
--I don't eat enough vegetables/fruits (also understandable, I guess I'll have to get used to bland, American-style vegetables)

Instead of suggesting exercise to help with my tiredness (she understood that I don't really have time) she told me to take an herbal supplement called Rhodiola. I've never heard of this herb and I'm a little skeptical.

What do you think? Should I go by what the nutritionist is saying?

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Did you see a nutritionist or a registered dietitian? Pretty different training requirements.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Vitamin B 12% 6 help with constant tiredness. Nutritionist wants you to buy so product I have never heard of.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Uh no.

Hard to say why you're not losing weight. More often than not, I think stalls are due to people not being accurate with food logging, particularly when it comes to weighing their food.

Your goal goal seems ok from what I see in your diary.

As to your macros, I'd suggest thinking of the MFP default protein level as a minimum. I know nothing of that supplement, but I suspect it's entirely unnecessary. And depending on the severity of the fatigue and exhaustion, I might suggest seeing a doctor. Who knows, you may have a condition that's both making you tired and hindering calorie burns.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    My personal experience when I eat too many carbs is that I find it makes me sluggish, tired, and I feel like I'm dragging it by mid afternoon. I really "crash" hard.

What's helped for me is to up my protein and fat a little to an approximate 40% (c) 30% (p), 30% (f) ratio.....more importantly for me though is to ensure that I have more than 110 grams of protein per day. Not an easy task but I do my best. I let the rest fall where it may.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Did you see a nutritionist or a registered dietitian? Pretty different training requirements.

My bad, she's a registered dietitian employed by my university.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Why would you spend the money and time to see a nutritionist and then not follow their advice? Do you have reason to distrust her? Was she licensed?

Rhodiola is just the root of a vegetable that has medicinal uses. -- http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-883-rhodiola (roseroot).aspx?activeingredientid=883&activeingredientname=rhodiola (roseroot)

What are these bland, American style vegetables to which you refer, and why must you eat them? Vegetables are as bland or spicy or savory or whatever, as you make them.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My inability to move weight and extreme fatigue has turned out to be a pretty much dead thyroid. If you know you're tracking is correct, numbers are right, and nothing is changing, I would see a doc to check for this sort of thing. As I get more correct in my levels, the weight is starting to move.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That was going to be my question. It sounds a little shady to me.
    I don't eat enough vegetables/fruits (also understandable, I guess I'll have to get used to bland, American-style vegetables)

Learn how to cook.
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Herbal supplements can help with energy but I wouldn't take one without checking with a dr. Lowering carbs and especially sugars has helped my energy levels a lot. So that may help you too.

You say that you have to get used to bland American vegetables. Are you away from your family? Is this your first time away from home? Are you from another country? Could you be depressed?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Okay, number one thing for energy = sleep. Are you getting a good regular 8-9 hours per night? Also, do you get regular sun and exercise?

Re vegetables, there's so many ways to have them. I like to steam them and put spice on them. Nothing wrong with sauteing or baking them with some olive oil as well.
  • malavika413
    Options
    Why would you spend the money and time to see a nutritionist and then not follow their advice? Do you have reason to distrust her? Was she licensed?

Rhodiola is just the root of a vegetable that has medicinal uses. -- http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-883-rhodiola (roseroot).aspx?activeingredientid=883&activeingredientname=rhodiola (roseroot)

What are these bland, American style vegetables to which you refer, and why must you eat them? Vegetables are as bland or spicy or savory or whatever, as you make them.

Appointments were free, she's employed by my university. I just find that what she was telling me seems contrary to what others have been telling me both on MFP and elsewhere.

The bland vegetables are what my dining hall offers. I eat exclusively what they offer, I'm on a college meal plan. I have no transportation and therefore cannot buy my own food.
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I always think I’ll turn purple like George Costanza if I take herbal supplements…

images_zpsd61501af.jpg
  • malavika413
    Options
    Herbal supplements can help with energy but I wouldn't take one without checking with a dr. Lowering carbs and especially sugars has helped my energy levels a lot. So that may help you too.

You say that you have to get used to bland American vegetables. Are you away from your family? Is this your first time away from home? Are you from another country? Could you be depressed?

I agree with you on the carbs/sugar. I'm from the US but I'm of Indian origin and eat almost exclusively Indian food at home. I live relatively close to home but can only go home once a month. I am depressed, yes.
  • malavika413
    Options
    Okay, number one thing for energy = sleep. Are you getting a good regular 8-9 hours per night? Also, do you get regular sun and exercise?

Re vegetables, there's so many ways to have them. I like to steam them and put spice on them. Nothing wrong with sauteing or baking them with some olive oil as well.

Can't cook my own vegetables, unfortunately. I'm at college. I get about 7 hours of sleep per night, I have a busy class schedule. I have been told 7 hours is fine. No exercise, and I get sun while walking to classes.
  • jlp19771
    jlp19771 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The nutritional counselor that I see did not suggest any sort of medicine, herbal or otherwise. She suggested that I reduce my carb intake, eat more veggies ("American" vegetable are neither bland or boring, add some herbs and spices) and increase my activity. Withing two weeks of eating fresh, natural foods, I could tell a huge difference in my energy level. It concerns my that she would recommend a supplement other than a multi-vitamin. That is unusual.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    A lot of your diary entries are by the cup or the bowlful. Unless you're weighing your food, you're probably eating quite a bit more than you think you are. Give this and the links in here a read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

And find a way to get your protein in.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Do you have a refrigerator with a freezer? If not, buy a small freezer. Ask your mom to cook you different sabzis in large quantities and pack it in single/double portion sized packets the next time you visit home. Freeze them all! If you can't cook or get to a grocery store, this might be your best option. American vegetables aren't bland, you only think so because it isn't in cooked sabzi/curry form.

When my mom visits me in the US from India, I make her do this for me, not because I don't cook but because I miss her cooking and like to have a couple of packets in the freezer for whenever I miss home. I know how hard being away from home is. Good food makes a lot of difference. Hope you feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I...I guess I'll have to get used to bland, American-style vegetables ...

Yes, we can produce some pretty boring vegetables here in the US as can other parts of the world. But there's no reason for veggies to be bland and the herbs and spices you can use to add spark to veggies don't usually add too many calories -- unless you are hitting the butter or oil.

Since you are on a college meal plan and eating those veggies to save money, carry herbs and spices in your pocket. No one says you can't whip out a good lemon-pepper grinder (Alessi is my favorite brand) and give a lift to those green beans. Also, I'm sure you buy snacks for your room -- remember veggies are good snacks, too.
  • malavika413
    Options
    Do you have a refrigerator with a freezer? If not, buy one. Ask your mom to cook you different sabzis in large quantities and pack it in single/double portion sized packets the next time you visit home. Freeze them all! If you can't cook or get to a grocery store, this might be your best option.
    When my mom visits me in the US from India, I make her do this for me, not because I don't cook but because I miss her cooking and like to have a couple of packets in the freezer for whenever I miss home. I know how hard being away from home is. Good food makes a lot of difference. Hope you feel better soon! :flowerforyou:

Nice to hear from a fellow desi. I have my mom make me food for a few days whenever I go home, but because the dining hall meal plan costs a good deal of money, my parents are insistent I eat the food from it as often as I can. It's bearable, I guess, but it makes me miss home even more.
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Is there a communal fridge in your dorm? Or better yet, can you get a mini fridge/microwave combo for your dorm room? You can get a ride to the grocery store every couple of weeks and buy some fresh food. My resident advisors and sophomore advisors used to ferry people to the grocery store when I was a freshman. Or make friends with upperclassmen in clubs or classes!